TRACON Only

Yank&BankmyRJ145

Does anyone know if they give tracon only students a map to study for a test (problem) at the academy?

And I thought I would start a thread for the small few of us to ask questions.

I'd imagine they would. On your RADAR screen, you will have a specific depiction of airspace, which will have various fixes, intersections, and depending on the airport, preferred DPs. I started glancing at the OKC terminal map to get a better idea of what to memorize.

The airspace you work in the academy is fictional, in fact it is called Academy Approach. It is based around the Tulsa VOR, with Springfield to the northeast, Dallas to the south, and OKC to the southwest, but everything else is made up. There is a main airport, another towered field to the south, and 4 uncontrolled fields (3 with IAPs).

Don't bother studying OKC, it won't help.

And all the information is provided to you, including sector maps with intersections, navaids, arrival/departure gates, and airports. Don't worry about studying anything until you get here.

WOW...... Your a quick one.....It's called preparing, thats what I'm trying to do. But thanks for the insight :panic:
i was a ghost pilot in rtf for a year...what exactly would you like to know

p.s. dont start a thread if you arent prepared to get at least one smart ass reply

They don't test you on the map, and the rtf labs are not pass or fail. Now when you get into the real world, it is totally different they test you o everything and pass or fail applies to everything.

i was a ghost pilot in rtf for a year...what exactly would you like to know

p.s. dont start a thread if you arent prepared to get at least one smart ass reply

First, I am so laid back, It did come off like I was upset about what he said. I'm not. I was expecting a few, mainly from Boomer.

I wanted to know if they are more about airspace airspace airspace or procedures procedures procedures. I know both are important, but what do they lean more towards.
I was wondering what all they cover after basics. It seems like a short amount of time at the academy for a very busy job.

At the larger TRACON's are controllers trained to do arrivals and departures along with satellite airports? Or do they spilt sectors up and train controllers for only arrivals or satellite airports or departures? Or any combinations of the above.

Some how I messed AFTOFAAATC post before I typed this....

the biggest thing they push at the academy is PHRASEOLOGY, second to that is procedures. the airspace is very easy to learn. in academy land you have 28R/10L, 28L/10R, and 16/34. 28R/10L is the only runway with an instrument approach, but you only use 28R. The airspace is split up between north and south. (the boundary lines that seperate north and south are between 28R and L. So, the north controller owns the final and as south youll have to coordinate your arrivals with north. Both sectors have a couple satelite airports that you have to run (and sequence) traffic into. The first day in the labs youll probably work a scenario that is all departures, and one that is all arrivals, along with one that is all vfr guys....past that the scenarios are pretty mixed up and get progressively busier. Some scenarios are combined North/south operations, so youll just be working by yourself and wont have to coordinate with anybody.....i cant really think of anything else at the moment....

:laff: Just a little rudder fix :D

I little number game for ya.
all runway numbers sum up to the same number
ex. 18/36------ 1+8=9, 3+6=9 cool little trick, thats how I find out the other runway numbers

nice, totally stealing that trick for my trainees (and me :nana2: ). Little weird with 28 (2+8=10) and 10 (1+0=1:confused:) though. Get the idea though

and a :panic: just for the heck of it

nice, totally stealing that trick for my trainees (and me :nana2: ). Little weird with 28 (2+8=10) and 10 (1+0=1:confused:) though. Get the idea though

and a :panic: just for the heck of it
to go between 1-17 just add 18 and youll get the reciprocal. recip of rwy 1 is 19...1+18=19.

Is that like the teachings of Missy Elliot?

" I put my thang down, flip it and reverse it"

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Ok, Pick a number between 1-9. Multiply that number by 9. Sum the numbers in your answer. subtract 8.

Your number is 1. And your #1 in our hearts for your math skills:yup:

Wow, I took way to many math classes in college.......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

All these tricks....

It would probably just be easier to remember the runway numbers. Since each runway only has 2 numbers, and they're they never change....

(ok ok, maybe polar north could move around a little bit over your lifetime, and it might just put it over the top, but still.)

Back