Tips for Dispatching?

CJFoxy

I want to hear everyone’s advice or tips for dispatching. One thing I’ve learned is that everyone does it differently! What is something that has helped you in your day to day dispatching and what can you pass along? Anything like useful websites, problem solving, working with others, desk set up’s, quality of life, ect. Even advice on how to get better at the job. Im still new to dispatching and it can be very overwhelming at times. I find myself confused constantly when it comes to operations and context. I understand overtime I’ll learn but as of now I find myself asking a lot of questions.

Last edited:
I want to hear everyone’s advice or tips for dispatching. One thing I’ve learned is that everyone does it differently! What is something that has helped you in your day to day dispatching and what can you pass along? Anything like useful websites, problem solving, working with others, desk set up’s, quality of life, ect. Even advice on how to get better at the job. Im still new to dispatching and it can be very overwhelming at times. I find myself confused constantly when it comes to operations and context. I understand overtime I’ll learn but as of now I find myself asking a lot of questions. Here is an example that might sound a bit silly to some of you long time dispatchers:

I received a phone call from MX control. I head no idea they worked in the same building as me because no one explained it to me. The MX controller asked me aa question about one of my flights. He said “is it ok if I add this MEL to your flight”? I somewhat bladdered like an idea while looking up the MEL and eventually turned phone over to my trainer. The MEL had to do with icing conditions. My trainer then talked to the MX controller and they solved the issue. I then turned to my trainer and asked him “why is MX asking if they can add an MEL? They are MX if something is broken on the aircraft they can add the MEL”. Anyways this is the dumb part because my trainer then explained to me that he wasn’t asking if he can add the MEL to the airplane, he was asking if this MEL would be a problem for flight by adding it. Then he explained if it was a problem for our flight we would need to get the plane swapped out or have MX travel to come and repair it.

Moral of the story is the context to me wasn’t there. I had a total misunderstanding of the situation and I didn’t know what was being asked of me. I tend experience this a lot as a new dispatch. I’m not sure what’s being asked of me or completely understand the whole situation. Any advice would be great. Like I said I know overtime I’ll learn all these random things but I’d like to see what other dispatchers have to share.
Thanks!
I just got signed off a few weeks ago. You will pick up a lot of that stuff throughout the duration of training, but honestly, I've realized that there's so much stuff that you will just pick up working the desk on your own. One of the biggest things is to ask for clarification if there's something that you don't necessarily understand -- no one is going to fault you for asking to clarify something you are not clear on.

I want to hear everyone’s advice or tips for dispatching. One thing I’ve learned is that everyone does it differently! What is something that has helped you in your day to day dispatching and what can you pass along? Anything like useful websites, problem solving, working with others, desk set up’s, quality of life, ect. Even advice on how to get better at the job. Im still new to dispatching and it can be very overwhelming at times. I find myself confused constantly when it comes to operations and context. I understand overtime I’ll learn but as of now I find myself asking a lot of questions. Here is an example that might sound a bit silly to some of you long time dispatchers:

I received a phone call from MX control. I head no idea they worked in the same building as me because no one explained it to me. The MX controller asked me aa question about one of my flights. He said “is it ok if I add this MEL to your flight”? I somewhat bladdered like an idea while looking up the MEL and eventually turned phone over to my trainer. The MEL had to do with icing conditions. My trainer then talked to the MX controller and they solved the issue. I then turned to my trainer and asked him “why is MX asking if they can add an MEL? They are MX if something is broken on the aircraft they can add the MEL”. Anyways this is the dumb part because my trainer then explained to me that he wasn’t asking if he can add the MEL to the airplane, he was asking if this MEL would be a problem for flight by adding it. Then he explained if it was a problem for our flight we would need to get the plane swapped out or have MX travel to come and repair it.

Moral of the story is the context to me wasn’t there. I had a total misunderstanding of the situation and I didn’t know what was being asked of me. I tend experience this a lot as a new dispatch. I’m not sure what’s being asked of me or completely understand the whole situation. Any advice would be great. Like I said I know overtime I’ll learn all these random things but I’d like to see what other dispatchers have to share.
Thanks!

Sounds like your company’s training department has some big issues. No way should a dispatcher be sent to desk training without being taught adding, removing and applying MELs as well as the organizational structure of the company during classroom training.

I want to hear everyone’s advice or tips for dispatching. One thing I’ve learned is that everyone does it differently! What is something that has helped you in your day to day dispatching and what can you pass along? Anything like useful websites, problem solving, working with others, desk set up’s, quality of life, ect. Even advice on how to get better at the job. Im still new to dispatching and it can be very overwhelming at times. I find myself confused constantly when it comes to operations and context. I understand overtime I’ll learn but as of now I find myself asking a lot of questions.

Something I picked up almost from day one is always to write down your derived alternate minimums and the runways you based it off of that way if the TAF is updated or there is a NOTAM issued you will have a quick reference to see if it affects your flights currently or you’re alternate choices throughout the rest of your shift.

Something I picked up almost from day one is always to write down your derived alternate minimums and the runways you based it off of that way if the TAF is updated or there is a NOTAM issued you will have a quick reference to see if it affects your flights currently or you’re alternate choices throughout the rest of your shift.
That or use something like OneNote/Excel/Notepad on the computer to keep important notes/info that you can recycle if you have the same flights multiple times a week.

Always ask for help! If you are unsure in the slightest if something looks legal/correct, ASK! Countless times I've seen dispatchers get buried by not asking questions or for help when they are behind. This leads to more stress and rushing to send a flight plan out. Mistakes can and will be made and this can quickly lead to an illegal release and/or ASAP filing if something is overlooked. Sometimes your crew may catch something but usually you will find out the hard way by either an internal audit or from the relieving dispatcher. If an MEL looks wrong, question it! I've had MX control apply the wrong MEL on more than one occasion. Time permitting, double check the dispatcher's work you are taking over for. The moment you accept the turnover you are LEGALLY RESPONSIBILE. On poor wx days I will double check alternates, and if a restrictive MEL is applied, take the time to double check the penalties are correct and applied appropriately. We are all human and mistakes do happen, but the safest way to dispatch is proactively and not reactively.

When in doubt, Ask.

Your team is going to help, as you would help out your fellow team members. No one knows everything, and if you're starting to assume your ALTNs are fine because "ahhh, you used it three days straight," there are probably NOTAMs.

Seriously. Ask.

We're all here to help each other out, and while you may encounter jerkoff teammates or co-workers, we'll happily stop staring at our own phones if someone needs assistance.

//

I'll say from previous experience, that if you're overloaded or finding yourself task saturated pretty badly, there are times that the whole office could be like that, sure, but IROPS are awesome. Just ask if you need the help.

I'll also say the flight decks are flying, yeah, but just like ATC will ask for ride reports, a good ACARS or SATPHONE to get an update is usually appreciated. I like letting crews know why I'm sending them on what may appear to be some adventure, especially if the rides are lousy.

//
Oh.

Put your name on your stuff in the fridge. If you kill the coffee, fill the coffee.
Welcome to Earf. And good luck.

:)

1. Ask questions. Questions save ASAP's. Try to remember the answers so you don't ask the same questions.

2. Don't rely solely on TAFs. Because of the way taf makers are graded, they frequently won't put ts in there until it is about to imminently hit the field. Use your eyes and also the Forecast Discussions on the aviation weather center. They'll usually say what they really think could happen there. (Cospa also is useful)... and also if you see vcts, i'd treat it like ts. If that guy can predict a storm will be within 10 miles of the field but not hit the field, he belongs in vegas.

3. Stay ahead especially while youre new. Build a nice buffer so if you get a tough one you have time and won't fall behind. If you get a couple easy flights and then a hard one (bad mel, need to route around weather, hard to find a good alternate etc) do the easy ones first.

4. The release goes out when youre ready. Don't let ops agents or gate agents rush you. Make sure it's legal and safe. Better they get their paperwork a little late than you have to do an asap because some guy at the gate in denver was panicing about paperwork and you just hit the button and didnt look at wx, notams, route, or mel's and missed something.

Don’t be afraid to push back against pilots when they try to talk you into something that you don’t feel good about or that just doesn’t make sense. Often times pilots don’t understand the big picture which can cause contention. Have an open discussion and explain exactly what you are thinking and why. Have this discussion with an open mind.

On the flip side don’t try to talk pilots into something they genuinely don’t feel good about. Especially when a supervisor comes over and tries to dictate to you what to tell the pilot and that they need to “get over it”. In the end it will be your voice on the recorded line during the NTSB investigation.

Going to what Wonderlic said about external pressures from sups I think another member here posted something that occurred along those lines way back when. Ill see if I can find it but I believe it involved winter weather and a flap MEL.

Edit - Found the story. Thanks again to @pljenkins for helping us learn from what happened. (bad formatting, forum doesn't play nice with inserting quotes from completely different threads.)

A1TAPE said:
Care to share the story so we can learn from it? Did the capt use his PIC Authority to push back against dispatch? What was the end result?

pljenkins
Sure.. It's been almost 2 decades since this happened, so I guess I can de-identify it enough not to implicate anyone. :) Some names/cities/details may be changed to protect the parties involved...

This involved winter operations in the venerable CRJ-200. It was your typical east coast winter weather scenario. Everything 400 miles surrounding the departure airport is at or below minimums. Our pilot flew into Philly, and on the way down the flaps locked out somewhere between 0 and 10 degrees, leading to a sporty approach nearly to minimums to a contaminated runway (those that have ever dealt with the CRJ-200 has either had or will have this issue, and this airplane lands with no flaps at about the same speed as an F-104) and an understandingly shaken pilot. She gets to the gate and calls contract maintenance who comes out and manages to get the flaps working. As the mechanic is standing at the door to the cockpit finishing up the logbook he casually mentions that the flap track is pretty much worn out and he didn't feel at all confident that the flaps wouldn't lock out again on departure. Now our pilot, obviously concerned, calls maintenance control and says, "hey, the mechanic doesn't think this fix is gonna stick". MX Control simply states, "well, he cleared it and signed it off, obviously he fixed it. Fly the bus". Unsatisfied with this, our pilot now calls the dispatcher for the outbound flight and tells the tale. Outbound dispatcher loops in MX control and a spirited debate ensues over "fixed" vs. "pencil whipped", and how given the conditions "good enough" ain't good enough. MX control holds their ground, so they disconnect from him and the dispatchers stands up and says "no-go" to the coordinator sitting across the room. Coordinator calls MX control and after a short discussion takes the side of MX control. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, the CP is calling the captain, who somehow has gotten wind of this situation. The dispatcher, who is one of the old school veterans there, is firmly holding ground.

I'm privvy to none of this as I'm busy dealing with my own 95 flights for the day, nearly all of which are flying in this crap. As an aside, I'm about 5 months on the job at this point there, so I'm green as baby •. Suddenly, I find the chief of the watch tapping on my shoulder, who presents me with the following; "I have a flight in Philly that had a flap issue going in. MX fixed it and signed it off. I need you to take care of getting him out of there."

Ummm, okay, boss. I'm already getting my ass kicked, what's one more flight? I click-monkey through it and ship it. Seconds later the phone rings. It's the captain and the chief pilot. I find this odd, but I have no time to really consider what this actually means and assume we are just doing some sort of briefing about the weather and the flap situation. In retrospect, this is where the alarm bells really should have started going off, but again, I'm an FNG, I'm solidly in the yellow, and I've just been presented with a working airplane and a legal, mission ready crew by whom I thought was a trustworthy source. In reality, I was presented with none of those things. We do a quick brief. Captain is asking a lot of questions about weather and takeoff alternates (of which there was one, at the edge of range, in the opposite direction of where she was going). She seems satisfied, declines the invitation by the CP to ask any further questions, and we end the call.

About 20 minutes later the flight blasts off. About 5 minutes after that I get a call on the radio (we had direct radios for some stations that we monitored) that the flaps have jammed at around 18 degrees, she's in icing conditions, and as she was already well on her way south she felt the safest course of action was to continue that way to get out of the precip and icing. She gets down to around Charlotte where she lands uneventfully.

Here's what I didn't know. She flew for an hour and a half, by hand, in IMC and ice, keeping the airplane in a remarkably narrow band between overspeed and stall. The passengers got off that plane never knowing how bad the situation was, because this pilot was a Steely Eyed Missile Woman. No doubt, her skills are what saved the day.

As I'm walking out the door the original dispatcher, somewhat, ummm, annoyed, accosts me in the parking lot and asks me, with many more metaphors than I will add here, what I was thinking. I'm initially confused. I tell him the story from my perspective and his attitude goes from outrage to concern. He tells me, in no uncertain terms, that the next thing I need to do with my time is fill out a NASA form spelling out EXACTLY what I told him, which I promptly did. We had no union representation there, so that wasn't an option, but our DI was a really sympathetic and the conversation I had with him ended up being mostly his apologizing to me for ever being put in that position. That was really the last I heard about it, but from what I gather the FSDO sent some suits over to the head honchos for a "come to Jesus" meeting about coercing crews into situations they were not comfortable with, and we never had that issue again going forward.

These days, there is a lot of talk about DRM and CRM. No doubt situations like this played into the FAA's increased interest in not tolerating blow back on dispatchers who stand up and say "Hell no, we won't go", and they act pretty decisively against companies that attempt to do so these days, thankfully. As for that day, we all got lucky. We all kept our licenses, we all kept our lives, and we all learned a valuable lesson... One I have been sure to instill in every dispatcher I've ever had the honor to train.

Now, back to my scotch. :)

Last edited:
Always ask for help! If you are unsure in the slightest if something looks legal/correct, ASK! Countless times I've seen dispatchers get buried by not asking questions or for help when they are behind. This leads to more stress and rushing to send a flight plan out. Mistakes can and will be made and this can quickly lead to an illegal release and/or ASAP filing if something is overlooked. Sometimes your crew may catch something but usually you will find out the hard way by either an internal audit or from the relieving dispatcher. If an MEL looks wrong, question it! I've had MX control apply the wrong MEL on more than one occasion. Time permitting, double check the dispatcher's work you are taking over for. The moment you accept the turnover you are LEGALLY RESPONSIBILE. On poor wx days I will double check alternates, and if a restrictive MEL is applied, take the time to double check the penalties are correct and applied appropriately. We are all human and mistakes do happen, but the safest way to dispatch is proactively and not reactively.
Thanks! Awesome response. Sometime I'm a little intimidated to ask questions but I need to think of the consequences if I don't asking.

Good idea. I should write down things. I tend to notice I forget a flight I worked up about 5 flights ago

When in doubt, Ask.

Your team is going to help, as you would help out your fellow team members. No one knows everything, and if you're starting to assume your ALTNs are fine because "ahhh, you used it three days straight," there are probably NOTAMs.

Seriously. Ask.

We're all here to help each other out, and while you may encounter jerkoff teammates or co-workers, we'll happily stop staring at our own phones if someone needs assistance.

//

I'll say from previous experience, that if you're overloaded or finding yourself task saturated pretty badly, there are times that the whole office could be like that, sure, but IROPS are awesome. Just ask if you need the help.

I'll also say the flight decks are flying, yeah, but just like ATC will ask for ride reports, a good ACARS or SATPHONE to get an update is usually appreciated. I like letting crews know why I'm sending them on what may appear to be some adventure, especially if the rides are lousy.

//
Oh.

Put your name on your stuff in the fridge. If you kill the coffee, fill the coffee.
Welcome to Earf. And good luck.

:)
Thanks for the advice! Do you have any tips on phone calls? I'm still learning roles and lingo when communicating. I usually panic when I get a phone call because Its usually some weird problem they need solving and I have no idea what they are talking about.

1. Ask questions. Questions save ASAP's. Try to remember the answers so you don't ask the same questions.

2. Don't rely solely on TAFs. Because of the way taf makers are graded, they frequently won't put ts in there until it is about to imminently hit the field. Use your eyes and also the Forecast Discussions on the aviation weather center. They'll usually say what they really think could happen there. (Cospa also is useful)... and also if you see vcts, i'd treat it like ts. If that guy can predict a storm will be within 10 miles of the field but not hit the field, he belongs in vegas.

3. Stay ahead especially while youre new. Build a nice buffer so if you get a tough one you have time and won't fall behind. If you get a couple easy flights and then a hard one (bad mel, need to route around weather, hard to find a good alternate etc) do the easy ones first.

4. The release goes out when youre ready. Don't let ops agents or gate agents rush you. Make sure it's legal and safe. Better they get their paperwork a little late than you have to do an asap because some guy at the gate in denver was panicing about paperwork and you just hit the button and didnt look at wx, notams, route, or mel's and missed something.

Thanks for the advice! This helps a lot. I've noticed being new it's a hard concept for me to understand I have operational control and I can use it. I feel so inexperienced and new that I don't know what is right or wrong. I once had a gate agent asked me for the amended release so they could leave early. She said it so confidentially I assumed that it was ok for them to leave early.

Don’t be afraid to push back against pilots when they try to talk you into something that you don’t feel good about or that just doesn’t make sense. Often times pilots don’t understand the big picture which can cause contention. Have an open discussion and explain exactly what you are thinking and why. Have this discussion with an open mind.

On the flip side don’t try to talk pilots into something they genuinely don’t feel good about. Especially when a supervisor comes over and tries to dictate to you what to tell the pilot and that they need to “get over it”. In the end it will be your voice on the recorded line during the NTSB investigation.
Yea I need to work on this. I get in my head assuming the pilot over the phone knows more than me so I lose my confidence in myself. I'm sure overtime with experience it gets better. Just need to keep telling myself that!

Going to what Wonderlic said about external pressures from sups I think another member here posted something that occurred along those lines way back when. Ill see if I can find it but I believe it involved winter weather and a flap MEL.

Edit - Found the story. Thanks again to @pljenkins for helping us learn from what happened. (bad formatting, forum doesn't play nice with inserting quotes from completely different threads.)
Thanks for sharing! Quiet inspiring. I hope I can become a great dispatcher who can stand up for himself in moments like that. I imagine the pressure can cause you to second guess yourself.

Thanks for the advice! Do you have any tips on phone calls? I'm still learning roles and lingo when communicating. I usually panic when I get a phone call because Its usually some weird problem they need solving and I have no idea what they are talking about.

As time goes on you’ll pick up on how these things flow. More often than not it’ll be the same general set of things that they’ll be calling about (weight and balance issue, MEL application, wanting more gas, etc). However as your career progresses you’ll still get those calls that make you go “whiskey tango foxtrot”. At the regional I got calls ranging from a captain asking if I could call ops to bring him his drink that he left in the crew room to having to explain to a fairly veteran captain how to read a TAF and that the weather would indeed be fine at the destination with no alternate needed.

As you progress in OJT you’ll be able to handle the normal calls with ease as you just get more practice and your confidence increases. You’ll still run in to those weird calls where you just can’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. There were some days I was the most senior guy on the floor and I still got a phone call every now and then that I had to go to my chief and ask for his advice.

My 2 cents worth -
1. Remembering what you read 5 minutes ago.
2. Look at your workload - you can save time by doing like flights at the same time, even if they depart a couple hours apart. Ex: You have DEN/IAD and DEN/BWI - 99.9% chance what works for the one will work for the other. Also know when your last flight arrives, that way you know how far to read a TAF

1)If you have a big time bank (I would always prep the releases, so when something unexpected comes, your ahead)
2)If there is weather at a destination, turn on the arrivals in your software of choice or look at flight aware.( to see what other aircraft are doing)
3) pick the brain if the seasoned dispatchers and take notes
4) if you really wanna get good, work the PM shift when it’s summer (especially in the regional world, you will Learn quick)
5) study your regulations or study your manual in your spare time

(Usually when your brand new in dispatch you feel lost , usually after 6-12 months is when you feel comfortable)

Back