Thoughts on the future of regional airlines...

Contraction. Followed likely by expansion. Sorry to sound a bit sarcastic but this industry goes up and down all the time as the economy and customer demands ebb and flow.

For the next 2-5 years though I would speculate continued consolidation and contraction as 44-50 seaters seem to be going out of style.

bronco21016 said:
Contraction. Followed likely by expansion. Sorry to sound a bit sarcastic but this industry goes up and down all the time as the economy and customer demands ebb and flow.

For the next 2-5 years though I would speculate continued consolidation and contraction as 44-50 seaters seem to be going out of style.

I keep hearing that they are going downhill and wondered what those of you currently working at regionals think... Thanks for your thoughts.

There will always be a market for some regionals, but I think that their big growth spurt is over. People do like jet service to small cities; they are not so fond of the same jet service when it involves them flying on a smaller jet to a city that used to be served with mainline aircraft that were larger. And, the major airlines pilot unions seem to have pushed back to a degree, resisting the outsourcing of anything much larger than an E170 to a regional partner. However, I don't think regionals will go away completely or anything - and if there is any constant in the aviation industry, it is change. Reminds you not to get too complacent. I do find it curious that Southwest, one of the most successful carriers out there, chose never to "regionalize" its product with a contract carrier - I think because they wanted to keep all aspects of customer service in house (among other things.)

People do like jet service to small cities; they are not so fond of the same jet service when it involves them flying on a smaller jet to a city that used to be served with mainline aircraft that were larger.

I admit I am one of these. I miss DC-9 service to Lansing. That plane was cool. If it wasn't so weight-restricted, the Saab 340 would be fine too (people really hated that one).

Back