Two FAA Inspectors

djackd

I got my CFI checkride date with the TEB FSDO. They told me I'm going to have two inspectors. One will be evaluating the other... anyone had this happen to them?

Haven't had it with the FAA, but seen it multiple times with the USAF. The person giving you the checkride will be getting a checkride themselves -- evaluated on how well they evaluate you.

That situation cuts both ways:

On the positive, you'll be getting a very "by the book" checkride, meaning you won't have to worry about being graded on some obscure technique or pet peeve of the inspector.

On the negative...you'll be getting graded very "by the book"! So, little stuff that an examiner might let slide any other time might be a factor on this one.

I'm assuming its not much to worry about. In fact it is probably good because they may really want to get the new guy trained and thus they'll be less likely to reschedule.

I think it is more common now than before. It used to be that the inspectors got all of their training in Oklahoma City. As budgets got tighter, the FAA went more towards OJT. Now there are more journeymen inspectors training new inspectors. The similar and much more common event is a DPE during their annual renewal. I cannot think of an instance where having two involved made things more difficult than it would have been if only one was there.

Good luck with your practical test. Just remember, demonstrate, teach, and check. Don't just be a pilot sitting in the right seat.

I'm assuming its not much to worry about. In fact it is probably good because they may really want to get the new guy trained and thus they'll be less likely to reschedule.

Unless you've heard otherwise, I wouldn't assume that the guy getting the over-the-shoulder is being "trained", any more than any pilot getting a line check is being trained.

I cannot think of an instance where having two involved made things more difficult than it would have been if only one was there.
I have seen DPEs make the checkride harder with a fed watching. Likely because their standard checkride is probably too easy and it wouldn't pass with a fed.

It will be pretty much the same CR as if he was not there. He will just sit in back on ground and in flight and not say a word. He is just evaluating the DPE and not you! It just makes things a little more nerve wracking with the feds standing of your shoulder evaluating him.

I have seen DPEs make the checkride harder with a fed watching. Likely because their standard checkride is probably too easy and it wouldn't pass with a fed.

One of my first checkrides in the F-15E, I had an evaluator getting evaluated by a headquarters evaluator, and that's exactly what he did to me. I got a downgrade for some instrument maneuver -- I forget which one now -- but later the HQ guy quietly said to me, "I wouldn't have given you a downgrade for that, but that's just me...."

he's a new inspector. they told me.
You could always ask for a different DPE if you don't feel up to it. You shouldn't be forced to fly with anyone you don't want to. That said, it shouldn't be that bad. As long as you know your stuff you will be fine.

Edit: Actually, for a CFI ride you shouldn't be worried. Most CFIs take their checkrides with the feds. Chances are if you didn't have the new inspector you would have the guy sitting behind him instead. No difference IMO.

For my MEI initial ride, I had the FAA observing my DPE as he administered the check ride. Observing during portions of the oral also was our University's POI. They were actually very friendly, and made me feel at ease before starting the oral. They also informed me that they were their to evaluate my DPE not me. It was up to my DPE whether I pass or not. I passed, and I got half price from what the DPE normally charges. Also, the DPE got his annual renewal and approval to do instructor Initial checkrides. I was my DPE's first Initial Instructor applicant.

My DPE was very by the book and followed the PTS very closely, no curve balls or personal emphasis on any one subject matter.

I can testify to this. I would never ever do it again, if I could help it.

I can testify to this. I would never ever do it again, if I could help it.

I can totally see that happening too. The DPE I flew with is always by the book. Even when the FAA isn't watching, he has nothing to change from when he isn't being watched like a hawk.

All my rides with two were very by the book if maybe under the book. The other inspector is not there to help the guy giving the ride they are there to evaluate. I have had the second asking the first if that was actually necessary to ask me. After all they number one wants a fair check ride just as you do. The seconds will mess up but, If you get the second who tries to impress you should have a good number one to realize ant number two is just trying to impress and will tell them to cool down.

I've seen that happen twice, but those were due to office politics within the FSDO.

I had a student scheduled for a PPL checkride, and when the DPE showed up, he decided that would be a good time to inform the applicant and myself that someone from the FSDO was going to be present to for his annual renewal.

Once the oral got started, the FSDO inspector basically hijacked the checkride (the student told me that the DPE asked maybe three or four questions before the FSDO took over), and the inspector proceeded to fail the student on the oral for reasons that both the student, myself, and the owner of the flight school thought were complete BS.

A couple of weeks later, a different student was doing an instrument checkride with the same DPE, and the same FSDO inspector showed up again, and did the exact same "hijack oral after a couple questions, find BS reasons to fail applicant" routine he'd pulled with my student.

Both of those students had no trouble passing the checkride on the retake (without the FSDO inspector present), and from what we were told later, both incidents were due to the DPE and FSDO not getting along (for reasons that weren't explained), which eventually lead to the FSDO going out of their way to make sure the DPE wasn't reinstated as an examiner.

I got my CFI checkride date with the TEB FSDO. They told me I'm going to have two inspectors. One will be evaluating the other... anyone had this happen to them?

I had that during my type ride in the 767.

It's known as the "gang bang" or the "checking the checker"

During my CFI oral, some guy walks up and tapes a piece of paper to the window that says "FOLLOW THE PTS!". My inspector busts up laughing and tells me a story. They have to get reviewed periodically and his boss was sitting in on a checkride observing him, he's doing his normal deal and I guess the candidate got PO'd and started yelling at him "you cannot ask me that, it's not on the PTS!" and he kept on doing this again and again. He said his boss was trying to remain professional but was almost in tears trying to keep from busting up laughing.

Back