To Late to Change Career to Aviation?

ComplexHiAv8r

While I know that I would most likely never make it to the majors, I question if its too late to change careers to aviation?

I have my PPL, 200hrs PIC, working on IFR. I am 40yrs old, with a wife and kid. I am in a position with my current emploment to control some time to actually have two jobs.

I would like to get into flying, maybe night freight or small 135. Would be nice to be home more then not.

Is there a possibility for me, or it it too late?

Any assistance/comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[ QUOTE ]
While I know that I would most likely never make it to the majors, I question if its too late to change careers to aviation?

I have my PPL, 200hrs PIC, working on IFR. I am 40yrs old, with a wife and kid. I am in a position with my current emploment to control some time to actually have two jobs.

I would like to get into flying, maybe night freight or small 135. Would be nice to be home more then not.

Is there a possibility for me, or it it too late?

Any assistance/comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

taken from the FAQ's on the front page menu:

[ QUOTE ]
"Is (insert age here) too old/young to pursue an airline career?"

I get this question frequently in email so I thought I would address it here. I don't think it's ever too late to pursue a career in aviation. If you're in the mid-30's/early-40's, it's still possible. But I would definitely suggest accelerated training and considering a regional airline with a "flow though" agreement with a major airline. Targeting a regional airline with low flight time requirements (usually "pay for training") you can potentially shave -years- off of your pursuit of a job with a major airline.

On the other hand, those of you that write asking about if it's too early to start a career in aviation, there's really no such thing as "too early" I think. I wanted to be a pilot since the days that they flew DC-8's into Visalia, California (early 70's) so I spent most of my life with that as a goal. I read books, researched training, history, aircraft, whatever I could do to get more knowledge about aviation and the airlines until I was old enough to start flying at 15. You aviation career starts the day you thirst to absorb the world of aviation.

[return to index]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
But I would definitely suggest accelerated training and considering a regional airline with a "flow though" agreement with a major airline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know Regionals had flow through agreements, what are some examples?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, there's probably some 20 years olds out there saying the same thing.
smile.gif

If you're looking into 135 stuff, it's never too late. Other guys correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the age 60 rule is a 121 reg, right? As long as you can still hold your medical, you can probably find a job. If you don't mind CFIing, I've met some CFIs in their 80s.

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't know Regionals had flow through agreements, what are some examples?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing of the past, and didn't always work well when they did exist. The reference to a PFT airline for low-time pilots is suprising considering the audience here is highly anti-PFT and many of us will take any opportunity to educate you about its perils.

Corporate/135 flying is a little different and the opportunities available depend on who you know and who knows you, instead of flight experience. A friend of mine was hired to fly a Citation at 400 hours, but was well connected.

As for the original question, do it part time. With your situation and responsibilities, going off to flight school and spending $40K is something I wouldn't do. But if you are able to allocate time for training, do it locally. The contacts you make there could lead to a job in the future.

Go to a local flight school and start working on your instrument/commercial ratings but certaintly, don't leave your day job.

Like others have said, it is possible to get part time 135 work but depends largely on your connections.

[ QUOTE ]
Corporate/135 flying is a little different and the opportunities available depend on who you know and who knows you, instead of flight experience

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true in all or even most cases. There are many decent 135 operators that post job openings, hire from the outside and offer some great opportunities.

Complex:

Yo! I wsa in your shoes three years ago at age 37...only I had ZERO hours.

I'm now 40, I'm married, with a 5 month old boy, have just over 700TT with 83.3 Multi -and my CFI/CFII/MEI ratings squared away.

I went from making decent $$$ to making squat as an instructor, and I've never been happier. That said, our bank account is starting to HURT so, I'm in the market for something a bit more steady in the income area....be it right-seating for a local chart co. or something....just to have a steady income.

Be prepared to make very little money, but learn more than you ever thought possible.

The long and the short of it is this: If a career in aviation is what you want, and you <font color="red">DO YOUR RESEARCH </font> and go into it with realistic expectations (i.e., you'll never be "rich") .... and can take the finacial hit along with <font color="blue">being away from home a LOT </font>, then do as braidkid mentioned and <font color="purple"> KEEP YOUR DAY JOB </font>, go to your local FBO and continue your ratings.

I flew 3-4 times a week for 2.5 years STRAIGHT and here I am.

Remember though, it's a fun job, it just won't pay well for quite some time, so be prepared.

That's my $0.04 for whatever it's worth.

R2F

Appreciate the info.

I continue to keep the day job, trying to get some time flying. Talked to a few others about partnering on a Beech Sierra to build complex time in. Only getting 3 hrs a week presently.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Corporate/135 flying is a little different and the opportunities available depend on who you know and who knows you, instead of flight experience

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true in all or even most cases. There are many decent 135 operators that post job openings, hire from the outside and offer some great opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I should have consulted an expert before I posted.

Not that there is anything wrong with picking up a job from knowing someone, but all I have to draw upon is my own observations and people I know that are corporate or 135 pilots.

Back