US Pilot Moving to Europe

Joe.genks

Hi Everybody,

I am a US flight instructor who holds a comm-mult with IFR with around 950 hours. I recently married a French citizen, and we plan on settling in Europe. I am in the process of converting all my licenses to EASA. I currently have an EASA PPL and took the first 4 exams of the ATPL, as well as obtaining an EASA 1st class medical. I am wondering if anyone has any experience looking for airline jobs in Europe coming from an FAA back ground. My plan right now is to get the ATP in the US and then convert it to EASA. From what I understand, most European airlines are looking for jet time for off-the-street hires. I would greatly appreciate any advice regarding what European airlines are looking for. I do have the right to work and live in the EU. Thank you for any help!

I'm not expert. Hope you can get some good advice. Maybe you can find an instructing job. Would probably have to speak the language. I'd get involved with sport flying and gliders. Get to know some people. Another thought was outside the EU the standards drop off, as does the pay and QOL, but you might be able to find something in like Romania and commute until you build quality experience. I guess you could do the same in the US but a harder commute.

Back