Tough Love

Employment is a relationship like any other. You may see it as purely a business exchange, but I think that's uncommon. People feel invested and deeply attached to their employer. You'll spend the better part of your life at a career carrier. Shouldn't that be a relationship that you want to foster and grow? I certainly want it to be a positive relationship, not just a pure cold and heartless business transaction.

In a healthy business relationship you are happy to be there and the employer is happy that you are there. Where that is missing you get mistrust and bitterness. Maybe that explains your position? Were you unloved at your previous carrier?

Lots of great advice, but this is the part I disagree with. You should never feel that you have to "appreciate" that someone is paying you do a job that you are qualified to do. They aren't doing you a favor, they're conducting a business transaction. You get paid in exchange for providing them labor that brings them revenue. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. There is no reason for gratitude from either party.
I don't have any issue with the pay I get for the job I do.... In that respect it is a pretty equally beneficial arrangement. The only difference with the appreciation factor is we don't choose if we get the job or not, they do. So this mutually equal stuff isn't really equal. If i'm competing with 10 people for one open position and they choose to hire me, I'm happy and appreciative. If they hire the other guy, I'm disappointed and continue to look for work. We're talking two issues here no?

Nope, same issue, we just disagree. You got the job because you were qualified, interviewed well, didn't have skeletons in the closet, etc. In short, you got the job because you earned it. You should feel confident in that. You shouldn't feel appreciative. They did you no favors.

This idea that pilots feel that they're "just lucky to get paid to fly airplanes for a living" is a big part of the reason why the profession has tanked so much.

Nope, same issue, we just disagree. You got the job because you were qualified, interviewed well, didn't have skeletons in the closet, etc. In short, you got the job because you earned it. You should feel confident in that. You shouldn't feel appreciative. They did you no favors.

This idea that pilots feel that they're "just lucky to get paid to fly airplanes for a living" is a big part of the reason why the profession has tanked so much.

When was the last time an airline treated an interview like that?

You have to memorize all of the company's history, promise you only ever wanted to work there ever, etc.

Jumping through the hoops is part of earning it. Nevertheless, it is earned, not gifted.

Sooo, in your world you shouldn't feel thankful for anything you've earned?

I have a really great life, much of which I've worked hard for and earned. But luck plays a big role too. Any number of random events can change the arc of a life. They don't seem random in hindsight, but I wouldn't be what and where I am today if one man had decided to honor a contract in September of 2000.

I guess what the other guys are saying is that it's a good thing to have some appreciation for where you are in life. If you have a good job, it's healthy to feel thankful for that. Part of that feeling is directed towards the company for choosing you. Even a well qualified and excellent interviewing candidate can turn out to be a lemon. Hiring anyone comes with risk, and the company took a chance on you above others.

Jumping through the hoops is part of earning it. Nevertheless, it is earned, not gifted.

This is the only industry in which that is true.

I am surprised you think this is good. Why on earth is it acceptable for a company to demand that you only ever wanted to work for them as a condition of offering employment. Sounds an awful lot like if an offer is extended you should be grateful.

Contrarian statements from you this evening.

This is the only industry in which that is true.

I am surprised you think this is good. Why on earth is it acceptable for a company to demand that you only ever wanted to work for them as a condition of offering employment. Sounds an awful lot like if an offer is extended you should be grateful.

Contrarian statements from you this evening.

I never said it was "good." I generally think the airline interview process is awful, actually. But it is the game that has to be played, and those that play it well have earned their slot.

To be the first negative voice, I would still strongly argue that "you get what you pay for" still stands. As you mentioned it is mentally tough to endure substandard pay and working conditions, while maintaining a positive and professional outlook. I just can't get over a professional pilot not being able to afford to pay rent and simple bills, and I do not think that I ever will. I wish this wasn't the case, but money talks. That said, great post.

I know a lot of folks who feel that way. Most are victims of the 0 to hero era. Most didn't have time to digest the risks of entering this career without thorough financial preparation. The realities of the last 20 years are exactly that, but most were sold on probability. What Bill is trying to say that we get to do an awesome job and we should feel good about that, management antics aside. I've worked some awful jobs and some good ones. This is, by far, the best sustainable CAREER as far as enjoyment is concerned. Otherwise, I'd still be delivering pizza in Smyrna, Delaware.

I know a lot of folks who feel that way. Most are victims of the 0 to hero era. Most didn't have time to digest the risks of entering this career without thorough financial preparation. The realities of the last 20 years are exactly that, but most were sold on probability. What Bill is trying to say that we get to do an awesome job and we should feel good about that, management antics aside. I've worked some awful jobs and some good ones. This is, by far, the best sustainable CAREER as far as enjoyment is concerned. Otherwise, I'd still be delivering pizza in Smyrna, Delaware.

I would concur with that, of course if 18 year old me knew what 26 year old me knows now, things would have been done differently. In an allusion to being a sustainable career, retirement numbers don't lie and if you want to throw your hat in the ring, throw it in now, so here I am giving it my best shot. It is an awesome job and I remember that every time I get to hand fly a visual approach over some huge metropolis at night, that of course feels good, but checking the bank account err not so much. I too have worked at Target, Starbucks, done landscaping, car wash, and endless list of crap jobs, and I do enjoy that I get to be a professional that doesn't sit behind a desk, hopefully the good vibe can continue. Don't know if that rambling made any sense, hopefully it did.

I too have worked at Target, Starbucks, done landscaping, car wash, and endless list of crap jobs, and I do enjoy that I get to be a professional that doesn't sit behind a desk, hopefully the good vibe can continue.

Don't know if that rambling made any sense, hopefully it did.

What I get out of this, is that making honest money doing whatever jobs are required to do so; is something that most people aren't above doing these days. And it's nice to see that sentiment still practiced.

Back