Upcoming O/P test Standards

knot4u

Repeat Offender
If you know someone that's ready for their oral and practical encourage them to take them before Oct 1st.
I was curious after reading this-
FAA IMPORTANT NOTICE
FAA IMPORTANT NOTICE- If you know of anyone that is wanting to obtain their Airframe and/or Powerplant rating soon, please let them know that the FAA is getting ready to make some drastic changes to the Oral and Practical examinations. They have added a lot of more difficult projects and are changing how the exam is given. These new projects are going to require the DME's to purchase a lot more equipment and they are already talking about having to raise their prices as well. The new exam will start being given in the early fall in some regions.
The new DME standards will start in October if the dates stay true to the latest schedule. Be ready for your DME to quit unless they can find equipment to do things like helicopter weight and balance, troubleshoot a master caution system etc, etc. Of the 106 or so DME's in the whole country, about 15% say they'll shut down if the new change gets pushed through. FAA has gone outta their heads and are only making it more difficult for the average guy to get his ticket. Seriously guys, how many FBO's in the country even HAVE a helicopter? Also, it will no longer be up to the DME as to what he tests you on. His "test" will be generated from a computer from a bank of possibilities so he will have no choice as to what he asks you to perform or answer. The DME's have argued their points but much like our current administration, it all falls on deaf ears. Good luck to anyone trying to get a certificate after 1 October.

It is in FAA Order 8900.2A Chapter 6.
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/FAA_Order_8900.2.pdf

Well that's just screwed up.
It makes sense in a perfect world and is complete nonsense in the real world. Recent Squawk-RT LDG LT switch won't test or illuminate but still controls the landing light on a G-IV. Easy, change the switch lamps, nope. After much consternation the solution was a $6800 Warn Light Dim/Test Control Box. It would be unfair to expect a brand new A/P to troubleshoot that without having experience reading their wiring diagrams. Guess it won't matter if all the DMEs quit. Doesn't effect me other than trying to give a kid at my shop a solid kick in the ass to stop messing around and get it done.

Honestly? It's time that schools and examiners update their curriculum.
I won't argue that an update is a good idea. Taking away the DMEs judgement as to what areas need help based on the interview and being limited to what they are able to ask during the O/P is a bad idea in my opinion. They haven't implemented this system for pilots, why is it required for mechanics? Both have a PTS in place already. The people it may hurt the most are people trying to earn an A/P based on work experience, we have a guy trying to do that now and our DOM is ready to back him up when he goes to the FSDO to get approved to take his written. Problem is pretty much all he's ever worked on is large cabin Gulfstreams, he's never touched any small airplanes. Perhaps a better solution is having restrictions on what type of aircraft someone in his situation is allowed to sign off and having a O/P based on what they'd be likely to see in the field. An update is way overdue, I got my A/P in 1993 after attending a 2 yr program at a community college, and had to learn the reasons why a radial engine timing order was in that sequence and to demonstrate my knowledge of the inner workings of a pressure carburetor. In 22 yrs I've worked on one airplane that I actually benefitted from knowing such things.

Back