Too old to become a pilot?

That is true but you may also switch jobs a half dozen or more during your career.
Not sure that's any different than what I do now. Over the past 7 or 8 years, I've haven't held a job more than 2 or 3 years. It's just the nature of my industry (web development). Sometimes those moves were of my own accord, and sometimes not. The days of holding down the same job for 20 or 30 years are long gone, for the most part.

Not sure that's any different than what I do now. Over the past 7 or 8 years, I've haven't held a job more than 2 or 3 years. It's just the nature of my industry (web development). Sometimes those moves were of my own accord, and sometimes not. The days of holding down the same job for 20 or 30 years are long gone, for the most part.

If anything, aviation is one of the few sectors where you can/people do stick with one company long term. Except freight, get your time, have your "fun" and GIT THE FRICK OUT is the name of the game there. :D

SteveCostello said:

You have another enviable career that pairs well with aviation. If I could make money while sitting in a hotel or FBO my bank account old be better but my post count would be lower.

I think most high paying jobs out there require tons of time and money to achieve and live the dream. Take a doctor for example. Spend $300,000 and 8 years to "get there" then make 35K per year for 4-8 years while paying 25K/year on the interest on your student loans to keep them from ballooning. Sure you make a ton later, but wait: " A board certified internal medicine physician who is married with 2 children, living in California and earning the median internist annual salary of $205,441 will be left with $140,939 after income taxes and $106,571 after student loan payments." And I'm pretty sure they didn't mention the malpractice insurance which, the doctors I've worked with in the past, tell me eats up most of the rest. Then take into account the "outsourcing" by which I mean 90% of doctors names at my hospital sound like Nakabhpsbi Hikkumb who take less and work more hours and I dont know where this profession will be in 10 years. Maybe the "dream" is doing what you love no matter what the pay is, as long as your happy with what you're doing.

I think most high paying jobs out there require tons of time and money to achieve and live the dream. Take a doctor for example. Spend $

I made six figures as a software engineer my first year out of school. Still very doable in that business.

Go get your private certificate first and see if you like the amount of time you have to put into it and if it as rewarding as you think it will be. That will probably only set you back $5000 or so.

Once you take that step ( and perhaps take on a PT job in the meantime ) it might be better to continue this conversation then.

Welcome to JC.

Awesome advice! I completely agree. Best 1 I've read. No Sarcasm.

Seems that many think 2nd year pay at a regional is ~$30k. I don't think that's accurate.

I'm in my second year at XJT, and if I keep up what I'm doing (~95 credit hours a month @ $34.30/hr) I would net ~$37,000 a year. That includes per diem ($1.80/hr) - which I don't understand why many pilots don't seem to include that when asked how much they make. So that equals a gross income of about ~$45,000+?

Seems that many think 2nd year pay at a regional is ~$30k. I don't think that's accurate.

I'm in my second year at XJT, and if I keep up what I'm doing (~95 credit hours a month @ $34.30/hr) I would net ~$37,000 a year. That includes per diem ($1.80/hr) - which I don't understand why many pilots don't seem to include that when asked how much they make. So that equals a gross income of about ~$45,000+?

I've always been told to take the hourly rate and multiply it by 1000. That should be what you net, or at least plan your expenses around that. Is that accurate? I've heard of FOs at Air Whisky pulling 60k on second year pay, but that sounds like you'd have no life. Their main pay increases are flying on scheduled days off, and it's time and a half. Peanuckle is 200% pay when that happens IIRC.

Awesome advice! I completely agree. Best 1 I've read. No Sarcasm.

I only partially agree with this concept of getting your private and reevaluate the career, ad this seems kind of seems like a trap. Each phase of my flying felt like an accomplishment, an opportunity to grow, a license to learn, and an opening of a door to great things. At each phase I went "all in" to the next phase of flying. PPL, INST, COM, CFI, Freight Dog, etc. The joy of each of these accomplishments wears off after a year of being in that position as the reality of the life of a CFI or freight pilot sinks in.

I am hoping the next 10 years is not like the last, but if the OP if he is still around, don't let the feeling of accomplishment of each rating dictate the choice of a career it should be by weighing the benefits of the career and its ups and downs. If you can a afford the PPL it is an accomplishment that will allow you to fly and evaluate the experience but is no indication of what it is like to be a Professional Pilot.

I've always been told to take the hourly rate and multiply it by 1000. That should be what you net, or at least plan your expenses around that. Is that accurate? I've heard of FOs at Air Whisky pulling 60k on second year pay, but that sounds like you'd have no life. Their main pay increases are flying on scheduled days off, and it's time and a half. Peanuckle is 200% pay when that happens IIRC.
I think that quick math is about right, maybe a little on the low side, but for planning purposes I'd say that's a good #.

I'd personally be interested to know if the OP is still here. 3rd year regional pay is better than teacher pay, but you lose the pension.

That's correct, but you trade going to the bottom of the seniority list for other things.

At an airline, you know where you stand. You have X number of people above you, and Y number below you. You have a pretty good idea at the start of each month how many days off you'll hold. For the most part, I don't hold less than 15 days off per month unless I chose to. With that, you have a schedule, and unless things really go to pot, it's exactly what you do. I get 2 weeks of vacation a year right now, which translates to 3 weeks off if I able to hold a decent schedule.

There are good corporate jobs out there, but in an age of austerity, what's to say the flight department is going to stick around? What about the gigs that have you on call 24 hours a day with no set days off? What about when the boss says, "I need you to go out for the next 2 weeks" and you say, "But that wasn't our agreement" and his response is, "then find a new job."

I hate sounding like a huge kool aid drinker, because I'm not by any stretch of the imagination, but with a bit of seniority, an airline gig ain't all bad. If you've got good managers (which I do), a good contract (which I do) and decent seniority (which I do) then the hyperbole of the internet starts to make less and less sense.

This is a very good post, and it is VERY true in my case. As a former charter and corporate guy, I was convinced regional airline pilot jobs were just awful gigs for those unlucky enough to find anything else. After circumstances changed in my life, I found myself at a regional airline... The first few months I was just looking for reasons to be upset with that industry, but oddly I quickly found that I actually enjoyed a lot of things about it! Far more control over my schedule, significantly more stability than I ever would've dreamed at my 135 and 91 jobs, more time off than I thought, challenging but fun days, variety of crews/personalities (mostly excellent), and fantastic training that made my part 91 type rating look like a joke.

I'm now on 2nd year pay, live where I want (in base), and make far more money than I thought I would at a regional as a FO. Admittedly, I was very fortunate to catch the beginning of a hiring wave at a strong regional (Skywest). Now I'm convinced that 121 is where I'd like to stay, unless an absolutely amazing opportunity opens up elsewhere. Coincidentally, an acquaintance just lost his dream job at a Fortune 100 company as a corporate pilot. The company merged and now he's on the street...

IMG_3629.JPG

Back