This is a good case study

typhoonpilot

By Lori Aratani
The Washington Post

The weather forecast was less than ideal for the Delta Air Lines flight that left Monday afternoon bound for John F. Kennedy International Airport from Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, but no one aboard could have imagined just how bad things would get.

According to multiple news reports and tweets from the passengers, the four-hour flight turned into a 30-hour nightmare — with two flight diversions caused by bad weather. At one point, the turbulence was so bad, one passenger told NBC that she thought the plane was going to break in half.

“I’ve never seen an airsick bag used before and many were,” said Lauren Karasek, another passenger aboard the flight.

Delta apologized.

In an email Wednesday, spokesman Michael Thomas confirmed the multiple diversions.

“Delta flight 944 from Punta Cana was unable to land at JFK due to runway conditions and inclement weather … The flight diverted to Manchester, New Hampshire, where it remained overnight to comply with mandated crew rest requirements. The flight redeparted for JFK the following day as Delta flight 9929 but diverted to Boston as a result of severe weather in New York. With improving conditions, the flight arrived at JFK before 8 p.m. EST Tuesday.”

Karasek said the flight left as scheduled, bound for New York with no indication that anything was amiss. Even as the flight circled the airport, passengers aboard were unconcerned. Looking out the window, passengers could see there was heavy cloud cover and snow. Then the captain spoke.

“He said that we were low on fuel and had to land in 10 minutes or we needed to be diverted,” Karasek, 30, recalled.

So diverted they were — to Manchester, which would have been all well and good — except that the airport isn’t equipped to handle international travel so there were no Customs officials to process the 160 or so passengers. (Delta officials told PIX 11 TV that agents were brought in from Portland, Maine, 95 miles away).

There were more problems. Because of heavy snow and cold, the plane had to be de-iced. And, because the flight had taken so long, there was a risk that the crew members would “time-out,” meaning they’d reached the maximum amount of time they could fly.

The “time-out” window was missed. Karasek said passengers resigned themselves to spending the night in Manchester. Efforts to get passengers off the plane also ran into trouble. The first set of stairs ground crews rolled up to the plane didn’t fit. A second set of stairs had to be brought in.

But this would not be the end, either.

No such luck. When Karasek and her friends arrived at the terminal, there was no one from Delta to meet them, only an airport security guard who’d radioed Delta that people were waiting.

So she and her friends struck out on their own, found a hotel and settled in for the night. About 1 a.m. they received an email from Delta, apologizing for the problems and offering them 12,500 SkyMiles. They heard nothing more until they called at 8 a.m. and were told their flight would be leaving at 11 a.m.

The plane left Manchester and made two attempts to land at JFK in what Karasek was later told were 60 mph winds. People were being tossed around the plane, she said. Airsick bags were deployed. Several people requested oxygen, which was offered using portable tanks.

Karasek is keeping it all in perspective. “Yes, this sucks, but there are plenty of other travesties in the world; let’s just take a minute to remember that,” she said.

And while Karasek praised the flight crew as more than gracious given the circumstances, she’s less pleased with Delta’s customer service. Between the hotel and train tickets, she estimates she and her friends spent roughly $650. Her efforts to reach Delta via Twitter about possible reimbursement were not so successful. Wednesday afternoon, airline representatives told her she would not be eligible for reimbursement.

Thomas, the Delta spokesman, confirmed the offer of 12,500 SkyMiles, adding that those who don’t have frequent-flier accounts with the airline were offered vouchers, but he could not say for how much. He also said the airline would evaluate other situations like Karasek’s.

The key is the bolded part. Did the captain consider the possibility of getting stuck in Manchester without readily available Customs for the passengers? Why not go to a larger airport with Customs? What were their options?

This is a situation I have seen over and over again elsewhere. When a major international airport closes your first choice alternate options can rapidly evaporate as they either fill up or perhaps also get affected by the same weather event.

Do you as the captain start talking to operations fairly early in the process to ascertain what the options are and where you might get sent to? Do you consider the make up of the passengers and what their Customs requirements might be?

Discuss

Last edited:
Agreed partly sounds like the dispatchers fault. When I'm dispatching a flight to an airport that is at best marginal, I always have a back up plan. Then another back up plan, and possibly a third back up plan. Many times I'll call stations an hour before flight even departs just to ensure they can handle this equipment and fuelers will be there, just in case.

Then again for all I know the PIC made the call on MHT (which is something else I've seen more than once).

There is no way to know if the CA asked the dispatcher important questions or if you even discussed it with the dispatcher. A few weeks ago I was part of a crew that had SOC try to send us on a international flight to an airport with no customs and no ground handler good thing for us the CA started asking questions.

Sometimes the back up craps out. A few weeks ago I was going to DTW. CLE was our alternate. CLE closed due to snow. Then we were given holding and told DTW closed. I looked at LAN as an alternate. Then it closed. I was looking at another alternate when DTW opened and I was number 1. 30 knot cross wind, MU greater than 40 (up there in aviation lies with "a fresh annual"), 200-1/2. Landing on 4R I made the turn off at Y7. I guess towers did not believe a lowly CRJ pilot reporting braking action as "less than good" so an A320 landed after us. And reported braking as nil. DTW closed.
So stuff happens. No one died.

MHT has customs, while they are less then ideal its better than nothing. I've personally diverted in there before from an international destination, and we were talking with dispatch about the need for customs If we went over the 2 hours requited by the passenger bill of rights. It was a cluster to say the least but we, were able to make it out and down to EWR under the 2hr of ground time limit by about 10 min.

Actually it's good, fair, poor, nil. So I can see the tower controller construing "less than good" as a report of fair.

Quote from my FOM "The FAA is transitioning to the term, 'medium' for this condition. Eventually, the term 'fair' will be eliminated." Interestingly enough that page was last modified in 2010 so it's easy to see how slow the FAA is in updating to proper modern terminology.

Agreed partly sounds like the dispatchers fault. When I'm dispatching a flight to an airport that is at best marginal, I always have a back up plan. Then another back up plan, and possibly a third back up plan. Many times I'll call stations an hour before flight even departs just to ensure they can handle this equipment and fuelers will be there, just in case.

Then again for all I know the PIC made the call on MHT (which is something else I've seen more than once).
I appreciate that.

- a guy who has been released to an alternate station that cannot park or fuel us

Autothrust Blue said:
I appreciate that. - a guy who has been released to an alternate station that cannot park or fuel us

"We just went missed at SFO. Are you CERTAIN you want us to go to OAK? I prefer SJC."
"Proceed to SJC. I forgot you're an AA flight and not DL."

Did you guys end up going to that station?

"We just went missed at SFO. Are you CERTAIN you want us to go to OAK? I prefer SJC."
"Proceed to SJC. I forgot you're an AA flight and not DL."

Did you guys end up going to that station?
Diverting to OAK if you can't get into SFO is not technically illegal (assuming it's in your C70 as an alternate for that AC type) it just may not be smart. SJC is close enough that I've never had to list OAK, but I've definitely listed BFI for SEA on a weight restricted flight with when diversion seemed unlikely. Why bump the extra payload or burn the extra fuel if you don't have to?

One problem with everyone diverting is every plane diverting to the same small outstation. Going to ORD, its +SN as we make our way there. I'm high mins captain. It's my FO's third flight off IOE. Our alternate is MSN, but in talking with dispatch over ACARS, he doesn't want us to go to MSN anymore as every other diversion has gone there too, and we'd sit for hours without a gate. By now the vis was up to 1 SM, -SN so I was legal to attempt an approach. But it was also a 30 kt crosswind. Dispatch said we should go to ATW if we went missed, but I didn't really like the the fuel situation to go all the way there. MKE was not an option. In the end, we bailed early for CVG, where my pax could get off and get a bite and make other arrangements if they so chose. It was one of those times where I really wished I could have a nice keyboard on the CRJJJJ.

Back