Ummm... sorry. silly question

that simply, huh? I see a lot of adverts about flight attendant schools. Are those school for real, or waste of time?

Maybe MQAA will respond, but yes they are a waste. My mom was a FA for American and retired a few years back with 37 years under her belt. She, nor any of her friends, ever attended anything but American's training.

If you, or somebody you know, wants to be a flight attendant, gain some life experience, and apply to the airlines when they are hiring. If you speak another language, it is definitely beneficial.

Maybe MQAA will respond, but yes they are a waste. My mom was a FA for American and retired a few years back with 37 years under her belt. She, nor any of her friends, ever attended anything but American's training.

If you, or somebody you know, wants to be a flight attendant, gain some life experience, and apply to the airlines when they are hiring. If you speak another language, it is definitely beneficial.

If an RJ course gets one a leg-up applying for a regional as a pilot, then an FA course should do same :sarcasm:

Flight Attendant PFJ now!!!! :D

Oh just seeing this now! Thanks Stone for the heads up...

I wrote a diatribe a while back, somewhere about these "Flight Attendant Schools". Before I write it all out again, let me see if I can find it.

brb. Don't nobody go no where...

Oh just seeing this now! Thanks Stone for the heads up...

I wrote a diatribe a while back, somewhere about these "Flight Attendant Schools". Before I write it all out again, let me see if I can find it.

brb. Don't nobody go no where...
It about time womn!! Now go cook me somtin' special wit' turkey. How bouts a kake???:sarcasm::beer:

It about time womn!! Now go cook me somtin' special wit' turkey. How bouts a kake???:sarcasm::beer:

lol! Get your [butt] back in the kitchen [woman] and make me a pie! :laff:

Okay, to answer the OP's question... I did find the post I was looking for, it was actually in response to another post on another board so it wouldn't sense copied & pasted here. So I'll write out my thoughts....

Those "Travel Schools" or "Flight Attendant Schools" are a waste of time & money. An airline will teach you what you need to know to be an FAA qualified flight attendant. In fact, in order to be an FAA-qualified 121 flight attendant you MUST complete the airline's new-hire training program. No "travel school" will qualify you to not to through new-hire school. To be hired as an airline flight attendant you have to meet the airline's hiring qualifications. These qualifications include a minimum age (usually 19-21-ish), have a good attitude, and have customer service experience. Some ask for 2 years of college, but this is generally not a "hard" requirement, and if you have face-to-face customer service experience a lack of college will usually not be an issue. No airline will require you to have gone through one of those goofy schools. In fact, some airlines actually do NOT like candidates from those types of schools, as graduates of those schools sometimes come to the airlines with an "I already know everything there is to know about being a F/A!" instead of a willing-to-learn attitude.

Instead of spending money and time on one of those programs, go out and get a job working face-to-face with customers. Working as a server or host in a restaurant, working at a hotel front desk or working retail are three very common ways of getting customer service experience. Plus, instead of paying for useless school, you'll be being paid a wage to get the customer service experience! The airlines' new-hire programs are designed to teach you absolutely everything you'll need to know about the specifics of being a flight attendant. Don't worry about that.

Now, the above advice is specific to airlines, or operators flying under part 121. If you want to fly corporate, that is a whole different ballgame and for THAT you will need to get yourself some training. FACTS and FlightSafety are the two highest known providers of this training (Boeing/Alteon used to have a course too, but I don't know if they still do that). In the corporate world the companies do not do their own training, and will expect you to have gone through a recognized training course, usually including Red Cross CPR certification.

As an example. When I was hired by Eagle, at age 20, I had dropped out of college a few months prior. I'd worked various customer service type jobs throughout high school & college, and that was all the "qualification" I needed. What really matters at the interview is a good attitude, pleasant demeanor, and professional appearance. I had never even ridden on a commercial airliner when I went to the group interview/cattle call for Eagle at the MSN airport. My first "airline" flight was my trip to DFW for the second interview. My dad flies, so I'd ridden with him in a small plane, but we never flew for family trips or anything when I was younger. Airline travel was too expensive, we always drove. My lack of knowledge about airlines was not an issue. Eagle's new-hire training taught me everything I needed to be fully qualified at the completion of the course.

I recommend two books about flight attendant interviews and new-hire training. The first is written by a former USAir F/A, Becky Bock, and deals mainly with F/A interviews. Her interview prep is amazing. The second was written by yours truly, and talks more about making it through airline ground school and surviving life as a new-hire F/A.

http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Aboard-Attendant-Professional-Aviation/dp/1560275081/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289344574&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Flight-Attendant-Surviving-New-Hire/dp/0557276136/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289344615&sr=1-1

Hope that helps. :)

I did not know you were a published writer...I learn something new every day. Good for you!! Now whers ma turkey kake???

I am! Finally jumped through the hoops to get it on Amazon about a year ago... looking at the listing there on Amazon makes me realize I need to make it Kindle-able! Maybe even iPad-able to be sold on iTunes bookstore!

Entrepreneurism: I haz it!

Back