Tustin blimp hangar destroyed by fire.

I think the point knot is making is that there are a lot of seemingly pedestrian things in socal that are historical in that context. The history is comparatively more recent, but maybe not less important to those who grew up in it.

Though I'm not entirely sure what the reference to Beale was? The AFB? Is this because the AF claims they are ending the U-2 program again? Spoiler alert, they won't anytime this decade. I don't think I know which bet I would take between it, or the B-52, being the longest serving mil aircraft, but I think it has a strong chance. On that note, anyone know when the last U-2 was built?

Last edited:
I think the point knot is making is that there are a lot of seemingly pedestrian things in socal that are historical in that context. The history is comparatively more recent, but maybe not less important to those who grew up in it.

Though I'm not entirely sure what the reference to Beale was? The AFB? Is this because the AF claims they are ending the U-2 program again? Spoiler alert, they won't anytime this decade. I don't think I know which bet I would take between it, or the B-52, being the longest serving mil aircraft, but I think it has a strong chance. On that note, anyone know when the last U-2 was built?

Sometime in the 80's? That was when the Burbank plant shut down.

I don't he makes points, he just lobs flaming bags of dog poop.

Sometime in the 80's? That was when the Burbank plant shut down.

I don't he makes points, he just lobs flaming bags of dog poop.
Lockheed was operational at Burbank into the early '90s. I used to drive a fuel truck over to The Skunkworks to fill their commuter King Airs and 1900s. I never saw much other than some P-3s that were apparently being modified. But occasionally a C-5 would come in long after dark, pick something up and then leave. You might think I'm just regurgitating some urban myth but I was there. The FBO I worked at was directly across RWY 15/33 from Lockheed. Back then it wasn't a secret for those of us that actually worked there when these flights would happen, we'd clock out and just wait. I'm not going to say where we waited but it was pretty exciting to see a C-5 land on RWY 8, taxi up 33 and park on Lockheeds ramp. Then the dual parades of 18-wheelers did their best to block anyones view, once whatever they were moving was on the plane the trucks quickly went back from whence they came and the C-5 would taxi out, take off on 15 and be off the ground long before they crossed the intersection. My point is you have no idea what you're talking about but you've been convinced you can't be wrong. Have a nice day?

I bet Irvine Company has been drooling the last two days. The amount of apartments they can make if they tear these things down..

This is specifically what I said I wasn't interested in.

Piss off.
I'll just make a suggestion. If I say something and you comment, "Piss Off" as a reply it reflects badly on you. There's no commitment, and if there's no commitment there's no character. Are you still trying to figure out where you came from and who you are? I thought you had that all worked out.

I'll just make a suggestion. If I say something and you comment, "Piss Off" as a reply it reflects badly on you. There's no commitment, and if there's no commitment there's no character. Are you still trying to figure out where you came from and who you are? I thought you had that all worked out.

Should I smile more too?

Should I smile more too?
I don't know, I haven't met you. Do you walk around with a cloud above you, do you walk around with a smile and a cloud above you, or do you walk around with a smile under a clear sky? It's not hard to figure who's happy and who's faking it. If you're happy, smile. If you're not happy, fix it.

I don't know, I haven't met you. Do you walk around with a cloud above you, do you walk around with a smile and a cloud above you, or do you walk around with a smile under a clear sky? It's not hard to figure who's happy and who's faking it. If you're happy, smile. If you're not happy, fix it.

Look in the mirror, troll.

For what it's worth, Skunk Works moved to Palmdale in 89, the last U-2 was built in 89 also and the Burbank plant was shut down completely by 92. So not too bad of a guess from my memories of living in the area... sorry it didn't meet the rigorous standard of perfection you expect only from people you don't like.

Look in the mirror, troll.

For what it's worth, Skunk Works moved to Palmdale in 89, the last U-2 was built in 89 also and the Burbank plant was shut down completely by 92. So not too bad of a guess from my memories of living in the area... sorry it didn't meet the rigorous standard of perfection you expect only from people you don't like.
There's a lot more of that story that you seem to be unaware of. It's common knowledge I worked there at KBUR in the late '80s - early '90s. Your vague recollections might as well be about the 1984 Summer Olympics, you lived in the area and kind of remember it. Tell me about the riots in 1992 or the Northridge quake, I have stories from both that I don't need to back up from google because I was actually there. Your condescension falls flat here. Look up Rye Canyon if you're curious about where Lockheed went when they left Burbank, I might've known the person that did all of the electronic security there. I don't know you, and you don't know me. Assuming you hold some higher position in life than me makes you look stupid, troll.

There's a lot more of that story that you seem to be unaware of. It's common knowledge I worked there at KBUR in the late '80s - early '90s. Your vague recollections might as well be about the 1984 Summer Olympics, you lived in the area and kind of remember it. Tell me about the riots in 1992 or the Northridge quake, I have stories from both that I don't need to back up from google because I was actually there. Your condescension falls flat here. Look up Rye Canyon if you're curious about where Lockheed went when they left Burbank, I might've known the person that did all of the electronic security there. I don't know you, and you don't know me. Assuming you hold some higher position in life than me makes you look stupid, troll.

You have a real victim complex going on.

I don't give a crap about you or anything you think or any history you might think you have. I have history too, but I don't show up in all of your threads to be a dickhead about it.

You have a real victim complex going on.

I don't give a crap about you or anything you think or any history you might think you have. I have history too, but I don't show up in all of your threads to be a dickhead about it.
And yet here you are...

I bet Irvine Company has been drooling the last two days. The amount of apartments they can make if they tear these things down..

Much of that land on NTK is still contaminated from decades of jet fuel in the soil, as is a chunk of NZJ. The cleanup costs must be pretty huge, if it can even be cleaned up in those areas.

Well it is pretty wild thinking about a C-5 taking off from (or landing on) any runway at Burbank. That must have been loud
Why do you think we all stayed late to watch? It wasn't overly loud (Southwest was still running straight pipe -200s and FedEx was still operating 727s there), but it was massive. Like I said it'd land on 8, turn left at the intersection, taxi up 33 to Lockheeds ramp and park, load up and take off from 15 and be off the ground before the intersection.. It was bizarre to see an airplane so much larger than we were accustomed to on the airport. From what I saw runway length was not an issue.

Went and toured a blimp hangar once on the west coast. My SO looked around and said "Hurry up. I want to see this before it makes the news"

Much of that land on NTK is still contaminated from decades of jet fuel in the soil, as is a chunk of NZJ. The cleanup costs must be pretty huge, if it can even be cleaned up in those areas.

Hahaha. Developers will wave the magic environmental review wand, promise to make 0.01% of the units "affordable housing" and be on their merry way.

Back