TWo In A Row.....

mtsu_av8er

I'm not sure what in the world is going on around here, but my school....the almighty MTSU Blue Raiders.....have managed to have Two - count them - TWO mishaps in the last 3 days!! Now, luckily, nobody was injured in either of the two, but they're still a reason to pay more attention to what's going on.

Now, I will say that I'm kinda sketchy on some of the details, so I'll only post what I know, and I'll make sure it's clear if I'm speculating....

In the first mishap, Sunday, a student and his CFI were landing at KCHA, and were lucky enough to strike the approach lights with the prop. They were in a DA-20. I'm not sure how....I'm not sure why....but they did. Now, I'm speculating at this point....how low do you have to be to strike the approach lights? They didn't just strike it...they tore a piece of it off!! 3 Degree glide path?? Hmmm....

So, last yesterday at some point in time, the FAA inspectors are at the MTSU flight school in Murfreesboro (KMBT), and discussing the events of Sunday with the department chair and chief pilot. While they were talking, deciding what to do about the mishap, another occured. A private pilot (I've heard...), on a solo cross-country lab, made his approach just a little bit too hot, and too fast. Off of the runway he went, damaging the maingear and taking a taxiway sign with him. He wasn't hurt....walked away with a little bit less pride, I'm sure.

Can you imagine....

"Mr. Inspector, I assure you that we have a perfectly safe operation going on......what the &%#& was that??"

Lot's of crap going on at University's flight school.....anybody wanna know why I've done no flight training there? It's a wake-up call, nonetheless. It can happen to anyone....

[ QUOTE ]
In the first mishap, Sunday, a student and his CFI were landing at KCHA, and were lucky enough to strike the approach lights with the prop. They were in a DA-20. I'm not sure how....I'm not sure why....but they did. Now, I'm speculating at this point....how low do you have to be to strike the approach lights? They didn't just strike it...they tore a piece of it off!! 3 Degree glide path?? Hmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

What time was this??? I flew out of KCHA Sunday a.m.

When I landed Saturday, I did notice the REIL's and though "damn - those things stick up there don't they?"

I'd say that they are about 2-3' high, so your boys were LOOOOOWWW!
blush.gif

Glad nobody was hurt!!

Back