Time for the yearly slide off LGA runway

Because they tried it or because they lied?

Reasonably sure either would get you canned at most airlines. As soon as your wheels leave the pavement or you get stuck, you shut it down and wait for a tug.

Sliding off a taxiway isn't a very big deal, it happens. Trying to fix it or lying about what happened is grounds for termination because of either having terrible decision making skills or lying about your terrible decision making skills.

Reasonably sure either would get you canned at most airlines. As soon as your wheels leave the pavement or you get stuck, you shut it down and wait for a tug.

Sliding off a taxiway isn't a very big deal, it happens. Trying to fix it or lying about what happened is grounds for termination because of either having terrible decision making skills or lying about your terrible decision making skills.

That's why the crew had Patroni do it in the movie. They gave it a college try after the tug wouldn't work....presumably approved to do so, then handed it to maintenance to let them deal with it. :)

:)

The 707 is "built to withstand anything, except a bad pilot". Don't know if that applies to the ERJ, though.

There aren't that many Patroni's left, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I like the image, because I'm a mechanic, but in 2017 the liability adverse and CYA culture hampers and punishes displaying that kind of behavior. The guys that are able to continue to do so assume and accept that risk, and they are so knowledgeable and experienced that they aren't often questioned, and when they are they're normally found to be correct in their assumption. I've been privileged to work with some and try to gain every bit of knowledge from them I can. And I have removed and reinstalled wings on jets. If any of you fly G-II's, III's, IV's, V's, or 550's you need to get to know Frank (I'm not going to post his last name or contact info) from Dallas when it comes time for an engine change.

(itself, demonstrating terrible decision skills)

Patroni was a college boy.

tve18199-19780301-1689.jpg

Back