United (L-CAL) Begins Hiring

He was a junior FO on the 737 in the late '90s. He had a lot to say about the working conditions and the pay, and that it was the only flying job he had where he wanted to forget about all of it on his days off. Since then, they've taken so many concessions that even when he was offered recall several years back, he couldn't see himself going back. Truthfully, I didn't dig too deep. He's near retirement, and has been collecting a check airman paycheck until recently over here; for him, it was a better move to stay put.

My cousin was AF - 22 years, retired as a Colonel and went to UAL in 1997 on the 737 out of LAX. He lives in LAS and had a horrible commute, horrible job. When he was offered recall he bypassed till it was time to say no. He said no. He had used his WIF funds to get certified as a special ed teacher. His wife is a speech therapist and they both work for the school district. He is home at 2 PM every day, they have the same days off so there's no juggling, is working on a second pension and was named teacher of the year. I guess after all the years of moving around the world, stability felt good. His sons are both in the AF now, so he can live vicariously now about the flying.

If one wanted to work on the L-UAL side (base wise <--- see photo), would it be better to wait or just get one's foot in the door on the L-CAL side and hope to transfer? I had a L-CAL guy tell me that he thought they were going to open a 73 base in ORD at some point.

If one wanted to work on the L-UAL side (base wise <--- see photo), would it be better to wait or just get one's foot in the door on the L-CAL side and hope to transfer? I had a L-CAL guy tell me that he thought they were going to open a 73 base in ORD at some point.

They've already opened it, and according to a post on another forum there are 36 FO positions open in ORD for the 737.

Go get your foot in the door. At the worst you commute to Newark for a little while before you're able to get back.

Has United posted the minimums on airlineapps? It says they will be posted there, but it won't let me log in without paying my fee again, since it is long past expired. If someone could post them here, that'd be great!

Sax looks like they havent updated it or they are going with the old mins... Continental is now listed as United on Airlineapps

Their mins aren't anything particularly high.....I'd say if you're interested apply. In the past they took plenty of lower time guys, granted most had some special circumstance to aid in their hiring.

Calls going out for interviews for the week of the 22nd. Now if DAL and AMR started hiring all the legacy carriers would be hiring at once!

Saw this posted on another board...

Update from a sCAL CP
October 7
Quote:
Pilot Hiring: As most of you have heard, we will being hiring pilots “off the street” in the near future. We only expect to hire a small number (about 40) this year and then pick up at a very aggressive rate toward the end of the first quarter next year. That will be when the big hiring cycle will kick in The reason that we only need that small amount of pilots to fill the bid, is because we still have s-UAL pilots who have bypassed earlier recalls and now are eligible for employment and also, there is a group of pilots who we interviewed and planned to hire last cycle who will be the first to come back. So there is already a pool of pilots to draw from before taking from the street. In the meantime, many of you are asking about recommending friends and family. The first thing you need to do is have them fill out an application at Airlineapps.com. Have them list you as a reference and you will be sent an email to respond to. If you feel strongly enough about your candidate, come and see you Assistant Chief pilot with a resume and a reason you think your candidate deserves special attention. We will have a very limited number of pilots we can recommend for special treatment. Keep in that there are 2,000 pilots in EWR alone. If each one of you recommends just one, that is 50 times as many slots than we have for the entire airline.

Saw this posted on another board...

Update from a sCAL CP
October 7
Quote:
Pilot Hiring: As most of you have heard, we will being hiring pilots “off the street” in the near future. We only expect to hire a small number (about 40) this year and then pick up at a very aggressive rate toward the end of the first quarter next year. That will be when the big hiring cycle will kick in The reason that we only need that small amount of pilots to fill the bid, is because we still have s-UAL pilots who have bypassed earlier recalls and now are eligible for employment and also, there is a group of pilots who we interviewed and planned to hire last cycle who will be the first to come back. So there is already a pool of pilots to draw from before taking from the street. In the meantime, many of you are asking about recommending friends and family. The first thing you need to do is have them fill out an application at Airlineapps.com. Have them list you as a reference and you will be sent an email to respond to. If you feel strongly enough about your candidate, come and see you Assistant Chief pilot with a resume and a reason you think your candidate deserves special attention. We will have a very limited number of pilots we can recommend for special treatment. Keep in that there are 2,000 pilots in EWR alone. If each one of you recommends just one, that is 50 times as many slots than we have for the entire airline.

I should add that the calls are going out to people already in the L-UAL pool. The above looks like begining of next year is going to get interesting.

Yup, as these guys said, legacy. You'll see it with most of the merged airlines, lik L-XJT, L-ASA, or L-DAL and L-NWA.
Gotcha. I thought with Delta everybody used fNWA and fDAL, which I assumed means "former" (or something significantly less polite).

Gotcha. I thought with Delta everybody used fNWA and fDAL, which I assumed means "former" (or something significantly less polite).

You know, you could be right. We're using the L- thing with our merger right now, and I thought it had been the same with all the other carriers. Could be wrong, though.

You know, you could be right. We're using the L- thing with our merger right now, and I thought it had been the same with all the other carriers. Could be wrong, though.

Didn't understand why we were using "L-XJT/L-ASA" since we really aren't a legacy airline. I think F-XJT/F-ASA would make more sense but hey what do I know.

Back