This is the guy who ditched a BE-55 in the Gulf of Mexico last month.

“We see a little bit of smoke, which typically is not a huge deal,’’ Wright said. “Usually a radio will smoke a little, you throw the electrical power off, (and) everything‘s fine.

Ahh, sorry pal.

Smoke is ALWAYS a big deal!

If you are OK with an aircraft that smokes from the instrument cluster every now and then, it doesn't surprise me that you wound up in an aircraft that caught fire.

hats off to those guys!

Who the heck shoots a video while waiting for rescue floating miles off shore?

35a13k3.png

Anybody know if they had a PLB? 3 hours seems like an awfully fast rescue.

See below

I activated my SPOT upon entering the water (I have carried one with my since they were first introduced). The yacht never saw us. We waved and waved until the disappeared. We bobbed around in the Gulf for nearly 3 hours. A CBP fixed wing aircraft was doing a search pattern for 30 minutes before the USCG helicopter showed up. They both flew right over the top of us many times and never spotted us. The USCG chopper flew right over us about 6 times before they spotted us.

So that gear malfunction and not getting into TEB last night he mentions on The Today Show....well, he is lucky to be alive. Three incidents in two years does not add up well.

35a13k3.png

Ever been in an emergency situation like that? They were pretty calm, they used the video as a way to kill time, to stay awake, motivated and why not to brag about it later on...

I crash-landed a plane in very bad weather, at times I really wish I had a camera back then..

Ever been in an emergency situation like that?
I did have a engine failure in a six once. Got plenty of warning as it burst into flames about 3 minutes before it quit. No time for a camera. Did learn 11'500 is too high when you're on fire. The plane was totaled before I landed.
They were pretty calm, they used the video as a way to kill time, to stay awake, motivated and why not to brag about it later on...
When they weren't shooting video I'll bet they were playing checkers on the ipad too. Me? I'd be looking for shark fins.

When they weren't shooting video I'll bet they were playing checkers on the ipad too. Me? I'd be looking for shark fins.

In fairness, I do have a US Army Survival Manual on my tablet, so maybe they do too, and were just about to craft a sailboat from their garments, deep sea fish for tuna, and process their urine into San Pellegrino.

It sounds strange that the USCG and the other plane couldn't spot them, but if it was sunset and you're looking for two people in wavy water about 1,000 above them, that can be hard.

It sounds strange that the USCG and the other plane couldn't spot them, but if it was sunset and you're looking for two people in wavy water about 1,000 above them, that can be hard.
It can be incredibly difficult to locate a person in the water...even if you know where to look for them...even on a flat calm day. Searing your eyeballs while looking for hours at a time is no fun. Fairly soon the observers can become myopic and drift into a daze of looking but not seeing. You don't really see the person as you detect something not right. Dye markers may make a diff but still the odds are low.

True story - I thought I was going to get shot a couple months ago so I texted so Kristie would know what went down.

Not necessarily directly but we're talking death under a speedy barrage of bullets aimed somewhat indiscriminately.

Ahh, West Africa.

I'll save that for "STORY TIME WITH UNCLE DERG"

Back