Turning in paperwork for CFI renewal

nbv4

I finished my CFI renewal via the American Flyers online course. Each time I've done this, I drive to the nearest FSDO and turn in my paperwork there. This time, I contacted the Albuquerque FSDO to make my appointment, but they told me I have to get with an examiner to get that paperwork done. They don't take walk-ins any more. I assumed that this would cost money since DPE's never work for free, so I then called the Scottsdale FSDO to make my appointment with them. They told me the same thing. My question is, are there any FSDO's that still take appointments? If I make an appointment with a DPE, will they charge me a fee? How much will the fee be?

When I lived in Spokane (8 years ago) I always went to the FSDO. Experiences varied from from feeling like I was bothering them to some real nice conversations/good experience. If they don't take walk in's next time they want to ramp you say "Sorry, I don't take ramp checks anymore". Lately, I have been using the vendors service to get the certificate. I'd say it's not a bad way to spend $25 every couple of years vs driving to a FSDO.

The FSDO has been sending these request to DPEs now. DPE's usually charge a small fee (mostly to cover our yearly training costs to have the ability to be able to do this function).

If you send students on a regular basis to a DPE, a lot of times they will just process it for you.

Most people use the FIRC's provider ACR service, however when you renew via pass rate, gold seal, or any other method, DPE's are the best bet!

My friendly (not even kidding, they’re great) local FSDO did mine for free over Zoom. Maybe already having a POI for our department helped?

Back