Tough Love

CaptBill

This is a difficult thread to start for me and it's even tougher to write the first post and attempt to have it say what I'm trying to convey. You might want to grab a seat, a couple of beers and an open mind to go with them. There are a lot of dynamic things happening in the airline industry these days and I'm beginning to see troubling trends, attitudes and unrealistic expectations about what what opportunities are going to leap into our laps any day now.

Let me start with a little self disclosure. Most of my friends here know that I'm an average guy by any definition. In fact, I have to work harder than most to attain average. I was a high-school dropout with a follow on GED. My grades, when I finally did make it into college, were not surprisingly.... average. I consider myself a good pilot, but I have to work ten times harder to make something look as easy as some of our pilot prodigies right here on JC can do in their sleep. In other words, life isn't particularly easy for me professionally despite being a senior captain with a major airline. I have a Proficiency Check (sim check) coming up this week and I have rehearsed callouts and procedures a thousand times in the past few months leading up to my event. I take nothing for granted and I know it will take all that I have to give a respectable performance for my evaluator. In summation, I don't have Chuck Yeager credentials and I'm hoping that my comments and thoughts don't come across as anything other than the humble and constructive nature in which they are intended.

My commitment when I joined JC many years ago was to learn new things, provide accurate advice to anybody soliciting it and more importantly, to keep it real. You can get all the smoke and mirrors on other websites and from other people purported to know what it takes to be a 747 captain in no time at all. All you have to do to discover this secret is mail in your check for $199. and attend the seminars. We all know that is not true so many of us come to JC. To me, JC has always been a place that represents real people wanting real answers.

Many of you know that Tracy and I are good friends, in fact I would go so far as to say we're close friends. I would drive hundreds of miles to rescue him from a broken down car and I have no doubt he would do the same for me. Tracy's situation with trying to establish a second career if you will, flying 121 operations, has been the topic of several threads recently. If flying were based on nice guys, Tracy would be a 777 captain, no doubt. Tracy is not the primary topic of this post, but his situation does represent some thinking that we all need to consider.

It's no secret that the sub-standard carriers are having a hard time recruiting and keeping pilots. We find a certain smugness and a little glee in knowing they are getting what they deserve by treating their employees badly. We bash them on JC every day and we talk about them with our co-workers and friends. We have convinced ourselves that nobody in their right mind would work for them and we continue to build our own pedestals higher and higher which further alienates our standards from theirs. We actually have convinced ourselves that most of the carriers out there today, in some way or another, are not worthy to even consider offering our services to. This is a self perpetuating phenomenon that now has young, relatively inexperienced guys, looking at a USAir, United or Polar 747 plane taxiing by saying to themselves "I would never work for them because....."

So here comes the "keep it real" stuff guys and I hope I don't offend anybody. Despite the airline industry undergoing massive changes almost daily, one thing will never change. Becoming a professional airline pilot in skill level, mental toughness and a strong character to do what's right in unimaginably difficult circumstances will never be easy, and many here on JC won't make it. Some of us are fooling ourselves thinking they have more to offer than we really do. It doesn't matter if you're working for FedEx Express, Great Lakes, Mesa or Delta.....the core of what you are and what you represent should be the same. Look in the mirror and ask yourself honestly "What do I have to offer a future employer?" If you don't have anything to offer Delta, Mesa shouldn't be considering you either. Logbooks are only a small piece of the puzzle, trust me on that. Many of us are old, have some bad history, have a lisp, too fat, too short, ugly or just plain unpleasant to be around. Do you think Great Lakes or Silver Airlines owes you something because you're willing to lower your standards and offer them a favor with some half-assed effort to fly for them? They don't owe you • and there may be a time when we need them way more than they need us. The industry will evolve, we cant afford to allow our standards to suffer due to this turbulent transition period.

The airline world is full of good and bad and we don't get to choose. There are bad instructors, interviewers, bad schedules, beautiful sunrises, smooth landings, go-arounds, first-class seats on commutes and being left at the gate on occasion. There are good breaks and bad breaks. There are idiots flying that shouldn't be, and there are great pilots still looking for work. I am theoretically at the top of my airline career and I haven't seen it change in the past 25 years.

My humble advice to all of us, myself included, is to stop thinking we are something we are not. We're not irreplaceable, we're not immune from crashing an airplane or landing at the wrong airport. We are not too good to be a complete professional regardless of where we are employed. We are good people who should be looking to become better people without petty bias..period. If you aren't where you want to be, it's likely you, not anybody else. Stop blaming the world and get up earlier tomorrow than your competition and do something they don't or won't do. Get healthier, and do an attitude check from time to time. I've always said that this job is more about perseverance than skill and I still believe that. A good attitude and a willingness to own who we are, accept our limitations and work hard from there will get us closer to where we want to be. We are our own product. Build on yourself and take pride in being better tomorrow than you are today. Then, you'll be ready to leap when that "once in a lifetime" opportunity presents itself.

If you don't have a mirror, buy one today. That will get you started in the right direction.

I have many many friends here and wish only the best for all of you.

Bill

Last edited:
Good write as usual Bill.

As I've observed my short time in this industry. ..One man's trash is another man's gold. Back in 2010, I snubbed my nose at a certain ACMI carrier for having extremely low pay for the equipment flown and terrible QOL. I had a few friends go to that carrier. Well one ended up gaining international heavy experience which lead him getting a job at Fedex.

@DPApilot "Silver Streaked" his way right into the flying that he's doing.

@CK has and will fly anything with wings. It doesn't matter that he's been incredibly successful. If it has wings, he'll fly it.

@Boris Badenov flew a 99 for Pete's sake ( I have also, but I like taking a jab at him)...

The point is, you never know where the next big meal ticket will come from. You have to have the experience to cash in though.

A Positive Attitude and Strong Passion for this industry and career will take you far. With these characteristics, you will travel into the sun. In time, you will accomplish wonders!

KLB said:
@DPApilot "Silver Streaked" his way right into the flying that he's .
Gosh, I still remember my Southwest days when you'd jumpseat like they were yesterday. I feel weird knowing that was 4 years ago...

Aside from the experience, it's also how you are as a person. I guess it's all about networking, but it really shouldn't be 'networking'...

To be the first negative voice, I would still strongly argue that "you get what you pay for" still stands. As you mentioned it is mentally tough to endure substandard pay and working conditions, while maintaining a positive and professional outlook. I just can't get over a professional pilot not being able to afford to pay rent and simple bills, and I do not think that I ever will. I wish this wasn't the case, but money talks. That said, great post.

A very genuine heartfelt post I hate to question such good intention, but I think we very much do have more to offer and are worth more than $22/hour. Pilots who do balk at such compensation have together brought about such a market-place, one only apparent since the banks have cut the funding which dried the pools of willing applicants.
But I appreciate the help and guidance you are trying to give us here.

Last edited:
A very genuine heartfelt post I hate to question such good intention, but I think we very much do have more to offer and are worth more than $22/hour. Pilots who do balk at such compensation have together brought about such a market-place, one only apparent since the banks have cut the funding which dried the pools of willing applicants.
But I appreciate the help and guidance you are trying to give us here.

I agree, but there are a lot of hypocrites out there too. I've encountered a lot of pilots that loudly proclaim themselves above the regionals, yet work for complete dog crap 135 operators like that's somehow better. Having done both, I'll take a decent regional ANYDAY over that BS.

To be the first negative voice, I would still strongly argue that "you get what you pay for" still stands. As you mentioned it is mentally tough to endure substandard pay and working conditions, while maintaining a positive and professional outlook. I just can't get over a professional pilot not being able to afford to pay rent and simple bills, and I do not think that I ever will. I wish this wasn't the case, but money talks. That said, great post.

Not taken as a negative at all. Remember though, the positive and professional attitude / outlook should represent who "we are" as a pilots, not if we're satisfied with our company or working conditions. If company B is not providing what we feel is "fair" or in some other way making our life miserable, then change jobs. I can guarantee you that if you walk into Delta, United or FedEx with a chip on your shoulder because your old company stuck it to you, they will see it a mile away and your new hire letter will never arrive.

Here's a good formula: Get a flying job that you are qualified to get hired for. Work hard and sincerely appreciate that someone is willing to pay you to fly airplanes. Be respectful and develop good work habits. Build some experience and learn skills that will make you a better pilot and take you to the next level. Apply at a bigger/ better employer and do the very same thing there. ALWAYS do your best and ALWAYS be professional. If you allow the "I don't give a damn attitude" to creep in, even though conditions may be tough, you are not only hurting yourself, you are likely throwing away your chances of flying for the carrier of your dreams some day. Working conditions can and do change, bad attitudes rarely do. I personally know several people that made well over $200k, and close to $300k last year who are still bitching about their working conditions and all the inequities life seems to throw at them. So apparently, money doesn't always "talk" as some may think. If your child has cancer or your wife was killed by a drunk driver or your best friend was just diagnosed with a terminal illness, you have permission to hurt, rant, rave, complain and even break down and cry. If not, get out of bed in the morning and strap on some character and responsibility before starting your day.

Being poor and not being able to pay rent is a "condition" that is not proprietary to new pilots. There are many attorneys, doctors and all kinds of people that most of us would be surprised to learn, that are in the exact same boat... and just like us, they too will find their way up the food chain and survive.

Thank you for this thread, and this is from a 43 year old that is finally getting off his lazy ass and working to move on/up from his current situation.
To be perfectly honest about it I admit that I have spent too long making excuses, and rationalizing why I haven't really done anything to really progress in my career. I have just been hiding out in my comfort zone!

Thank you for this thread, and this is from a 43 year old that is finally getting off his lazy ass and working to move on/up from his current situation.
To be perfectly honest about it I admit that I have spent too long making excuses, and rationalizing why I haven't really done anything to really progress in my career. I have just been hiding out in my comfort zone!

Good for you Beep. I admire your "awakening."
You will be so happy after discovering your true potential.
You are my new best friend today :)

I'll be honest, a bit over dramatic. Lets sum it up, some people make it, some don't. Some are good, some are bad but most in between. Timing is everything and we don't always get what we want.

Well... yes. But nobody (or almost nobody) is going to care to read something written like that. That's why some authors get paid big bucks to write books and some people can't even get the time of day from an agent or publishing company.

Back