Tours

neverett

How do I go about scheduling a tour? When I call them, what should I tell/ask them? I know that they don't give tours like they used to, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice? I have the phone number of the facility already, just need to know what to say! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

How do I go about scheduling a tour? When I call them, what should I tell/ask them? I know that they don't give tours like they used to, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice? I have the phone number of the facility already, just need to know what to say! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
I see you're from Ohio - are you looking to tour CMH? If so I can give you contact information for the person that arranged my upcoming tour (this Friday).

A tour there on Friday would be perfect for me. What time on Friday if you don't mind me asking. I was going to call CAK because it's closer to home, but I go to college in Athens so I'll be very close to CMH. Maybe I could tour with you? Don't know if that would be possible though.

VERY SIMPLE EVERYONE:
1) Get the phone number for the facility, available on http://flighttraining.aopa.org/members/flight_bag/pdfs/atc.pdf

2) Call the facility. You may get an option for "manager, or tower/cab"
Try both. I called San Jose, CA tower and tried manager with no response. I called again and chose tower, and a friendly supervisor answered the phone. I know it is intimidating to call directly to the control tower, but the person who answers is usually just the supervisor, and is not currently working traffic.

3) Tell them who you are: It helps to say you are a private pilot (if that is the case). Of course, also say "I have a tentative offer for your facility", or "I am an off the street applicant"

4) What you want: "I was wondering if I can schedule a visit to your facility..."

I have visited San Jose, and Livermore easily by just calling.
Large facilities might not be so easy. I tried to visit San Francisco by calling them, but the manager told me "we don't give tours".

Back