Troubled AirTran Flight To Balt. Lands In Dayton

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) ―
AirTranLogo.jpg
Click to enlarge1 of 1
CBS

Close
ico016x014close_modal.gif

numSlides of totalImages

AirTran Airways says an engine cover came off one of its planes before it made an unexpected landing in Ohio on the way to Baltimore.

Spokesman Christopher White with the Atlanta-based airline says the Thursday morning flight from Indianapolis was diverted to Dayton after pilots saw a warning light indicating a mechanical problem. He says a left engine cowling came off during flight, which could have triggered the warning.

White says the cowling is a cover similar to the hood on a car and does not affect engine performance.

Flight 807 landed safely at Dayton International Airport with its 48 passengers and five crew members. Passengers were put on other AirTran flights to Baltimore.

The Boeing 717 had last been inspected Wednesday in Indianapolis. (© 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

AirTran Airways says an engine cover came off one of its planes before it made an unexpected landing in Ohio on the way to Baltimore.

Spokesman Christopher White with the Atlanta-based airline says the Thursday morning flight from Indianapolis was diverted to Dayton after pilots saw a warning light indicating a mechanical problem. He says a left engine cowling came off during flight, which could have triggered the warning.

White says the cowling is a cover similar to the hood on a car and does not affect engine performance.

Flight 807 landed safely at Dayton International Airport with its 48 passengers and five crew members. Passengers were put on other AirTran flights to Baltimore.

The Boeing 717 had last been inspected Wednesday in Indianapolis. (© 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Unless it's ingested. And it's like a "car hood"? Oy vey...

I was in Day right after it happened and I got a crappy picture with my phone. When I get home from this ground stop in Day I'll post it. Or if someone PMs me an email addy I can send it for them to post. It's not a good picture, but it's better than nothing.

About 95% of the cowling was missing with a few fragments remaining.

I was in Day right after it happened and I got a crappy picture with my phone. When I get home from this ground stop in Day I'll post it. Or if someone PMs me an email addy I can send it for them to post. It's not a good picture, but it's better than nothing.

About 95% of the cowling was missing with a few fragments remaining.

Post it !!

Isnt there a photo on the web somewhere of an airtran 737 inflight, taken by a passenger, of a missing cowling? I cant search or view images, but if i could find it I would post it

To be fair, that wasn't exactly an AirTran airplane, it was a Ryan International A320 that they wet leased to cover some of the transcons like ATL-SFO/LAX while they awaited delivery of their first few 737s.

The google link one looks like it was off a 737...

Can confirm. The google link was from a Ryan International Airbus.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2004/08/24/186452/a320-left-blowing-in-the-wind.html

The airplane is flying for Batavia in Indonesia these days.

To be fair, that wasn't exactly an AirTran airplane, it was a Ryan International A320 that they wet leased to cover some of the transcons like ATL-SFO/LAX while they awaited delivery of their first few 737s.

It sounds like the Tranny had (has?) an awesome scope clause.

I hope it's fixed.

It sounds like the Tranny had (has?) an awesome scope clause.

I hope it's fixed.
I think around the same time, Air Wisconsin was flying CRJ-200s out of ATL as "AirTran Jet Connect". But they put a stop to that, until this sneaky new Skywest "codeshare" that is.

Back