Trip to Seattle

thepedroid

This isn't aviation related but I still had a great time!

Hammer Time
seattlehammer.jpg

Public market
pmc.jpg

Jeannine at I at the first starbucks. The photographer decided to cut out the sign.
starbucks

You don't see that everyday.
lustylady

Tav and I on Bainbridge island ferry from Seattle
tavferry

Welcome to Poulsbo!
poulsbo

206 docked

tav watching 206 on floats takeoff
210taxi

at my aunts beach house on the hood canal
backyard

The museum of flight!!! Tav loved seeing all
the planes as much as....

Patrick the racoon
patrick

I forgot if it was called the grand or the great room
greatroom

Alaska DC3
alaskadc3

The Newsboy Curtiss Robin C-1
robinc1

Stearman c-3b
stearmanc3

Lindbergh DC-2
twa

Concorde
concorde

They wouldn't let me use the presidential toilet
airforce1

Crazy sun driving through olympia
crazysun

Seattle is a great city. The Museum of Flight is great and I did the Boeing tour in Everett earlier this year.

I wish I did the boeing tour but we were running out of time. I only spent two days actually in seattle. So far its my favorite city.

Nice pics..two questions:

1) how bad is it there in the winter?

2) What are the sights to see in terms of aviation? I understand there is a tour you can take at the boeing plant, and the flight museum....anyone have anything else, or any feedback, suggestions, etc??

Mark

1) how bad is it there in the winter?
For VFR, bad--before I was supposed to solo on 3 January, the longest rainy streak in state history started (2006). 24 January, I finally soloed. If you're VFR-only, expect to be canceling a lot of flights in the winter. For IFR, it's pretty good, though--wx stays above mins most of the time and the freezing level's pretty high. Thunderstorms are really rare out here.
2) What are the sights to see in terms of aviation?
Tons--seaplane spotting on Lake Union, touring the Boeing plant(s), the Museum of Flight, a couple of smaller museums in Port Townsend, Everett, and Olympia with almost all-flying collections, and of course, a fish and chips dinner while watching runway incursions at my favorite hangout, the Bremerton Airport Diner. If you can do a scenic flight up into the San Juans, it's unbelievable. Plus, the airport in Friday Harbor is only a 5 minute walk from the downtown waterfront. It's my favorite fly-in dinner destination--gotta love Downriggers. I would say the best thing you could do is book a plane and an instructor and do a scenic tour of the area. It's some of the best scenery to fly over in the world!

Plus, the airport in Friday Harbor is only a 5 minute walk from the downtown waterfront.

I wish I knew about that place. I was at the water front a few times. that buffet at ivars for sunday brunch is awesome.

I wish I knew about that place. I was at the water front a few times. that buffet at ivars for sunday brunch is awesome.

Should have been more specific, downtown Friday Harbor (in the San Juans), not Seattle :banghead:

Looks like you hit the two sunny days this year!

ya, we really lucked out. We spent the second half of the trip in South Bend, off the 101 near Aberdeen. When I got to South bend there were about 5 days of sunshine. My aunt told me that the day after we left Poulsbo it got cold, dark, and rainy like its supposed to be :D.

I love Seattle. My buddy lives there. I visit once a year. Did you walk down the alley with the gum wall. :) Its behind the market.
Great city and extremely nice people. Id love to live there one day.

For VFR, bad--before I was supposed to solo on 3 January, the longest rainy streak in state history started (2006). 24 January, I finally soloed. If you're VFR-only, expect to be canceling a lot of flights in the winter. For IFR, it's pretty good, though--wx stays above mins most of the time and the freezing level's pretty high. Thunderstorms are really rare out here.

Tons--seaplane spotting on Lake Union, touring the Boeing plant(s), the Museum of Flight, a couple of smaller museums in Port Townsend, Everett, and Olympia with almost all-flying collections, and of course, a fish and chips dinner while watching runway incursions at my favorite hangout, the Bremerton Airport Diner. If you can do a scenic flight up into the San Juans, it's unbelievable. Plus, the airport in Friday Harbor is only a 5 minute walk from the downtown waterfront. It's my favorite fly-in dinner destination--gotta love Downriggers. I would say the best thing you could do is book a plane and an instructor and do a scenic tour of the area. It's some of the best scenery to fly over in the world!
I lived for 9 years north of Seattle (san juans) and you get a lot more VFR days there than you do as you move south. You should fly into Orcas as well. It's a short walk from the airport to downtown there as well.

I took the Boeing tour years ago and it was great. Gotta take the kids to see it, my son loves planes and will get a big kick out of it. Still haven't made it to the Museum of Flight but will put that at the top of the list for next time. Great pics, thanks for posting.

If any av geeks are headed there, swing by Kenmore Air Harbor. Huge history, great people, amazing beaver restoration. (I said beaver). I grew up just a few minutes from there. God I miss home.

I should have gone there too. every time i crossed the sound I saw Kenmore air planes flying overhead.

Back