United Pulling out of JFK

Exactly! So pull out of it then! My airline doesn't need our ego stroked that we serve JFK!

So that Asian Massage Parlor on Farmers Blvd isn't actually about reflexology? WAAAAAT?!

I do wonder of how much of the JFK pull out and fortify EWR has to do with VX. For the longest time VX was only at JFK. Then we got EWR slots and do 3x daily SFO and LAX. Initially United responded by capacity dumping 16-17 flights a day. I think it's still like that. Only United and Virgin do both EWR and JFK to SFO/LAX. Anyway, United gave up on Seattle, they are out of DAL Love, and out of JFK. IMO Smisek isn't really doing a good job.

It is also interesting that Delta has scared the city officials of Dallas enough that the city politicians want to the federal court to decide re: DAL gates. It should be what was the original 'new' plan: 18 gates SWA and 2 gates VX. Time will tel what happens...

Just giving ya a hard time - you're NYC operation is likely an animal now. But, from your December 2013 Investor Day (and estimates using your publicly available data):

Edward H. Bastian - President and Director
"Yes. New York is -- you're right, New York is not at the level of profitability that we aspired towards. And we look at 2014 as the year that New York will be profitable as an overall set of hubs, and that's a very important benchmark for us. Back 4 years ago, Glen, as you know, the size we launched was in the $600 million, $700 million range, just to put a context around the size of the improvement that we've made over a period of time, so it's been significant. I don't think you fully get paid, and this is something Glen will talk about, until you are able to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. So until we have Terminal 4 open and we're building that regional connecting facility that'll be in place at Terminal 4 later this year -- or next year, rather, until you have the product, the international product in place, until you have Virgin there, until you have LaGuardia completed. So 2014 is going to be a year of another improvement. Every year, you see the margins continuing to improve. I don't ever think New York is going to be #1 on the hub parade [ph] in terms of profits, but I think there is a lot of improvement potentials to the company"

I do wonder of how much of the JFK pull out and fortify EWR has to do with VX. For the longest time VX was only at JFK. Then we got EWR slots and do 3x daily SFO and LAX. Initially United responded by capacity dumping 16-17 flights a day. I think it's still like that. Only United and Virgin do both EWR and JFK to SFO/LAX. Anyway, United gave up on Seattle, they are out of DAL Love, and out of JFK. IMO Smisek isn't really doing a good job.

It is also interesting that Delta has scared the city officials of Dallas enough that the city politicians want to the federal court to decide re: DAL gates. It should be what was the original 'new' plan: 18 gates SWA and 2 gates VX. Time will tel what happens...

I think it's more of a United story than a VX story. They are in the process of restructuring the fleet/network. My guess is they weren't getting the local traffic out of JFK, and the premium pax will be indifferent to EWR vs JFK. Move it back to their side of the river and allow better connectivity.

I think UAL is very wise for pulling back SEA and DAL -- these markets specifically are the two largest drags on domestic PRASM. Better to retrench and stick to your network strengths than to be caught in the crosshairs of those bloodbaths (same probably goes for JFK T-Con).

Last edited:
I don't know man. I kind of look at the bid package, see what layovers I can at least drink a beer or two on, someplace cool in the summer, somewhere warm in the winter, bid it, fly it, come home and scoop up doggie doo in the backyard.

Rinse.

Repeat.

I saw a presentation Bob Courtelyou during In Command and quickly learned that he knows way WAY more than I do about why he makes what planes go whatever places.

It was comforting.

You break it, you fly it, I'll run the ECAM. If you're scared, get us back to the airport. If we've got time, we've got time. Questions, concerns, thoughts? Ok, preflight checklist please.

I don't know man. I kind of look at the bid package, see what layovers I can at least drink a beer or two on, someplace cool in the summer, somewhere warm in the winter, bid it, fly it, come home and scoop up doggie doo in the backyard.

Rinse.

Repeat.

I saw a presentation Bob Courtelyou during In Command and quickly learned that he knows way WAY more than I do about why he makes what planes go whatever places.

It was comforting.

You break it, you fly it, I'll run the ECAM. If you're scared, get us back to the airport. If we've got time, we've got time. Questions, concerns, thoughts? Ok, preflight checklist please.

Hard to argue that. Unfortunately (?), after a slight course correction in college, I've resorted to managing pressurized aluminum tubes rather than operating them. Cest la vie.

How is this not collusion?

Taken from the PR

"With its launch of p.s. services at Newark Liberty, United will cease operations at Kennedy International Airport on Oct. 25. United has entered into two separate transactions: Delta Air Lines plans to acquire United's JFK slots, and United plans to acquire slots from Delta in Newark. Each transaction is subject to regulatory approval."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united-airlines-strengthens-york-jersey-160000098.html

This deal does not limit consumers' choice, can't imagine the slot swap not getting DOT/DOJ approval.

Rinse.

Repeat.

It was comforting.

Back