United Hiring Update

Aero Crew Solutions

I will be having a conference call with United tomorrow about the SFO job fair. The United HR team was kind enough to give me some information about their hiring plans for 2014 - 2015 and I wanted to share it with everyone.

We are hiring!

United Airlines continues to fill classes with a combination of pilots recalled from furlough and new hire pilots. We will continue to screen applicants for placement in a pool awaiting future class dates.

Pilot Hiring FAQ – October, 2014

Is United planning to hire in 2014 and 2015?

Yes. Hiring continues in 2014 and in to 2015. Successful candidates who have been placed in our hiring pool are offered class dates in order of their chronological placement in the pool.

Does United still have pilots on furlough?

No. United Airlines has recalled all pilots who were furloughed in 2008 and 2009. Some furloughed pilots have elected to bypass their recall opportunity but retain the right to return to available positions for up to 10 years from their date of furlough.

What aircraft and bases can new hires expect?

Vacancies for our new-hire pilots are created when there are an insufficient number of active United pilots to fill the available vacancies. In 2014, most of our new-hire pilots were assigned to the B737, A320, and B757/B767 in EWR. Our other pilot bases include IAH, LAX, SFO, SEA, DEN, ORD, IAD, CLE, and Guam.

Could a new-hire get assigned to Guam?

Yes. Our Pacific operation is a critical element of our global network. Pilots staffed in Guam have a unique opportunity to fly throughout Micronesia and Asia. This is a B737 base only and right now is staffed with only volunteers.

Where do I apply for a position at United?

We are using AirlineApps.com as our application portal. www.airlineapps.com

How often do I need to keep my application updated with AirlineApps.com?

It is important to keep your application updated at least once every 180 days or less.

What does the hiring process look like for the new United?

Qualified applicants are selected for screening in rank order and begin the process by an invite to take an online Job Fit Assessment. Applicants who continue to meet the desired criteria following the assessment are invited to participate in a Skills Assessment and a panel interview at our Flight Training Center located in Denver, Colorado.

How much hiring are you planning to do?

Hiring needs are derived by looking at a combination of factors including retirements, furlough bypass and leave returns, flying levels, and available training capacity. United will continue to replace pilots who are retiring and we attempt to maintain a sufficient number of successful applicants in a hiring pool to meet our short-term staffing needs. We expect the need to be in excess of 400 new pilots in 2014 and probably around 800 in 2015. The number of interviews we conduct in 2014 and 2015 is dependent on the size of our pool of successful candidates, manpower projections and the number of pilots who return to United from leave.

How will my seniority work if I am hired?

A new-hire pilot will be placed on the system seniority list junior to all active pilots. Any recalled United pilot who opts to return from bypass status (see 2nd question above) and is placed in training with new-hire pilots will exercise their system seniority in choice of base and aircraft. Remaining base and aircraft assignments in each new-hire class are available to new-hire pilots.

What do retirements look like at United?

United will retire approximately 2,000 pilots in the next five years, over 4,000 pilots in the next ten, and nearly its entire seniority list in the next twenty years.

What are minimum qualifications?

Applicants must possess an unrestricted FAA ATP certificate, including 1000 hours of fixed-wing turbine time. A college degree is preferred as is additional experience and attributes that are of value to United. Please see United.jobs or AirlineApps.com for more detail.

Why should I consider United Airlines?

United is the world’s leading airline and is focused on being the airline customers want to fly, the airline employees want to work for and the airline shareholders want to invest in.

Highlights of United Airlines include:

• World’s most comprehensive global route network, including world-class international gateways to Asia and Australia, Europe, Latin America, Africa and the Middle East with non-stop or one-stop service from virtually anywhere in the United States
  • A modern fleet which is the most fuel efficient (when adjusted for cabin size), and the best current aircraft order book among U.S. network carriers
  • Industry-leading loyalty program that provides more opportunities to earn and redeem miles worldwide
  • Optimal hub locations in 10 cities, including hubs in the four largest cities in the United States
  • Rated the world’s most admired airline on FORTUNE magazine’s 2012 airline-industry list of the World’s Most Admired Companies

Thanks for the update.

How is the best way to get immediate updates that the finite number of tickets for a "job fair" and opportunity to meet face-to-face with United HR at such an event in the future? Twitter? You guys have a newsletter, etc.?

Does vmc-circling only count as a restriction? Or is the unrestricted ATP in reference to new 1500 hr rule?

Back