United A320 hail incident ORD

greg1016

Trustworthy Source
Oh I have a story about an Air France who went left when everyone else went right, I thought that was going to be another 447. That was way out over the ocean so no radar of any type. That's one for beers though.

roundout

Bus Driver
IMO the CRT screen on the older planes (especially when sun is hitting it) is the weak spot. Even with the screens turned up all the way and weather displayed as bright as it'll go, it can require some squinting to see what's being displayed.
This is the weakest link in the classic birds at my shop, too. The radar works fine, you just can't see what it's showing you unless it's dark outside.

Derg

New Arizona, Il Duce/Warlord
Staff member
Just be prepared to use your emergency authority.

I listened to a guy call up and say “we’re turning 20 degree right for weather” and the reply was “are you declaring an emergency?” and of course he responded “well no we just need to go right” and the controller gave him a phone number because he turned into traffic.
This happened with me a few years about on approach into PHX.

”Monsoon” season, big freaking cell dead ahead, the approach controllers voice starts getting faster and higher pitched, couldn’t get a word in edgewise, we took 15 left to avoid the cell, when we finally got a chance to chime in, we self-reported that we were coming back on course after a deviation, the controller looses his poop and issues us a phone number.

It went nowhere, but hilariously, I was flying with the ALPA ATC rep who was also a former controller so the exchange over the radio was a little ‘spirited’. I’ll have to find the “tape” on that.

KLB

This happened with me a few years about on approach into PHX.

”Monsoon” season, big freaking cell dead ahead, the approach controllers voice starts getting faster and higher pitched, couldn’t get a word in edgewise, we took 15 left to avoid the cell, when we finally got a chance to chime in, we self-reported that we were coming back on course after a deviation, the controller looses his poop and issues us a phone number.

It went nowhere, but hilariously, I was flying with the ALPA ATC rep who was also a former controller so the exchange over the radio was a little ‘spirited’. I’ll have to find the “tape” on that.
I really think the program where ATC can sit in the jumpseat needs to come back so that they can observe it from our perspective and vice versa. It's nothing worse than when you are approaching a huge cell, the frequency is busy, and you can't get a word in edge wise without stepping all over someone. I usually take a quick look at TCAS and take what I need. I also note the time and position. If I have to ASAP later....well I just ASAP it later.

Derg

New Arizona, Il Duce/Warlord
Staff member
I really think the program where ATC can sit in the jumpseat needs to come back so that they can observe it from our perspective and vice versa. It's nothing worse than when you are approaching a huge cell, the frequency is busy, and you can't get a word in edge wise without stepping all over someone. I usually take a quick look at TCAS and take what I need. I also note the time and position. If I have to ASAP later....well I just ASAP it later.
Wholeheartedly agree!

nabbyfan

It’s still there, it’s just a huge pain to actually make it happen with leave, staffing, and paperwork. I’ve done it 3-4x and it really has been interesting and put some things in perspective. Programs on hold for COVID, but hopefully it comes back soon.

Ive only ever seen a handful of pilots come into the Center, but I think that would be super helpful too. Had a SKW guy monitor me for an hour or so, and his big takeaway was just because I’m not talking on the radio doesn’t mean I’m not busy haha.

KLB

Ive only ever seen a handful of pilots come into the Center, but I think that would be super helpful too. Had a SKW guy monitor me for an hour or so, and his big takeaway was just because I’m not talking on the radio doesn’t mean I’m not busy haha.
it’s true! I really was on the landline!
Yeah yeah yeah. I just know you guys and gals are in their pleading the case of why you aren't killers and saboteurs on "Among Us". j/k

:)

JordanD

Honorary Member
I wish I had the tape of the weather day last year and every single plane thanked me for the accuvectors through the chit. Wx def complicates everything but it ain’t that hard.
I’ve had that out of LGA, it’s pretty impressive. Had a really busy controller in FLL do that for us recently and it was almost like she was sitting in the Jumpseat vectoring is it was so accurate in keeping us out of everything.

amichael

Question for you ATC folks: if we can't get a word in on a busy frequency but need something ASAP like a deviation for wx, I've been told to hit IDENT. Is that bad, good, useless, annoying?

Space Monkey

I've found that having a pre-determined "deviation fix" established generally works quite well. If you are coming up on a Wx system and have determined that you need to deviate, before you call for the deviation, instead of a "right" or "left" deviation, have published fix in mind that will keep you clear of the weather. Then ask ATC to go to that fix (or just tell them you're going there for Wx and that you'll report direct to XYZ when able).

I have found that controllers are VERY receptive to this approach to Wx deviations. Using it has gotten me around not just lousy Wx, but also around the confusion and chatter of the madding crowd asking for random deviations. It's definitive and determinate and seems to make controllers' lives much easier (probably because it lets them know precisely where you are and precisely where you are going).

Last edited:

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Question for you ATC folks: if we can't get a word in on a busy frequency but need something ASAP like a deviation for wx, I've been told to hit IDENT. Is that bad, good, useless, annoying?
useless. All it does is literally make “ID” flash a couple times next to your callsign and if I wasn’t asking you to ident it means nothing to me. I always see this given out as advice on forums and Facebook and it’s just not accurate. There seems to be some myth that identing does this huge thing on our scope, but it doesn’t.