Update on conditions for non-airline flying

but the word on the street from my former employers in the Rich People Transport Bidness seems considerably more grim than what I'm reading here. Lag time?

You nailed it. At a certain point, bills need to be paid. Many 91 and 135 operators are maximizing revenue by offering fire sale prices ... and not paying anybody other than pilots and fuel suppliers.

Lag time.

I fly CJs and a Beechjet for a small 135 operator. We're at least as busy as we were last summer. I don't know any thing about margins or discounts (above my pay grade), but I'm flying 17-20 days a month. I still got a raise in April, so either I was way underpaid to begin with, or they think they can afford it.

A few notes...

-There is a lot of pent up demand for international business travel. Issue is, no one can travel because of the closed borders.

-Same thing domestically. There is more demand for business travel than one would think, but large companies aren't sending their folks out, yet.

-For the airline folks, it would be foolish to think you can waltz right into a Part 91 or Par 135 job without having a very good connection

Nothing from Feb-June, now we’re holding steady at about 1 trip per month.

I’m projecting about 65 hours this year. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After 6 months of being unemployed, and a 3 month interview process, I was hired yesterday at a Fortune 500. The company has stores nationwide and they have a company wide airline ban for employee work travel. They are taking that ban seriously. Employees who never had access to the jets are using them now. The flight department dispatched a plane yesterday to take 2 pilots to pick up another plane coming out of maintenance. Both planes then flew back to base empty. They did the same thing when the plane was dropped off at maintenance back in July. They had to shop for a new school house because asking people to drive from the east coast to Arizona for training seemed unreasonable. This all amounts to serious money being spent to avoid having people on the airlines, even the pilots.

All that said, their usage on the planes is still way down compared to last year. Something will come up, but as of today, there is nothing on my flight schedule until the end of September. I then go to initial at the new school house in October.

After 6 months of being unemployed, and a 3 month interview process, I was hired yesterday at a Fortune 500. The company has stores nationwide and they have a company wide airline ban for employee work travel. They are taking that ban seriously. Employees who never had access to the jets are using them now. The flight department dispatched a plane yesterday to take 2 pilots to pick up another plane coming out of maintenance. Both planes then flew back to base empty. They did the same thing when the plane was dropped off at maintenance back in July. They had to shop for a new school house because asking people to drive from the east coast to Arizona for training seemed unreasonable. This all amounts to serious money being spent to avoid having people on the airlines, even the pilots.

All that said, their usage on the planes is still way down compared to last year. Something will come up, but as of today, there is nothing on my flight schedule until the end of September. I then go to initial at the new school house in October.

I'm glad that you found something. I've looking around and trying to help people. It's gettinfmg really tight out there. There are openings in the small jet and turboprop market though.

A few notes...

-There is a lot of pent up demand for international business travel. Issue is, no one can travel because of the closed borders.

-Same thing domestically. There is more demand for business travel than one would think, but large companies aren't sending their folks out, yet.

-For the airline folks, it would be foolish to think you can waltz right into a Part 91 or Par 135 job without having a very good connection
QFT...

The airports are filling up again, just traveled to position today. Definitely trending in the right direction.

I'm sorry, but that's just not supported by the numbers. The average the past seven days has been 29% of last year's numbers according to TSA checkpoint numbers. And that's not taking into account that most of those tickets are being sold at a fraction of the price they were last year, too. So revenue is probably around 20% of last year, same week.

This may be an unpopular statement, but do the airlines necessarily need to be back to 2019 pre-covid record breaking numbers to survive?

No, but they need to be close. If they're at 90%? Sure, they're fine. If they're at 70%? No, they're not. At 29%, it's airline genocide.

It isn’t. It’s just the latest numbers we have to go off of. Delta had turned a profit for like 7 straight years (possibly more, correct me if I’m wrong). So 2013 levels is about all we need to hit to be profitable again.
Not exactly. If Delta is like any other business then their operating expenses have increased by at least 3-5% per year, possibly more due to growth over the last decade. They might be able to survive at 2017 levels, but getting profitable at 2013 numbers would require substantial reductions.

The airports are filling up again, just traveled to position today. Definitely trending in the right direction. This may be an unpopular statement, but do the airlines necessarily need to be back to 2019 pre-covid record breaking numbers to survive? I mean damn near every flight was oversold and non-rev bennies became a joke as airlines started those last minute deals causing flights to pack full. I know they need more passengers than current levels, but why is 2019 pre-covid the goal for survival looking forward?
Because someone in ACM drew the graph that way or whatever.

I'm sorry, but that's just not supported by the numbers. The average the past seven days has been 29% of last year's numbers according to TSA checkpoint numbers. And that's not taking into account that most of those tickets are being sold at a fraction of the price they were last year, too. So revenue is probably around 20% of last year, same week.

No, but they need to be close. If they're at 90%? Sure, they're fine. If they're at 70%? No, they're not. At 29%, it's airline genocide.

@JDean3204 @SlumTodd_Millionaire

Airports look full if you are there during one of the banks of flights. But as an example, I think CLT is only doing 4-5 banks of fewer flights instead of 6-7 banks a day of more flights. So it looks busy if you are there in the rush. Ghost town in between.

worked with a guy in the Navy who was an E3 and his last name was tester. your name in the Navy was generally Rank - Last Name. Yes he was Seaman Tester

Supposedly the squadron leader of the Navy pilots who drew the sky penis, his last name is Stickles so his Callsign was Testes.

worked with a guy in the Navy who was an E3 and his last name was tester. your name in the Navy was generally Rank - Last Name. Yes he was Seaman Tester

I knew a couple Navy E-3s by the last names Guzzler and Steins long ago. Dated Guzzler (heheh) and her male friend (hopelessly friend-zoned) insisted his name was pronounced "stains" even though it made the situation worse. We (the collective we off duty) tried to convince him he'd be better off letting people pronounce it as "Stines" but he chose the route of suffering.

Those two names are unfortunate in any military branch.

Anecdata: At our company business travel is way down, but a lot of what business travel is being done has shifted from airline to charter. Not a long-term change due to the cost, but one which will probably persist until the pandemic is better controlled.

Gratz!

Back