UAL newlywed dies in Colorado crash

SlumTodd_Millionaire

Evil Landlord Capitalist
Do those avionics keep the prop turning if the one engine stops working?
I was surprised at how much this bothered me when I got back into GA, actually. Back when I was learning to fly, I never gave it a second thought. I just figured I'd glide and land and everything would be just fine. But after spending so many years with twin turbines hanging out there with nearly 100% reliability, the pucker factor was intense when I took my Mooney over the gulf for the first time. Wasn't even all that far out, but I'd have been landing on the beach if the engine quit. That's not a comfortable feeling for someone who's used to reading a magazine while the Rolls Royces out there spin quietly and reliably.

Autothrust Blue

Very querulous
I was surprised at how much this bothered me when I got back into GA, actually. Back when I was learning to fly, I never gave it a second thought. I just figured I'd glide and land and everything would be just fine. But after spending so many years with twin turbines hanging out there with nearly 100% reliability, the pucker factor was intense when I took my Mooney over the gulf for the first time. Wasn't even all that far out, but I'd have been landing on the beach if the engine quit. That's not a comfortable feeling for someone who's used to reading a magazine while the Rolls Royces out there spin quietly and reliably.
This is why you need to buy a King Air. ;)

Richman

That's "Lord Garth" to you
Meh, it's not that, it's the amount of risk that you're comfortable with.

When you compare general aviation to things people do in their average day, it's significantly more dangerous than, say, driving a car.

That's not to say that flying airplanes isn't worthwhile, just that some people aren't willing to accept the risk.
And a large majority of those accidents are caused by pilots overextending themselves in regards to their own abilities or the airplane’s capability.

I would assume, perhaps wrongly so, that any professional pilot who’s been around the patch a time or two would be able to recognize and correct either situation. If that’s true, then the risk profile is significantly different.

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
And a large majority of those accidents are caused by pilots overextending themselves in regards to their own abilities or the airplane’s capability.

I would assume, perhaps wrongly so, that any professional pilot who’s been around the patch a time or two would be able to recognize and correct either situation. If that’s true, then the risk profile is significantly different.
In sum, Cessna drivers are, for the most part, idiots?

USMCmech

There's GA and then there's GA. Lumping all piston GA into one risk pool creates a very flawed perception of risk.

Weekend warrior, flat land, go buzz around on nice weather days, 99% day VFR guys like me are still in more peril driving to the airport than in my 50 year old single engine airplane (yes the factory original engine is 50 years old too). I'm a single dad of 5 kids and I don't feel I'm taking on any significant risk (except possibly my wallet).

OTOH, guys using their machines to travel IFR over all types of terrain and high elevations in any weather can get themselves into a real bad situation quickly (which seems to be the situation with the accident in the OP). These pilots typically don't have a lot of experience (relative to professional airline types) and can easily let the pressures of the schedule get to them.

Last edited:

Cherokee_Cruiser

Rumor on APC, but again it’s APC. But if true would certainly be more believable than a guy who just took off straight east and found himself unable to climb up above the mountains and boxed in. The accident picture does seem to show partial flaps extended and more damage to one side than another, which makes the rumor somewhat possible.

GypsyPilot

Rumor on APC, but again it’s APC. But if true would certainly be more believable than a guy who just took off straight east and found himself unable to climb up above the mountains and boxed in. The accident picture does seem to show partial flaps extended and more damage to one side than another, which makes the rumor somewhat possible.
Was there supposed to be more context here? Not sure what you’re talking about.

JustinS

I’m really hesitant to post this as it greatly troubles me to see someone like this go way too soon. Way too young. Many people were close to him in different ways. Aviation lost a good one. I looked at the flight tracker history of previous flights of his. Before the accident flight, he flew a sight seeing flight out of TEX flying below the mountain tops for some of it. At the beginning of his sight seeing flight he even flew down the canyon where he ended up just a couple hours later. However, the first time in the canyon he turned around and headed elsewhere before he got to the higher section where the subsequent accident flight was a couple hours later. I won’t speculate how he got cornered on that mountain top, but his prior sight seeing flight is an eerie foreshadow. :(

FlyingAccountant

Minor point, but he took off to the west and looped back around.

SteveC

Really?
Staff member
What rumor?

Cherokee_Cruiser

Again it’s APC so take it with a grain of salt. Someone claiming that he took off and went east to go circle over a friends house before continuing on course. It would certainly jive more than a guy who got caught in a canyon with no way to climb the surrounding terrain. He had been through there before. Looking at the crashed plane, seems the flaps are partially extended, and one side is more damaged than the other. Could very well be flaps out, to slow down and tighten the turn over the house surrounded by mountains, both looking out, getting too slow, stall/spin. Just a theory, going by the APC rumor. But that certainly sounds more believable than a guy who just takes off and turns straight east and can’t out climb the mountains.

Either way, my heart goes out to their families and friends. Sad situation all around no matter what the cause. :(

Last edited: