United Backs Down, Will Keep Meals on Trans-Atlantic Flights

tonyw

Here's the text of the letter.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Thank you for your direct, candid feedback on the test we had planned to launch in the fourth quarter for food choices on some of our flights. We heard you and have decided not to move forward with the test of offering customers buy-on-board options in United Economy on certain trans-Atlantic flights. We will continue to offer complimentary hot meals on those flights.

The response from you and many of our corporate customers, even before we launched the test, told us what we would have undoubtedly learned had we proceeded – you value our hot meal service in economy class for international flights.

In this environment, where higher costs driven by volatile fuel prices are now the norm, we must continue to tailor products and services so that we provide you with choices and competitive fares. As such, we will continue to be proactive in testing new ideas.

On October 1, we will proceed with the test of new, complimentary options for United Business customers on three-cabin aircraft used for domestic routes, which represents 16 daily flights. Customers on these flights will receive complimentary fresh sandwiches, salads, breakfast, snack boxes or snacks, depending on the length of flight and time of departure. They will also continue to enjoy complimentary beverages, including beer, wine and cocktails. We will evaluate the results and determine next steps by the end of the year.

It's also important to note that full meals will still be served on our p.s. transcontinental flights.

Thank you again for your feedback. We will continue to listen and make changes that enable us in this environment to provide you with the choices you value.
[/FONT]

I like that first line -- direct, candid feedback.

Probably along the lines of you bungholes, you cut this and I will never fly your sorry ass again.

Airline management has to get it through their heads that you do not cut your way to prosperity.

They keep on nickel and diming things, but they just won't accept the reality.

You cannot charge people less than what it costs to provide a service and expect to remain solvent.

Until they get this simple fact through their heads, they will continue to prove Einstein right.

Re: United Backs Down, Will Keep Meals on Trans-Atlantic Fli

I'm still dumbfounded how UAL thought they were going to be able to compete as a global carrier with a FFP program?!

It's like they are trying to lose business.

so is that what prompted the 1500 FA layoff then? heard that on the news last night....cuts gotta come from somewhere i suppose might as well take out the labor again if people aren't willing to pay :(

granted, i don't like the pay for overseas meal either..think it's a horrible idea but what's interesting is they're cutting 1500 FA only positions, no pilots, no gate agents (at least from what i've heard)...just FA's...so is that because they're not unionized or are they unionized? i'm assuming not since united just up and cut a whole slew of jobs.

I think it was something like 1500 FAs and 950 Pilots.

UAL F/As

so is that what prompted the 1500 FA layoff then? heard that on the news last night....cuts gotta come from somewhere i suppose might as well take out the labor again if people aren't willing to pay :(

granted, i don't like the pay for overseas meal either..think it's a horrible idea but what's interesting is they're cutting 1500 FA only positions, no pilots, no gate agents (at least from what i've heard)...just FA's...so is that because they're not unionized or are they unionized? i'm assuming not since united just up and cut a whole slew of jobs.

The flight attendants furloughed first are those that are not based in the USA. No flight attendants from the SEA-SFO-LAX-ORD-IAD-NYC-DEN bases will be affected because the ones that get cut are based in SIN and someplace else in southeast Asia, I forget where.

Incidentally they apparently receive better ratings in customer satisfaction in any category than the United Airlines flight attendants based in the US. This was told to me by a flight instructor I had for a few lessons who had formerly been a UAL F/A before she learned to fly.

While I'm thinking of it...what an awesome choice of bases United has.

I can't believe people care. All the things that make flying a terrible experience and the most important thing to people is making DAMN SURE they don't have to spend a few bucks at subway before the flight?

Might be more of a psychological thing as food service breaks up the monotony on a trans-atlantic hop.

well, they would still have food service.. you'd just have to pay for it if you wanted it.

United F/As are a part of the AFA, they are unionized.

Back