Tips? Pay?

JJ8Flyer

Thinking about taking a job with Key Aviation/Key Air at KFPR. What is pay usually like? Anyone ever make tips?

At a place like that expect around or above $10/hr to start and probably a probationary period, then an increase.

Some pilots tip, some don't. You may jsut be doing your job and get a tip. You may go above and beyond for something and not get a tip. I've had tips range from $3 to $20 and I work at a smaller FBO with hardly a twin engine pulling up to the pumps. Don't count on them, but don't count them out either.

Hey, I worked at a FBO at KSNA for 2 1/2 years while I was working on my A&P. Started at $9.00 (2002) When I left I was a Ramp Supervisor making 13.00 an hour. Of course our Tips kicked some serious butt some nights. Just make sure that they have a good tip pooling program if there is much action. Remember tasteful discretion, because if management gets wind of people going home with 50$ a night(about what we used to average) they won't have an incentive to give raises. Karl Malone lived in Newport Beach while he played for the Lakers, 100$ tip every time!!! Keep in mind the best thing to do is to go out your way whether it's pilots or passengers. Too much now FBO's will have line guy's sitting in the pilot lounge watching TV. Our crew(still some of my best friends), would have the single point hooked up and the Lav in the process of being serviced, and the luggage cart at the cargo door, before the door was down on one of our best customers GIII. That's just they way you have to do it.

would have the single point hooked up and the Lav in the process of being serviced, and the luggage cart at the cargo door, before the door was down on one of our best customers GIII.

oh...you guys do that stuff for tips, I thought it was for the ramp fees that they charge there!! j/k

When i used to be a lineman in bakersfield, it was much of the same...5-20 here and there, and once in a while you would see a really good tip. Weird though, because sometimes the people you know have the most money are the most stingy, and the small time rec pilot coming over on a weekend cross country would kick down 20 because you let them use the crewcar for half and hour...you never know.

No Ramp Fees in 2002 at SNA believe it! I wasn't at Brand X. That's why we were so busy...........Jets would land and turn off right into our ramp unannounced, it was crazy. I think LAVs were either free or like 10 dollars, thats why we got so many tips.

Back