US Airways SUCKS!!!

cre8flyer

Just flew back from Africa. . . 2 flights on Emirates (Awesome airline), and then 2 flights on US Airways.

The first US flight (MUC - PHL) was OK, international service is still better than domestic.

The 2nd US flight was, I suppose, consistent with US Airways ranking at the bottom of all customer satisfaction surveys, e.g.

1. Over an hour on the tarmac with no airconditioning
2. Not a word from the crew regarding the reason or expected timing for the delay ("we appreciate your patience")
3. Pilots seen dashing off before any passengers were allowed to deplane - I'd have loved to tell them to their face how bad they suck and how no-one can stop them
4. $2 for a can of Coke? Profit margins fatter than the pharmaceutical industry!
5. Flight attendants in a pissy mood - even smiles cost these days. . .
6. 2 of 3 pieces of Luggage stayed in PHL

Anyway. . . here's my question. . .

What's the best way to make my dissatisfaction with US Airways known? Write them a letter (and receive a $25 certificate for future travel which I will not use?), or is there a way to complain to the FAA (e.g. An hour without airconditioning and $2 for a bottle of water seems F'd up enough that the FAA should know)

If you were going to SA man, should have flown JC's official airline, Southernjets! ;)

I don't understand, if you knew they were ranked at the bottom of the barrel for customer satisfaction, why would you book your tickets with them?

<p>
If you were going to SA man, should have flown JC's official airline, Southernjets!

Bro I even flew SJ back from NJC 08 just because.

The 2nd US flight was, I suppose, consistent with US Airways ranking at the bottom of all customer satisfaction surveys, e.g.

1. Over an hour on the tarmac with no airconditioning Do you mean a hour at the gate? By the way the crew more then likely has been dealing with no AC all day.
2. Not a word from the crew regarding the reason or expected timing for the delay ("we appreciate your patience") Some times there is no reason or better yet some times we aren't told.
3. Pilots seen dashing off before any passengers were allowed to deplane - I'd have loved to tell them to their face how bad they suck and how no-one can stop them That one hour you where late might mean the pilots missing their flight home. I have had a CA shut a plane down and put my bag in the bag room so I could make a flight home. I was the first one off the plane.
4. $2 for a can of Coke? Profit margins fatter than the pharmaceutical industry!
5. Flight attendants in a pissy mood - even smiles cost these days. . . Take how bad you feel and make it 5x for the FA's
6. 2 of 3 pieces of Luggage stayed in PHL For $9 hour you get 1 piece of luggage.

there a way to complain to the FAA (e.g. An hour without airconditioning and $2 for a bottle of water seems F'd up enough that the FAA should know)

Thx for the new signature.

Who cares if the crew had to work a 14hr day with no AC. Who cares if the crew only had 5 hours of sleep. Who cares that some of the crew could have missed their flight home. That is ok but damn it the FAA needs to know about $2 for a bottle fof water.

... or is there a way to complain to the FAA (e.g. An hour without airconditioning and $2 for a bottle of water seems F'd up enough that the FAA should know)

Why exactly do you think the FAA would care about that?

If you really feel like you have to complain, the DOT is where you want to go to.

So it sounds like the second flight is what made your trip crappy. What airline did you fly on for the second leg? Was it mainline or a regional? If it was a regional chances are it was on us with no APU. I can't tell you how much we have been fighting with the company in regards to working APU's.

People on American 191 would have traded with you, as would people on Delta 191 or Comair 191 or Pan Am 1736 or any of the 9-11 planes.

Change your tampon, have a refreshing beer and relax- you hurtled through the air at over 400 knots covered in the thinnest of aluminum and survived. Seems like a good outcome to me.

People on American 191 would have traded with you, as would people on Delta 191 or Comair 191 or Pan Am 1736 or any of the 9-11 planes.

Change your tampon, have a refreshing beer and relax- you hurtled through the air at over 400 knots covered in the thinnest of aluminum and survived. Seems like a good outcome to me.
What does this have to do with anything? Is it either good service or getting there alive? Can't expect both?

Maybe I'm expecting too much when I get on an airplane, but getting to the destination alive is one of those things I just well take for granted.

However I would expect a) for the cabin to be kept at room temperature and b) given the respect as a passenger to be kept abreast of the situation. His other gripes pretty much every airline does (save for the $2 cokes...that's a US Airways exclusive). We're in a customer service industry, but I've been on many many flights (mainline and regional) where it seems the employees forget that.

As a pilot I've often gotten the "you suck scowl" as they deplane when the problems weren't something I could've changed, it almost makes me want to go sit back in the cockpit and close the door until everyone gets off.

Waco-

Remember, it's still a customer service business. Kind of like going in for a haircut, the barber completely jacking up your coiffure and being answered with a shrug and a "You came for a haircut, you got one, but I didn't kill ya!"

If you want customers, you've got to take care of them. If I let a bunch of people flying to Berlin sit on a hot jet for hours without explanation, lost their bags and didn't give a poop, I'd suspect they'd probably fly AirBerlin next time. Especially since the dollar is such a joke and the differential in fare is only a scant few Euros.

Flying is our profession yes, but customer service is our business.

I understand yout thoughts - but most of his flights were great - but he goes on about the one domestic leg that sucked. You can bend over backwards for people but they will remember the one time they got warm on a plane or some other issue. Problem is, you shouldn't take arriving at your destination for granted...it is an amazing thing that has thousands of moving parts and a complex envirnment. The loss of amazement with air travel, and the focus on paying less, etc is because people take safety for granted. They shouldn't do that - it isn't luck or a birthright - it takes skill and a good team.

I'm sorry I do take arriving alive for granted. The same way I take not being killed by negligence for granted when I go to see the doctor. Its not something that you should have be advertise: 'US Airways -- we don't kill you!' If thats all they have going for them then they're FUBAR.

Honestly, between you and I, pilots do amazing things.

However, there's honestly very little excuse for sitting on an air conditionless airplane. If the APU is broken, there's ground air. If there's no ground air, there's an air cart. If there's no air cart, get a "Lewinsky" and run the packs off of it. If there's no APU, no ground air and no "Lewinsky" available, deplane the passengers until the gate hold (if any) is a lot closer.

Plus, talk to the people. They really have no idea what's going on behind the scenes at all. If it's gone absolutely pear-shaped, tell 'em! :) Seriously! Personally, if I'm sitting on a blistering aircraft in the middle of summer for an hour and my only respite is buying a $2 coke once we're finally in the air, all that wonderment of the crew not killing me, traveling at 500 mph and landing on a narrow piece of runway thousands of miles away isn't going to amount to a hill of beans.

Worst comes to worst, we've gone from near anarchy to everyone thinking we're the shiznit just with a craftily-worded PA.

I dunno, that's just how I roll.

I find it really refreshing that both wheels and doug feel the way they do. Yes many passengers are a pain, but when the crew makes an attempt to explain why, it really does go a long way. And sometimes the crew takes the brunt of it. The companies know if a flight is going to be delayed many times hours in advance, but what does it say when you look it up on the internet... on time, which just gets the pax started. I've also been on flights where the pilots reopened the cabin door and let everyone off, which makes a huge difference in one's attitude and demeanor.

I'll also add that Emirates coach service is equal to US Air domestic first class. The seats might not be as big, but they are really good in the cabin.

OK, ok...I was wrong. I just thought reporting it to the FAA a little extreme.

Do you think there is anyway PCL can tie this to the USAPA thing? BTW, what possible reason would the crew have for not running AC? Is it simply a cruelty thing, or could there be a reason?

However, there's honestly very little excuse for sitting on an air conditionless airplane. If the APU is broken, there's ground air. If there's no ground air, there's an air cart. If there's no air cart, get a "Lewinsky" and run the packs off of it. If there's no APU, no ground air and no "Lewinsky" available, deplane the passengers until the gate hold (if any) is a lot closer.

Doug apparently you don't understand the USX system.

There are no jetways (mostly) and the gates that have them, with rare exceptions don't have gate air. The Philly express ramp has 3 air carts for 39 gates. And last I checked only one was working. Charlotte had, until last week 2 working aircarts for 35 gates. They now have 4 gates with installed air carts and I think 2 floaters.

CRJs are able, but not permitted to run their packs off a huffer cart so that's out.

As far as just refusing the plane? Eh, you can try but do it more than a few times and you'll end up doing a carpet dance. The problem is, if you refuse it, some other crew will just take it and that takes away pretty much any wampoom you may have as a captain.

It's a mess out there and I don't see it getting any better.

Do you think there is anyway PCL can tie this to the USAPA thing?

Of course. ;)

This is the most bitter and pissed off group of pilots in the business. You should just expect them to treat you like crap if you ride on their airline. Just do as I do: avoid them like the plague. Let them destroy their own airline and uSAPa with it.

Back