understanding this reg

splash

your social justice comic center
These are 3 questions taken from the CFI written that I'm having a little trouble understanding.

1. A flight instructor who applies for an additional rating on that certificate must have a min. of how many hours as pilot in command in the category and class of aircraft appropriate to the rating sought?
Answer is ...15

2. Certain flight training is required for the issuance of a certificate. If that training is in a helicopter or multiengine airplane, the instructor is required, in part, to have ...
Answer is ...at least 5 hours of experience as pilot in command in the make and modle of aircraft involved.

3. The minimum pilot-in-command time requirement for a flight instructor with multiengne privileges to give flight training to a student for a multi rating is...
Answer is ...5 hours in the make and modle of aircraft in which training is to be given.

Questions 1 Vs. Question 2&3

Does this mean 15 in make and modle to take a check ride in that make and modle and 5 in other make and modle to give instructon? Thanks in advance.

If I remember right if you go for your MEI, you need 15 hours of PIC. Say after you got your license in a Seneca, but I go to a flight school that only has Duchess, before you can teach in a duchess you must have five hours in it. Someone back me up?

Does this mean 15 in make and model to take a check ride in that make and model and 5 in other make and model to give instruction? Thanks in advance.

No, it means 15 hours in the CLASS to take the checkride. So for a ME aircraft, you need at least 15 hours PIC in a ME airplane. You could conceivably accumulate 15 hours PIC in an Apache, then run take your checkride in a Cessna 310.

Before you can actually instruct anyone towards a certificate or rating in a ME aircraft, you need 5 hours PIC in the make and model. If this is the same aircraft you took your MEI checkride in, you don't need any additional hours, since you already exceed the minimum. So if you had a student who wanted to do his ME add-on in a Cessna 310, you need 5 hours PIC in a Cessna 310.

And you can still do flight reviews in any make and model, since it is not training for a certificate or rating.

I'm amazed how many CFIs don't understand that. For singles you don't even need the 5 hours make and model for a rating.

"Oh, I can't teach you in your plane untill I get a checkout and at least 5 hours of flight time" overheard at a Cessna Pilot center when someone needed a BFR in a Beech Sundowner. I imeadiately offered my services and was 150$ richer by days end. Trailing link gear makes for NICE landings.

It would be nice to have some experience in a airplane before you sign some off. The FAA drilled me on that crap for my CFI.

It would be nice to have some experience in a airplane before you sign some off. The FAA drilled me on that crap for my CFI.

It was for a BFR, and the guy was an comercial pilot with an instrument ticket and about 800 hours. I don't think I would start a private pilot in an airplane I have 0 time in either.

My main thing was that this CFI thought you needed a "checkout" per the FARs. In fact that word appears nowhere in pt 61 or 91. Unless it requires a type rating or a LOA, you can hop right in.

It was for a BFR, and the guy was an comercial pilot with an instrument ticket and about 800 hours. I don't think I would start a private pilot in an airplane I have 0 time in either.

My main thing was that this CFI thought you needed a "checkout" per the FARs. In fact that word appears nowhere in pt 61 or 91. Unless it requires a type rating or a LOA, you can hop right in.

There are lots of misconceptions that get passed down with no regulatory backing. I have been there before, too. You trust that your instructor knows what he is talking about for the most part. It is especially intimidating with FAA inspectors, DPEs, and Chief Instructors also have the same, wrong opinions.

"most useful misconception" is about as oxymorinic as you can get!

Ummm, yeah sure is. I was thinking about the ones some CFI's should be able to learn from as being useful... Not really the one such as "if the battery dies the engine quits running".

"if the battery dies the engine quits running".

Haha, I've heard that one before and even had a CFI student try to tell me otherwise. So I made him take me up in a plane, I shut the master off, and that shut him off... :rolleyes:

All in all though, I was not gloating about any of it, it was just another lesson learned.

OMG!!! a CFI student...WTF?

Stuff like this makes me wonder why a CFI job at 200 hours and 500 hours for part 135.

OMG!!! a CFI student...WTF?

Stuff like this makes me wonder why a CFI job at 200 hours and 500 hours for part 135.

Ya, tell me about it. Lets just say he is not teaching here after he eventually got his CFI. But I've always thought that yes, I'd rather have a more experienced older instructor teaching me rather than this guy who got his commercial 3 months ago and his CFI yesterday. (O wait, that was me!) I'll be honest, I was very nervous with my first few months of teaching just because it's not something you pick up right away and in this life, the only way to go is to get your CFI and just jump right in. I have 2 years under my belt now and feel a lot more comfortable, but I still wish I had more expierence. But this is the way it is. I love flying so I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. But I've ended up liking to teach a lot! I thought it was going to be hard and a real pain, but it turned out great and I don't regret anything!

Back