To all of you part 61 CFI's

JustinA

Do you guys use a syllabus for private students or did you make up your own? If so, which one do you use? Thanks, Justin

I do both 61 and 141. For 61 I do follow a syllabus, but I get to switch more things individually for each student.

I am also both 61 and 141. I use a syllabus as it brings structure to the 61 environment.

If you don't follow some sort of syllabus you will cost your students money and that won't be good for your reputation.

We use the Jepp syllabus, although it's been a while since I've done a private student. I'm doing mostly multi-engine and CFI stuff and the CFI stuff is definitely new territory for me since I'm just a few months over the 2 years.

When I had part 61 students, I followed the Jeep Part 141 syllabus, but knew that I didnt have to stick to it cold.

I use the Jepp syllabus, but I add other things such as courses from the AOPA ASF and the FAA site, quizzes from the AOPA ASF, other on-line sources (such as http://www.faa-ground-school.com/Lessons.aspx?id=1), additional reading from other sources, questions from the written that deal with the subject at and, and some things of my own. As I've written before, I am a big believer in home work and ground.

i use the Cessna CPC, but i use it loosely. I don't particularly like the CPC as a whole due to the fact that all the ground training is computer based, and i have to re-teach my students.

i use the Cessna CPC, but i use it loosely. I don't particularly like the CPC as a whole due to the fact that all the ground training is computer based, and i have to re-teach my students.
You should not have to "re-teach", but merely check their quiz scores, review items that seem to be giving them trouble, then do a check of their learning. Exceptions would be areas where you disagree with the Kings, or where you do something differently.

I use a syllabus. Mostly Jepp but I modify just about all of it. I use it as the foundation and go from there.

You should not have to "re-teach", but merely check their quiz scores, review items that seem to be giving them trouble, then do a check of their learning. Exceptions would be areas where you disagree with the Kings, or where you do something differently.

With most students yes, but with a few, for some reason they just don't understand what the cd-roms are teaching them. This is where being a human being comes into play because you can adjust your teaching style and pace to better suit them, as well as answer any questions they may have while the freshly learned information is still in their mind. Bottom line is that computer based training is great, as a supplement, however as a primary form of learning it is worthless. If it was such a wonderful way of learning, colleges would cease to exist and tuition would buy you a big pack of cd-roms.

With most students yes, but with a few, for some reason they just don't understand what the cd-roms are teaching them. This is where being a human being comes into play because you can adjust your teaching style and pace to better suit them, as well as answer any questions they may have while the freshly learned information is still in their mind. Bottom line is that computer based training is great, as a supplement, however as a primary form of learning it is worthless. If it was such a wonderful way of learning, colleges would cease to exist and tuition would buy you a big pack of cd-roms.

Fair enough, but I disagree.

I've had very good experiences with the CPC training CDs. I taught using the Jepp syllabus for a college flight program, and made my own syllabus when working for a flying club and freelancing, before coming to my current position, and I'd say the CPC system is hands down the best I've seen yet.

Of course it takes some review, but doing a 20 minute review before the flight to supplement the videos is a heck of a lot easier than trying to teach it from the ground up to a student with no prior knowledge before walking in the door.

I'm with JRH. I taught at a CPC center prior to going out on my own. I never had a problem with any student grasping the concepts presented in the Cessna CD-ROMs. Using the Jepp system (just reading, some on-line resourses), I find that I have to spend far more time on ground.

I wrote my own. Got it 141 approved and now use it when I teach (strictly 61 "freelance" stuff now).

I'd recommend to anyone that's "serious" about instructing, write your own syllabuses (syllabi?) and accompanying lesson plans. You'll really get to know the material that way.

Come up with visual aids, different ways to teach the same thing, yadda yadda, FOI bla bla, thinga thinga thing. Copy?

Oh...as you're writing this, teach it to your wife/girlfriend/mistress. Especially if they aren't pilots. If you can teach it to a non-pilot and they get it and get it "well", then you should be good with a student that's there because they want to learn how to fly.

-mini

Back