Unemployment woes...

Finish out my 20yrs with the Feds and give me my pension.

I regret leaving active duty about halfway through. Sometimes I think it was the worst decision I ever made. But knowing that the government "owns" you, was the one thing I hated the most about the Navy.
Good luck

Rick-

Prozac much, buddy? Relax or beat it.

[modhat]Edit: Whoops, didn't realize I was responding to a 'deleted' post.

Nothing to see here, move along, move along! :)[/modhat]

My wife, the HR director, says that you need to file where your employer prior to Republic paid the taxes. That is because for benefits applied for in Sept, 2008, the base year is April, 2007 to March, 2008. So, if you started your new job in 2008, you probably were not employed long enough to collect under your new employer because there are minimums you must make in your base year to be eligible. If they don't know about the earnings during the 3 quarters in 2007, then that is why they are saying you didn't earn enough.

Correct, and even if you did pay enough into Republic the money set aside is for YOU, no matter who you work for. Once the money Republic was used they would go back to your previous employer for your benefits. You do need to apply in the state of your last job (Maryland?).

For those pilots getting frustrated, this is a perfect example that this issue is facing many, in many industries. Hang in there, and things will get better.

It took me 2 months to start getting any type of payment from unemployment and it's just that so many are unemployed right now that it's taking longer and longer to get on "the list". since Bush signed in an extension for those already on employment, it's taking just as long for the paperwork to go thru which is what the hold up is all about.

expect it to take 2 months, if not longer to start getting any type of funding....if you don't have at least 3-6 months saved up, you're gonna be hurting, no doubt about it.

i had my first interview scheduled for wed and it just cancelled due to the city i was applying with starting a hiring freeze. :(

quit mooching off unemployment and go get a job part time job... sickens me there are other things to do temporarily than fly out there and even if u want to fly there are thousands of fbo's to instruct at

I am not a low class trash piece of scum that constantly milks the unemployment system. The reason unemployment benefits exist, are for people who are involuntary put out of work. Trained professionals, who lose their jobs. The problem is, that when the trained professionals lose their job, they have to knock down doors to get money that is DESERVED. For some low life burger flippin crack head, all they do is sign the form and their money is handed to them. Thats worse than highway robbery.

It sickens me that I should even have to think about going to work at Burger king, or pizza hut, or a local department store. I am trained professional. I have invested thousands into my education, I shouldn't have to go scraping the bottom of the mud barrel. I am entitled to unemployment benefits, much more so than the piece of garbage losers that rob the system. And just an FYI, I have other ways to earn money, but it in no way can fill the gap of a missing paycheck!

I don't even know why I just wasted my time typing this, when I'd much rather meet you behind a local 7-11. :rolleyes:

Dale, I wouldn't blame you if you went back to the Coasties. It's a job, it pays the bills and you can't get laid off!:D How many years did you already serve? Does the Coast Guard have a reserve componant? If so you could look into that and possibly getting some active TDY orders for a bit, till the industry regains it's upswing.

quit mooching off unemployment and go get a job part time job... sickens me there are other things to do temporarily than fly out there and even if u want to fly there are thousands of fbo's to instruct at

Because clearly Airdale is a low life individual who has been mooching off unemployment. :rolleyes:

I yi yi. . .:rolleyes:

I am not a low class trash piece of scum that constantly milks the unemployment system. The reason unemployment benefits exist, are for people who are involuntary put out of work. Trained professionals, who lose their jobs. The problem is, that when the trained professionals lose their job, they have to knock down doors to get money that is DESERVED. For some low life burger flippin crack head, all they do is sign the form and their money is handed to them. Thats worse than highway robbery.

It sickens me that I should even have to think about going to work at Burger king, or pizza hut, or a local department store. I am trained professional. I have invested thousands into my education, I shouldn't have to go scraping the bottom of the mud barrel. I am entitled to unemployment benefits, much more so than the piece of garbage losers that rob the system. And just an FYI, I have other ways to earn money, but it in no way can fill the gap of a missing paycheck!

I don't even know why I just wasted my time typing this, when I'd much rather meet you behind a local 7-11. :rolleyes:

:yeahthat:

I've already nearly been sent off the JC propertyd am(probably rightly so deleted)for my pointed and knee jerk response to this young ATP flight instructor that has no business posting in this subforum. You are a veteran, and a professional and don't feel the need to even respond to this adolescent comment from a wannabe.

I used my 6 months unemployment after 9/11 when I was furloughed and there was zero opportunities for finding work of any kind in my field.

I did not, and DO not feel any shame for taking advantage of the benefits that *I* paid into the system for YEARS (a decade) to help fund. Anybody is free to have whatever opinion they want of me utilizing my unemployment benefits. And if they don't like it I really don't care :)

I used my 6 months unemployment after 9/11 when I was furloughed and there was zero opportunities for finding work of any kind in my field.

I did not, and DO not feel any shame for taking advantage of the benefits that *I* paid into the system for YEARS (a decade) to help fund. Anybody is free to have whatever opinion they want of me utilizing my unemployment benefits. And if they don't like it I really don't care :)

My feeling is that the money that is paid into unemployment, comes from people who have proven that they can hold a job. More specifically, a job in a certain profession. These are the people who deserve that money, not guys who jump from job to job just to collect unemployment every 6 months. I know of guys who have quit jobs at Home Depot, Walmarts, Restaurants etc. and yet they have no problem collecting unemployment. They quit!! How the hell can someone collect unemployment after they willingly quit a job? I've only collect once and that was right out of the military for 4 months.

On a good note, I received a call today from a buddy of mine (Thanks Mac!) who basically explained the flaw in the system and how to file properly. Well I spent 2 hours on the phone, but I was able to file in New Jersey under an interstate claim. As it turns out, the friendly folks at unemployment fail to mention that interstate claim the first time they turned me away. Looks like I'll finally be getting a few checks. Thanks again Mac!

So, playing devil's advocate....what if the downturn last 6 months to a year? Are you gonna take a job you can get or are you gonna insist that you stay in the same profession and collect unemployment? Remember, you have to be actively looking for work and have not turned down any job offers in order to keep getting unemployment.

IMO, the people that insist they MUST stay in one career field while still collecting unemployment are no better than the "low lifes" that game the system.

At least in Georgia, it was "You have to be actively looking for a job similar to your previous job, and have not turned down a job that was similar to that of your previous position."

So. . .a great deal of wiggle room. As a full time student last year, I was actively looking for meterologist positions. . .but none were offered, so I have none to turn down. So, combine being a veteran, with being a full time student, I actually wasn't required to search for a job since I was a full time student in a program that would provide employment following completion of training.

It all worked out.

Nevertheless, the ignorant ones will continue to rant and rave with their elitest mindset considering they themselves have no position to stand on when they're preaching.

Unemployment has to be pretty close to what you made as a 1st year FO, my checks after tax on my first year were something like $600. I actually made more when I was working in high school at a super market checking in vendors. Now that I think about it, that's messed up!!! I say milk it until you can't anymore unless a good job comes your way. No sense going to work at McDonald's for what (or close to what) you can make on unemployment.

Vagabond

Him. He helped me till this FAT job came available. His name is Vegabond, GREAT guy!!!

Whaaat!

Not that this is a big part of my life or anything but I do regularly peruse the APC forums and there have been about a thousand references by user 'vagabond' that indicate said user is female, now to even include that the description under the username says "mom." I guess I believe you but are ya sure?

So, playing devil's advocate....what if the downturn last 6 months to a year? Are you gonna take a job you can get or are you gonna insist that you stay in the same profession and collect unemployment? Remember, you have to be actively looking for work and have not turned down any job offers in order to keep getting unemployment.

IMO, the people that insist they MUST stay in one career field while still collecting unemployment are no better than the "low lifes" that game the system.

Remember that unemployment benefits only last 6 months. That's not that long. Why shouldn't someone spend 6 months looking for work in their field? That's what you're trained for, that's where your experience is. If after 6 months nothing has come up, then the unemployment benefits are done and at that point enough time has passed where different paths need to be explored.

Re: Vagabond

Whaaat!

Not that this is a big part of my life or anything but I do regularly peruse the APC forums and there have been about a thousand references by user 'vagabond' that indicate said user is female, now to even include that the description under the username says "mom." I guess I believe you but are ya sure?

Affirmative. Female.

I am thoroughly pissed off. The Union I paid dues to for 8 months has offered nothing in the way of help to us furloughed pilots.

While I certainly empathize with your position, ( I've been furloughed twice,) and I don't want to turn this into a union good/bad thing, keep in mind that national isn't the one to offer anything to you. Any response for furloughed pilots should start with their MEC and fellow pilots. They are the ones who should be helping you.

I am glad to see that you finally got things worked out. I read alot on this forum and others where new pilots to the 121 world, especially young regional guys, get frustrated quickly with the industry. Does no one read "Flying the Line I, II, III" to get an understanding of what they are getting into? Or do they just believe the stories that still circulate, decribing the lifestyle from the 70's and 80's and that just don't exist anymore.

On a good note, I received a call today from a buddy of mine (Thanks Mac!) who basically explained the flaw in the system and how to file properly. Well I spent 2 hours on the phone, but I was able to file in New Jersey under an interstate claim. As it turns out, the friendly folks at unemployment fail to mention that interstate claim the first time they turned me away. Looks like I'll finally be getting a few checks. Thanks again Mac!

Thanks for putting that info up. I'm in the same boat as you ( I haven't called up yet, but I will soon) for unemployment in jersey but the company being based out of ohio. So when you called, you told them to file an interstate claim and that worked? thanks!

Back