Thyroid

saaschw

Hi doctor this one is about me. I just went to the doctor yesterday for my yearly check up and today i got some surprising results. On my blood test results the doctor said my thyroid was a little high. my TSH level was 4.51 and i think the normal level is until 4.5. however my T4 level he said was 7.4 which i believe is perfectly normal. He didn't say I had to take any medication (synthroid) and basically told me I don't have hypothyroidism. I currently hold a third class medical and planned on updating to a first class medical and going to the airlines. Does this change anything?

I also wanted to add that i did some research and when going through the list of symptons, found that I suffer from NONE of the syptoms listed there for hypothyroidism?!?!?! go figure. Any help anyone can give me would be great. Thanks.

Thank you so much doctor. Also is there anything I can do to lower my thyroid level (or keep it the same), because it realy is a bit high?

My understanding is that the blood test results from the lab will show what's considered an acceptable range for TSH levels. I did some research on the net and it sounds like there is some differing opinions on what "normal" is. My lab results stated the range was .5 to 5.0. My TSH was 5.5 Just slightly out of range. I also never had any symptoms but the numbers are the numbers. Based on my reading of the FAA med regulations, I felt compelled to ground myself and seek medication to put my TSH level into the normal range. (Synthroid does require a waiver/special issuance). Unfortunately, it took about 4 months and some prodding from my AME to get the paperwork approved. It's a simple waiver that many people have and should be no big deal. Bear in mind this is for a first class.

To the OP, I'd suggest you find out specifically what the limits that were on the blood test paperwork. If they are .05-5.0, like mine are, than you are within limits at 4.51. If you are outside the stated limits, then it's my opinion that you aren't qualified to hold a medical until you are within limits. That was my take after reading up on it and was also my AME's opinion and the opinion of our union's medical advisor. Perhaps there are some gray areas in the regs I'm not aware of. Not sure if your doctor was also your AME but I know my regular doctor knows nothing about FAA rules besides what I told her. She couldn't believe what a cluster was created by a slightly out of range TSH level and putting me on the minimal available dose of Synthroid.

I think the rise in my blood pressure dealing with the FAA was much worse to my health than being .5 outside the range on TSH level. But i digress.....

Huh... Well I have no clue why it took 4 months for your SI. My roommate simply walked into his AME's office handed him his lab and complete file including a note from his PCP that his level are all normal and within range and a phone call to the Faa regional office and he was on his way home with a medical in less than an hour.

How recent was this? I was assuming there was a backlog last summer after the FAA shut down for a time due to lack of funding.

If the documentation (medical records) are mailed in, it take 8 weeks or so. If the AME has all of the documentation, he can call either the Regional Flight Surgeon or Oklahoma City for a verbal authorization to issue a medical certificate when he does the medical exam.

Back