to bid or not to bid...

Flyvne

… for those who are very low..
I am very low in seniority with absolutely no hope in holding a real line or getting Christmas off. So I did not bid. I have nothing going on in December other than Christmas.

By not bidding I not only got Christmas day off to spend with the family, but New Year’s Day off too!! Go figure! :nana2::yup::rawk::panic::bandit::banghead::crazy:

This is what confuses me. Im 15 out of 17 FOs at my base. There are only 11 lines. Those of us who dont get a line, get reserve or whatever they want to give us. However the worst line, is still worse than getting all reserve. So when I am senior enough to bid a line, why would I? The only reason Ill ever bid a line is when Im in the top 5 and can get a decent line.

i bid a line regardless. if i have to spend time in alb id rather get paid for it. plus im pretty sure that ill get the left overs anyway.

i bid a line regardless. if i have to spend time in alb id rather get paid for it. plus im pretty sure that ill get the left overs anyway.

Get paid for what though? If its the hot reserve line or regular reserve given to you, what would you rather have? If the hot reserve line is close to 75, then sure.

If the lines were all close to 75, then sure, anything extra you do youll get paid for. But when they build you a reserve schedule like mine, and its projected credit is only 45hours, it makes you pretty lazy to try and do anything extra.

i would like to crack 20 hours. even after my pairing this fri i will have just over 20 hours. i enjoy flying over sitting. that is just me.

yea that is true. i would like to get some experience and get that green tag off my name. then i will settle down.

yea that is true. i would like to get some experience and get that green tag off my name. then i will settle down.

I can understand that. I got lucky and broke 100 hours in just over a month, but that was because we had the summer flying still.

Ill be lucky if I go over 25 this month.

You say that now. If I'm not over guarantee I'd rather fly 0 hours. :p Otherwise its just for free.

:yeahthat:

Sure, I need the TPIC time, but it doesn't look like I'm gonna be going anywhere fast. Not counting per diem, my paycheck looks the same if I fly 20 hours or if I fly 75 hours. I know guys that had high speed lines, picked up a lot of open time and flew 76 hours. So, they killed themselves for an extra 1 hour of pay.

:yeahthat:

Sure, I need the TPIC time, but it doesn't look like I'm gonna be going anywhere fast. Not counting per diem, my paycheck looks the same if I fly 20 hours or if I fly 75 hours. I know guys that had high speed lines, picked up a lot of open time and flew 76 hours. So, they killed themselves for an extra 1 hour of pay.

Maybe with a better contract (or a contract) I would pick up open time.

For those of you at other airlines, what type of stuff goes on top of guarantee? At Colgan its just holiday pay and junior man. We get 3.75 for every day under 10 days off in a month, however that is not on top of guarantee. Last month I had a reserve line with only 10 days off and a projection of 50 hours. I called them up and asked what gives, and they were nice enough to drop a reserve day.

I have heard at other airlines that open time is 150% on top of guarantee.

Maybe with a better contract (or a contract) I would pick up open time.

For those of you at other airlines, what type of stuff goes on top of guarantee? At Colgan its just holiday pay and junior man. We get 3.75 for every day under 10 days off in a month, however that is not on top of guarantee. Last month I had a reserve line with only 10 days off and a projection of 50 hours. I called them up and asked what gives, and they were nice enough to drop a reserve day.

I have heard at other airlines that open time is 150% on top of guarantee.

Open time pays no extra here. If it's in open time, and you're below 75 hours, you're flying for free. Now, if you get JMed or extended, that's on top of guarantee. I don't even wanna talk about the lack of holiday pay here......

If they're desperate to get things covered, they'll sometimes offer open time at 150%, but it's normally seat specific. For a while it was "All CAs get 150% for open time," then it was everyone, then it was just FOs, now it's no one.

Open time pays no extra here. If it's in open time, and you're below 75 hours, you're flying for free. Now, if you get JMed or extended, that's on top of guarantee. I don't even wanna talk about the lack of holiday pay here......

If they're desperate to get things covered, they'll sometimes offer open time at 150%, but it's normally seat specific. For a while it was "All CAs get 150% for open time," then it was everyone, then it was just FOs, now it's no one.

At least you get it for being extended. We just get a big slap in the face, and it hurts even worse when you arent close to guarantee.

What do you mean lack of pay for holiday? Do you mean that most holidays arent paid?

… for those who are very low..
I am very low in seniority with absolutely no hope in holding a real line or getting Christmas off. So I did not bid. I have nothing going on in December other than Christmas.

By not bidding I not only got Christmas day off to spend with the family, but New Year’s Day off too!! Go figure! :nana2::yup::rawk::panic::bandit::banghead::crazy:

Wow thats lucky, congrats! I had a similar thing happen to me in June. I was right at the bottom of being able to hold a line so granted I was used to the lines sucking pretty bad from the previous months. But I just bid "min sked" and got 83 hours with all weekends off and all 4 day trips (I was commuting then) with 16 days off. I don't know how it happened but I nearly soiled myself. Then in July it was back to the normal 15 days off friday through monday 78 hour line. I bid reserve for the last couple of months and sat around enough to the point that Im excited about my new crappy December line. Plus first full month holding a line with 2nd year pay. Im gonna be rich!

What do you mean lack of pay for holiday? Do you mean that most holidays arent paid?

If by most you mean none, then yeah. We don't get holiday pay for ANY holidays. If you have a 75 hour line and work Xmas and New Years....you get paid 75 hours. No extra. We used to get a turkey or something (it was before I got here), but that's gone. Now, we get fed assuming you've got a layover in a hub long enough to scramble down to the crew room, fight the office staff for food and sit down to eat it. If you're doing turns out of IND or LGA, you're screwed.

If by most you mean none, then yeah. We don't get holiday pay for ANY holidays. If you have a 75 hour line and work Xmas and New Years....you get paid 75 hours. No extra. We used to get a turkey or something (it was before I got here), but that's gone. Now, we get fed assuming you've got a layover in a hub long enough to scramble down to the crew room, fight the office staff for food and sit down to eat it. If you're doing turns out of IND or LGA, you're screwed.

Thats gotta be the ####tiest thing I have heard all day.

We get 3.75 for something like 5 or 6 holidays, and thats on top of guarantee.

They were trying to get me to cover open time on a day off this month and in return I would get thanksgiving off. I said hell no, I do a stand-up ending at 750am on Thanksgiving Day so Ill get to be home all day, and Ill get 3.75 of holiday pay. Having that taken off would make me lose money!

Back