to drive or not to drive to OKC?

Craptastic

Reading that amtrak website it says that it only goes between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL. I don't see any thing about it traveling to OKC. If you need your car then you might as well drive it down. If you would rather then some of the places you can stay have rentals available that you can use when you want to. Otherwise if you can stay at one of the bus route places and save on gas and wear and tear on your car.

kdothammond

no there is only one route, when you change the parameters to a different location it gives you the rates of regular fares

GeorgeM

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...te_Page&c=am2Route&cid=1081256321200&ssid=136

I was going to go to OKC without my car since I am 20hrs away but lets not forget th AUTO TRAIN (good ole AMTRACK) and it cost just as much as the airfare would cost except you get the benifit of bringing your car! And for those of us that dont want to drive the long distance in that snow... And crazy winter weather...

:nana2:
Autotrain only runs on the East coast. Doesn't really matter, cuz I-40 from Charlotte to OKC is seldom affected by snow or ice. All those semis use it year round. Have a nice drive, spend the night in Memphis or Little Rock, drive in to OKC the next day.

WTeezy

hey katbonilla i saw in another post that you would be driving from northern va. Im in winchester and am about to make that hike in the next day or 2. Ill let ya know how it is

Katbonilla

Yeah Im in northern VA... but I dont think i want to make that drive during the winter season... But please let me know how that drive is for you cause I will be taking that ride back home probably... But yes Amtrack has a horrible web-site that hardly explains there autotran system there has to be someone else that can do a car relocation... I wouldnt make 8hrs I always fly places :panic:

WTeezy

Yeah Im in northern VA... but I dont think i want to make that drive during the winter season... But please let me know how that drive is for you cause I will be taking that ride back home probably... But yes Amtrack has a horrible web-site that hardly explains there autotran system there has to be someone else that can do a car relocation... I wouldnt make 8hrs I always fly places :panic:
split it into 2 1/2 days if you got to if your gonna be there for 13wks im sure your gonna want a car

teetee

We are going to be driving in late December through the Rocky Mountains to get to OKC! SCARRY! Luckily we are used to bad winter driving and we have a vehicle that is AMAZING in the snow and such (gotta love traction control). We are giving ourselves 3 days to drive there but planning and hoping to only have to use 2 of them...driving for about 9 hours per day is about all the kids and dog can handle.

Stinger

We are going to be driving in late December through the Rocky Mountains to get to OKC! SCARRY! Luckily we are used to bad winter driving and we have a vehicle that is AMAZING in the snow and such (gotta love traction control). We are giving ourselves 3 days to drive there but planning and hoping to only have to use 2 of them...driving for about 9 hours per day is about all the kids and dog can handle.
My family never really travels on the airlines. If we're going somewhere basically anywhere west of the Mississippi, we drive it. Most places can be driven in either a full 2 days or just taking up part of a 3rd day. Next weekend I'll be taking only my second roundtrip airline flight ever in 20 years!

WTeezy

I made it! I drove about 13hrs the first day, stopped at a sweet motel 6 in little rock then the next day took that 4 1/2 hr drive or so and made it here. It wasnt that bad i say drive!!

sasquatch

I'm SCARED of cross country road trips (because of my '98 Corolla) !!!! I've recruited 2 buddies to come with me to OKC with promises of 'partying' in New Orleans first. After thoroughly inspecting ole Bessie, I think that part of the journey I can handle. It's the driving alone to my facility in LA that scares me!! And after driving all that time I won't be able to just roll into work, hence eating up even more vacation time.
But it's the only car I got, and buying a similar 98 Corolla in LA would STILL set me back 3 grand.

teetee

The scarriest part of that drive would be driving through the hot, barren desert areas. At least you will be driving in the winter...summer would kill you and most likely overheat the car.

We were in a BRAND NEW car driving through Death Valley and our car was even feeling it.

fredo

Has anyone traveled from Northern CA to OKC in mid January? I've got a lowered 2WD truck and curious if snow/ice will be an issue. I viewed the major cities I'll pass in my journey like Flagstaff, Albuquerque, OKC, and they report low temps and min-moderate precipitation but I'm still not sure. Any insight?

teetee

Are you planning on driving South then East or East and then South? That would be a big determining factor.
If you just started driving East than South, you would be driving through SEVERAL mountain ranges that tend to have roads with not only snow but sometimes completely closed due to the snow. Oft times you can't even enter the area without chains and 4-wheel drive. Basically you would go the same way my family will be going but you would have an extra 12 hours added to the drive. Since driving East and then South would most likely ADD several hundred miles and a couple hours to your trip, I think driving South than East would be best :)

If you chose to go South and then drive East, you would most likely hit some weather but I would highly doubt it would be snow.

Check out yahoo maps. You can just click and change the route and see where each way takes you. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=36.64696&lon=-109.54531&zoom=6&q1=sacramento.%20ca&q2=okc%2C%20ok&w0=35.56798045801208%2C-119.5751953125

nathanw

Has anyone traveled from Northern CA to OKC in mid January? I've got a lowered 2WD truck and curious if snow/ice will be an issue. I viewed the major cities I'll pass in my journey like Flagstaff, Albuquerque, OKC, and they report low temps and min-moderate precipitation but I'm still not sure. Any insight?
I've driven I-40 from near OKC all the way to Barstow (and then to I-5) in early March time frame with no problems. In a 2wd pickup (Ranger).

nofear

I am planning to drive to oklahoma city first of the year with my good old 2 wheel drive toyota pickup 203,000 miles. It runs like a champ though and I'll have a good set of new tires on it and some weight in the back and a set of chains as backup. I am not overly worried about it. Preparation is the key! I am from Idaho so I guess I am used to the snow/driving. I say bring your car!

nathanw

Whenever there is a Focus in front of me that pisses me off... I am always yelling... "FOCUS!!!".

What a great name for a car.
I kept calling it a Ficus when I got it so now several of my friends refer to it as the tree car. Or Papa Smurf. It's blue.