Unemployment woes...

While I certainly empathize with your position, ( I've been furloughed twice,) and I don't want to turn this into a union good/bad thing, keep in mind that national isn't the one to offer anything to you. Any response for furloughed pilots should start with their MEC and fellow pilots. They are the ones who should be helping you.

I am glad to see that you finally got things worked out. I read alot on this forum and others where new pilots to the 121 world, especially young regional guys, get frustrated quickly with the industry. Does no one read "Flying the Line I, II, III" to get an understanding of what they are getting into? Or do they just believe the stories that still circulate, decribing the lifestyle from the 70's and 80's and that just don't exist anymore.

I think you're overlooking one thing- his airline isn't ALPA. It's Teamsters. GOod luck to him and all the Republic furloughees getting ANY help whatsoever.

Chia hit it on the head. Any type of assistance starts at the local level.

During our post-2001 furloughs, we had a "emergency" fund and covered the COBRA benefits of our furloughed pilots for those that needed it, but it was all done at the MEC level.

I know it's easy to say "shoulda/woulda/coulda" but the union leadership should have already been working on the game plan on handling furloughed pilots.

I think you're overlooking one thing- his airline isn't ALPA. It's Teamsters. GOod luck to him and all the Republic furloughees getting ANY help whatsoever.

Chia hit it on the head. Any type of assistance starts at the local level.

During our post-2001 furloughs, we had a "emergency" fund and covered the COBRA benefits of our furloughed pilots for those that needed it, but it was all done at the MEC level.

I know it's easy to say "shoulda/woulda/coulda" but the union leadership should have already been working on the game plan on handling furloughed pilots.

Like Doug says, it all starts at the local level, regardless of who the union is. If your fellow pilots that aren't being furloughed don't care enough to do anything for you, why should the national leadership? And that should be a BIG RED flag to anyone who is still there, thinking of taking a recall, or applying in the future.

Like Doug says, it all starts at the local level, regardless of who the union is. If your fellow pilots that aren't being furloughed don't care enough to do anything for you, why should the national leadership? And that should be a BIG RED flag to anyone who is still there, thinking of taking a recall, or applying in the future.

Our local level? Haha!! I'm sure they're decent guys, but lets be honest, they are so high up the seniority list that they only care about what effects them. Not the 150 junior guys out of a job. Not to mention, they're busy dealing with the Midwest crapstick.

But in all honesty, these furloughs were going to take place long before the Midwest deal was announced, and I never received a single union correspondence regarding anything about being furloughed. Screw the union.

So, playing devil's advocate....what if the downturn last 6 months to a year? Are you gonna take a job you can get or are you gonna insist that you stay in the same profession and collect unemployment? Remember, you have to be actively looking for work and have not turned down any job offers in order to keep getting unemployment.

IMO, the people that insist they MUST stay in one career field while still collecting unemployment are no better than the "low lifes" that game the system.

You're a smart guy Kell, so I'm going to assume you had the wrong glasses on or maybe drank a bit too much rum here.

I'm furloughed, not fired. A recall is expected, the timeframe is unknown. I was happy with my position at Republic, therefore it is in my best interest to patiently wait a few months and see if a recall happens. I shouldn't be forced to search for another job right now. I've paid into unemployment benefits, now is the time to collect those.

I can seek a temporary position somewhere, but if recalled I'd like to go back. That narrows the job choices to temp work at local stores. Ain't gonna happen. I'm not strapping on a blue vest and selling floor tiles at Lowes if I don't have too. And if that pisses somebody off, good. If that makes people think I'm "milking" the system like the other "low lifes", than thats the funniest thing I've heard. I'm on the same level as crack heads in the inner city collect money that they've never paid into? Absurd.

My plan is to start collecting some sort of income ASAP. That means unemployment. I'm seeking other job opportunities in the mean time, but in the mean time I need to pay bills. I'm considering a career switch, but these things take time. Time that unemployment provides.

I just find if so ironic people who bad mouth pilots on unemployment. Anyone of you could be furloughed tomorrow and see you last check in a week. Oh how quickly your tongue would be in the back of your mouth as you call the unemployment office. Ridiculous.

Re: Vagabond

Whaaat!

Not that this is a big part of my life or anything but I do regularly peruse the APC forums and there have been about a thousand references by user 'vagabond' that indicate said user is female, now to even include that the description under the username says "mom." I guess I believe you but are ya sure?

The entire time that Vagabond was helping me, I never spoke to HER over the phone, just PM's. Somehow I COMPLETELY missed the signs! :panic: you were right, he is a she...... Either way, an extraordinary human being!

Back