thinking Avion at sfb

ramtony

can someone tell me if they have any experiance with avion academy in sfb?, I was quoted 41k usd for the pro pilot, from zero to hero. thanks

I know a couple people who did some training at Avion and I never heard any complaints from them. Didn't hear any great praise, either. Fleet is older, but always looked to be in good shape.

As for the 41k price tag, I took a quick look at their website: http://www.avionairacademy.com/home.htm , and advise you take that number with a grain of salt (or bag thereof). That price is expecting you to get through the program in 195 hours, which is doable, but doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room. Of more concern is that the price does not include your flight instructor ratings, which will cost you another 14.7k. Realistically, you're looking at around 60k to get the full program.

Theoretically, you might be able to pick up a survey job or somesuch with just your commercial ratings and 200 hours, but that was borderline even before the current downturn. Now with regionals cutting back, furloughing and/or going out of business, you'll really need some serious time-building or, preferably, your instructor certs to get your feet wet in the business.

can someone tell me if they have any experiance with avion academy in sfb?, I was quoted 41k usd for the pro pilot, from zero to hero. thanks
I never went to Avion as a student but rented from them while I was a student at DCA. At that time, they had a really good staff and nice planes with decent rental prices. Most of the students were ex-DCA students who got fed up with DCA.
May I ask why your so set on flight training in the Orlando area? There are planty of decent schools in the VA tidewater area.

I'm leaving active duty, and I have a house here. the plan is to rent my house and go down to my parents and save the rent money.

I know about the schools here in hampton roads, I got my PPL from Mercury Flight Center, I had Two good instructors no complaints. But they are not part 141 and not va aproved.

The aero club in langley AFB is 45 min away and with the tunnel traffic it sometimes could be 1.5 to 2 hours of driving. also there's numeros things that the air force requiers you to do every month in order for you to stay current. it's nice to be flying in a cessna next to an f-22 but i dont have the time to make all the safety mettings and all the other little things that you have to do to stay current.

It's been 8 years here in the area I'm just ready for a change.....

I'm leaving active duty, and I have a house here. the plan is to rent my house and go down to my parents and save the rent money.

I know about the schools here in hampton roads, I got my PPL from Mercury Flight Center, I had Two good instructors no complaints. But they are not part 141 and not va aproved.

The aero club in langley AFB is 45 min away and with the tunnel traffic it sometimes could be 1.5 to 2 hours of driving. also there's numeros things that the air force requiers you to do every month in order for you to stay current. it's nice to be flying in a cessna next to an f-22 but i dont have the time to make all the safety mettings and all the other little things that you have to do to stay current.

It's been 8 years here in the area I'm just ready for a change.....
Ah yes the tunnel traffic!:banghead: Spent many hours in that, trying to escape the Navy and regain my sanity for what little time I could get. Good luck with your search.

I've been by there a few times lately. They seem to run a simple but professional operation. The new chief pilot "Marc" seems to be highly professional and very friendly. Its almost a family atmosphere. I think you'll be treated well and respected as a customer there. The training will be what you make of it.

Back