USAF mulls retirement of the F-15C/D

When the F-22 was first flown (back when I was in 7th grade), it was supposed to be a 1 for 1 replacement for the F-15C.

...and then all the armchair airpower experts cried, "it is too expensive! Let's reduce the number we purchase and get more of the less-expensive but more-capable Lightning instead!"

Park F-15C, replace with Super Hornets.

Haha......seriously, I have heard that this has been floated to the ANG........is there any truth to this? I love the SH, and am currently headed to a Rhino tour, but it ain't no Eagle for a lot of important reasons

Haha......seriously, I have heard that this has been floated to the ANG........is there any truth to this? I love the SH, and am currently headed to a Rhino tour, but it ain't no Eagle for a lot of important reasons

I had this conversation with @Hacker15e once while we were in the middle of a company directed divert after our destination went Cat III; I've never understood why the Air Force bought F-15E's while the Navy bought Super Hornets. It seems to me that the Super Hornet has enough capability to be able to do the F-15E's job well enough to satisfy the mission that the Air Force had for the airframe.

It happened with the F-4, it's happening with the F-35; why not give those guard units Super Hornets?

He seemed to have some answer that I can't remember right now, but it probably involved him shooting his watch and being reminded that's my official title at work is God.

...but the idea is to be above the mach when you Fox.

Yep, among other things. It is definitely capable, more than a baseline F-15C or any F-16, at least in some realms, but I'd much rather have the "golden eagle" if that's still what they are calling them

I had this conversation with @Hacker15e I've never understood why the Air Force bought F-15E's while the Navy bought Super Hornets. It seems to me that the Super Hornet has enough capability to be able to do the F-15E's job well enough to satisfy the mission that the Air Force had for the airframe.

The Air Force bought F-15Es a decade before the F/A-18E/F was even dreamed up in St Louis.

The Air Force's Dual Role Fighter requirement existed in the early 1980s to replace the F-111 -that's 10-15 years before the Navy's need for a strike fighter. The Super Hornet was birthed out of the cancellation of the A-12 and the realization that further upgrades to the F-14 wouldn't provide much extra capability.

I've got time in both airplanes. The Super Hornet has slicker avionics and a much better flight control system. At the time I flew them, the Super Hornet had an AESA radar while the Strike did not (now not the case - I know the guy that flew the first AESA flight on the Strike really well). The Strike Eagle just hauls more weapons, has longer legs, etc.

If the Super Hornet is God's Chariot, then the Strike Eagle is Satan's Garbage Truck.

(Sigh)

I remember when f-15s were new and were still being delivered out of St.louis.

You know you're getting old when you find the helicopter that you have flown in is on display at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

I remember flying a brand new RF-4C that had been delivered from St. Louis.

Mentioning that dipstick Rogoway is akin to speaking of McChing by name. :D

But youre right nonetheless

Oooh he said it again!

c7529e8549c0388aed35e00bdaf3814e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The disdain I used to see between light grey and dark grey peeps was interesting. Since a number of both of those people were in my squadron, it was always amusing to see them snipe each other at the bar or club. The light grey guys/gals outnumbered the dark grey ones, but the dark greys would get mutual support during these wars from the old-guy F-111 dudes. The old F-4 guys could go either way, depending on if they came from an air-ground unit or an ADC background. The viper guys largely stayed out of these pissing matches. :)

So at a bar in Panama City....

Group of light grey and dark grey guys all drinking and hating and me and two other Army pilots are just in the back and one of these light grey guys tries to drag us onto the S talking. And it's all Nav hate and other such being Eagle guys.

I turn to my buddy who before being a pilot spent a tour driving around in a gun truck in Iraq trying not to get blown up...

"Hey Mat, remember that time driving down MSR Tampa when all hell broke loose and you were on the xray net screaming Oh @&$! There are Migs everywhere. Help us! Send the eagles! We need the eagles!.... oh wait no that never happened to anybody in the last decade...."

Light grey guys left us alone the rest of the night. Dark grey guys bought us a beer.

"But but but B-52s armed with lots of AMRAAMS!" said Tyler Rogoway....

It was supposed to be the mythical B-1Rs.... which if we are being honest probably would be going faster than a Super Hornet.

Back