United Airlines cutting 950 pilot jobs

darrenf

resident denizen
United Airlines to cut 950 pilot jobs starting in July as it trims fleet amid high fuel prices CHICAGO (AP) -- United Airlines said Monday it plans to eliminate about 950 pilot jobs beginning this summer in addition to an already announced plan to cut 1,600 salaried positions and reduce its fleet.

The second-largest U.S. carrier told its pilots union about the cuts Monday and said it's still working out the reductions with the group. Dave Kelly, a spokesman for the United branch of the Air Line Pilots Association, declined to comment.
The initial furlough notices will go out in mid-July and take effect in September, United spokeswoman Megan McCarthy said. The cuts will continue into next year, she said.
United has about 6,600 active pilots, McCarthy said.

At an investors' conference last week, United executives gave details on plans to shed up to 1,600 salaried jobs but didn't specify what those positions would be. The cuts announced Monday are in addition to those reductions, McCarthy said.

"As we reduce the size of our fleet and take actions companywide to enable United to compete in an environment of record fuel prices, we must take the difficult but necessary step to reduce the number of people we have to run our business," the company said a statement.

Chicago-based United parent UAL Corp. has made a series of moves in recent weeks to battle rising fuel costs, including grounding at least 70 planes. On Friday, UAL announced it will start requiring minimum stays for nearly all domestic coach seats beginning in October and is raising its cheapest fares by as much as $90 one-way.
United and US Airways also recently joined American Airlines in charging passengers $15 to check their first piece of luggage.

UAL shares fell $1.07, or 15 percent, to $6.09 Monday.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080623/united_pilots.html

Man, get ready folks, its going to get worse.:(

Very sad indeed. Many if not most of these people had recently returned from an extended post-09/11 furlough.

If anyone there knows Gary Ranno or Craig Mischler have them give me a call.

Terrible, A once 10,000 strong pilot force is now cut in half, wages are cut in half, retirement gone, outlook abysmal, hope non-existent. But at least Glenn Tilton's job is safe.

Another reason for me to start working on an online MBA.

being self employed is great. My boss has never been forced to consider layoffs. However, paid vacations are still in the works... :)

i've thought about the online MBA on and off for a few years. The answer I keep getting is, like anything else, without experience in the field, what does the MBA get you?

Let me know if you find a reasonably priced online program and what direction you're headed. I may do the same thing

Very sad indeed. Many if not most of these people had recently returned from an extended post-09/11 furlough.

If anyone there knows Gary Ranno or Craig Mischler have them give me a call.

Do you recall what airframe they are on or their base? There is a UA ORD 767ER-CA in my flying club that may know the,

i've thought about the online MBA on and off for a few years. The answer I keep getting is, like anything else, without experience in the field, what does the MBA get you?

Let me know if you find a reasonably priced online program and what direction you're headed. I may do the same thing

You're right - the best situation would be to take an entry level position at a company that will pay for at least part of your MBA courses.

This is just the start of things to come. UAL was the first out of the gate. I doubt they will be the last. Terrible news.

Nah. No idea. Gary was a friend from Chautauqua when we were both Jetstream drivers. (See? You CAN go to a major without RJ time) And Craig was my freshman college room-mate.

No biggie.

Man, this blows for sure. Question. Will the furloughs go in senority order or will they dump out of senority and get rid of 73 guys first.

Man, this blows for sure. Question. Will the furloughs go in senority order or will they dump out of senority and get rid of 73 guys first.

We're talking about one, a major airline and two, a UNIONIZED airline. So no, they will not dump out of seniority

There's an accounting term for this.

LIFO.

Last In, First Out.

That actually applies to the way inventory is handled, but it definitely applies to the way furloughs will be handled here.

To be fair to United, a lot of companies are like this too.

If United is like most employers, they will offer buyouts to employees with more time in to take them off the payroll. You save more money when you terminate a more senior employee because they've got bigger paychecks.

And then if that doesn't work, they will go to the last folks in and lay them off.

It's based on senority, so yes, it's senority order. ;) Starting with the most junior, and moving up from the bottom of the list.

It's like reverse racism, it's still racism. :)

Call it what ever you want. I'm not in the mood to argue semantics.

being self employed is great. My boss has never been forced to consider layoffs. However, paid vacations are still in the works... :)

Now that's what I'm talking about. That is exactly what my Granddad did after he was shafted by Eastern for the third and last time. His only regret was that he didn't do it earlier.

Back