Traveling to Alaska

Silverhawk

Hey All,

Hope your staying warm if your also in the Northeast like me !! Anyhow this maybe a longshot but my friends and I are planning a week long trip up to Alaska around the end of May. Not to go way overboard into the details but here's a basic rundown:

Fly Pittsburgh to Anchorage.. then travel up by train to Denali National Park.. then by train/plane up to Fairbanks.. then keep going to the farthest point north at Barrow, AK :) then fly back to Fairbanks or Anchorage directly. We want to spend a day or two at each place and of course get in some senic flights, tours, hiking along the way... (maybe even some polar ice swimming.. I'll see how brave I get !!)

Has anyone visited or currently doing any flying in the area that may give us some tips or advice on places to avoid / definately a must see ?? We have a neighbor that did his PhD work with an Eskimo village there for 6 months but the more info we can get the better off we'll be !!

Thanks for any help in advance !!

-Patrick

I spent a few weeks in AK two summers ago. I went at the end of the season, but you should be hitting it just right for some magnificent weather and tons of daylight.

I *highly* recommend taking the train from Anchorage to Talkeetna (Denali). It alone was worth the price of the trip. *Make sure* you head out to the last car and step outside for a bit. While in Talkeetna, visit the West Rib Pub- good food and great beer.

We also took a flightseeing tour and were lucky enough to have some of the best visibility that year.. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

In addition, we also went down to Seward and took another flight. It was wonderful, but if you only do one, make it Denali.

Another tip- Make reservations ahead of time -flights, trains, restaraunts, etc. They fill up fast, especially in the "on" season.

Btw- If you enjoy good beer, drink as much Alaskan Amber as possible. I've had no luck getting any in Texas. While in North Cal last year I found a restaurant that had it on the menu, but was sold out
mad.gif

-S

We did a "Misty Fjords" flight seeing tour on a turbine Beaver.

Absolutely breathtaking.

Cool ... Thanks guys.. I definately want to do the flight over Denali.. of all the choices I think that's a front-runner !! I think i even seen a few tours for kayaking around the fjords / glaciers as well.. :) maybe just as fun as flying thru them... wait... nah... coudln't be more fun than flying... he he..

-Patrick

Couldn't resist posting these.. I've got some of the most amazing sunsets from the train.. on 35mm though.

mt1.jpg

mt2.jpg

mt3.jpg

mt4.jpg

mt5.jpg

mt6.jpg

mt7.jpg

plane.jpg

sat.jpg

shroom.jpg

I will be driving up there to live shortly after that. I have been doing a ton of research but mostly on living there, not sightseeing. I would say, though, unless it's a must do, forget about going to Barrow. I think you wll be less than thrilled when you get there. I have not been there, but it has been described to me as pretty desolate. You would be better off spending a couple more days maybe renting a car and hitting some spots that aren't going to be full of tourists. Or hit some of the towns in the southeast like Juneau or Haines.

I went for the first time in 2001 and just rented a car. Drove from ANC to Denali, then back to ANC and down to Seward. It was amazing. I've been back twice since.

I would definitely pare down your itinerary somewhat...you have to have some time to stop and enjoy...it sounds like you'll be traveling an awful lot.

shoefly - you got those photos from a train or from a plane? those are INCREDIBLE!!!!!

which train was it and what was your tour??

[ QUOTE ]
shoefly - you got those photos from a train or from a plane? those are INCREDIBLE!!!!!

which train was it and what was your tour??

[/ QUOTE ]

The aerials were all taken on our flightseeing tour at Talkeetna around Denali. I beleive we used the "TAT" Talkeetna Air Taxi.

We rode the Alaskan Railroad from Anchorage to Talkeetna. It's all one line, but different cars = different companies (Princess Cruises, Alaskan Railroad, etc).

A great read for the planeride up is "Into the Wild". It will give you something to chat about with the locals as well..
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385486804/qid=1074605428/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/102-0089598-5670512

Those were awesome Pics Shoefly !!! I hope ours turn out as well !!

- lilrkt... sounds like a great opportunity getting to live up there for a while

.... there is so much to read and many places I would love to be able to see and experience up there... again.. thanks everyone for your help !! I'll have to check out that book for the trip up.. its always good to be able to chat with many of the people native to the area and even opens them up a little bit I think when you have an interest or took time to really learn about a particular area or culture !!

Thanks a bunch everyone !!

Back