Two uncomfortable questions

Jimmy_Norton

What is the best way to answer the following interview questions?

1. Where else have you applied?

2. If (insert legacy airline here) offered you a job after you started work with us, what would you do?

In my mind these seem like the kobayashi maru of interview questions.

I assume this is at a regional. These aren't no-win scenarios. They're actually good questions to dig into who you are.

(For purposes of discussion: hypothetical regional "ABC Air" that is a WO of "XYZ Airlines").

How I would answer:

1. I've applied to PSA, Envoy, and Endeavor, but ABC is my first choice. XYZ and XYZ Express are always my first choice when flying. I've always been impressed by your customer service and professionalism and would like to be a part of that team. Your flow program to XYZ is attractive as well as it gives me a clear path to continue my career in the XYZ system. I'm also interested in your Timbuktu base. I've always wanted to live there (or "that's where I live now"). I really like the HRJ-9000 too and look forward to flying it.

They know you've applied elsewhere. The purpose of the question is to find out who you really want to fly for. It also gives you chance to show them that you know something about their company and are truly interested in working for them.

2. My first choice of a legacy would be to fly for XYZ when I'm eligible. I feel that flying for ABC will give me the best opportunity to accomplish that, especially with your flow program. If another legacy calls, I would have to give it serious consideration, but XYZ is my real goal.

They know that flying for a regional is a stepping stone and that most people with an offer from a major airline are going to take it. Unless you're in your 50s, it's unrealistic to assume that you wouldn't take an offer from most any legacy or major airline. (If you are in your 50s, then you can add in "I would have to give that a lot of thought to decide whether I would want to finish my career as a senior CA at ABC or a junior FO at XYZ.")

Just my $0.03 (inflation).

Number one, tell the truth. Number two, say you would stay with their company and have a good reason you can articulate.

What is the best way to answer the following interview questions?

1. Where else have you applied?

2. If (insert legacy airline here) offered you a job after you started work with us, what would you do?

In my mind these seem like the kobayashi maru of interview questions.

1. Everywhere! Do you know how much I make at this job? Of course I’m applying to as many places as I can.

2. The first place that calls me and offers me a job.

Number one, tell the truth. Number two, say you would stay with their company and have a good reason you can articulate.
Exactly!

“look this whole process is terrible, so the first place that makes me not have to do this again for the rest of my career gets me!”

Back