Think twice before working for this Banner Tow Company

dcramer16

Summer is here, and there are a lot of pilots out there looking for work. I wanted to share my experiences in hopes that I might prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

For reference to my bold accusations I site two different websites where others have had the same experiences.

http://www.freewebs.com/stop-aerialmessages/

http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchr...archtype=0&submit2=Search!&q5=aerial+messages

Sometimes when you have low time the search for a job is exhausting, and you may feel like jumping at the first oportunity out there. I know I did. Be careful. One job opportunity for low time pilots is banner towing. I am not at all against this line of work but there is one company in particular that you need to be wary of, Aerial Messages in Daytona Beach Florida. Rather than re-type everything I will copy and paste the same information I posted on www.ripoffreport.com.
You can view this page at: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/249/RipOff0249283.htm
I worked for Tim Pacini and Aerial Messages in Daytona Beach Florida. I went there in February because Tim told me I would be flying 'at least' 100 hours a month. I spent a lot of money on a UHaul moving my family all the way from the west coast to Florida. In the last 3 months I have flown 10 hours. I got the ten hours because I paid $2500 for banner tow training to get my endorsement. This is a scam, there is no such thing as a banner tow endorsement. All the company has to do is train you and put you on their company waiver.

Tim owns a generator sales and repair business. He asked me when he hired me if I wouldn't mind working a few hours in his shop helping the mechanics repair, build and install generators to 'supplement' my income. I told him sure, I don't mind hard work. Since February that is all I have been doing. Oh, and his Dad brought in his boat the other day and Tim had me sand the interior, it took me a week to work on. He also had me in a yard the other day digging holes and planting trees. If I'm really lucky, I get to mow his lawn. No flying at all, just working for $6/hour changing oil filters, getting greasy, doing b!tch work at the shop. Everytime I would talk to him, he would always say, 'Yep, have a lot of banners to be flown coming up.' I heard this for 3 months. He also ripped me off on my paychecks and still owes me $275, which I will never see.

He was basically using me for cheap labor in his generator/sweat shop. Before you go here, check out anyother place you can. Working drive through in McDonalds is better than working here. Luckily I got a great job flying pipeline that pays great, and I don't get yanked around, and get 30+ hours a week. Go anywhere before you go here. I don't care if it's bagging groceries! You will be sorry.

We had a guy come from Kansas to do the training and was planning on moving down in May. He called me the other day and said he could tell from when he was down there that something wasn't right, and wanted to check with me before he moved down to make sure I was flying. Luckily he called me because I lost his number, and I saved him from this dead end job. He will be looking for something else, and he could see this job was a rip off from only being down there a few days.

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

END RIPOFFREPORT

I am posting this information because there are a lot of new graduates of flight schools that are looking for summer work right now. I don't want to see the same thing happen to them and am desperately trying to get the word out. I am also going to copy and paste an e-mail correspondance between me and Tim in hopes that this might give a little more information as well. I sent him a link to ripoffreport.com and this was his reply:

It is a shame you feel that way, we flew our asses off last
weekend, and hired Jessy to take your place. He did a great job and is going to log a ton of hours. I told you to wait until memorial day. I thought I was doing you a favor letting you work in the shop, I pretty much made up work for you to do.

I do not care, I sold the planes and the business and buying a house in the bahamas.

stay tan,
Tim

This was my reply:

Pardon my delay in responding to your very entertaining e-mail. Due to the nature of our conversation I did not think it necessary at that present moment to waste time in finding the words that would best express my feelings.

You thought you were doing me a favor by letting me be your grease monkey b!tch in your sweat shop garage making darn near minimum wage! I could have made more at McDonalds and worked half as hard. YOU HIRED ME AS A PILOT. Before I decided to move all the way across country I asked you several times in our conversations wether I would actually be flying 100+ hours a month. Your answer was yes. You said nothing about Memorial Day weekend until after spring break.

All I heard was "Oh, wait till Bike Week" How many banners flew then? One, two? It wasn't many.

Then it was "Oh, wait till Spring Break" How many banners Tim? One?

Then I heard "Yep, it's about to get busy in the next week or so" Then 3 weeks would go by with nothing. Then, and only then did I hear "Oh, wait till after Memorial Day Weekend"

(I had designed a brochure to hand out to businesses to try and get some work in)
You liked the brochures I designed and without even telling me Carla (Tims wife) already had some made up, and told me if I would pay to get them printed you would pay me back. I spent $300, and when the time came for getting paid back and you and Carla played "Good Cop, Bad Cop" and I didn't get paid.

You told me you would pay me to hand them out on top of commission. I spent all day handing them out door to door for two weeks. At $6/hr, 8 hour days I should have gotten paid at least $400 for that. When payday rolled around Carla played dumb and said she heard that I was only getting the commission on it. Then Dan with the Go-Cart business made you a deal where he paid $750 in cash and gave freebies for the rest. I didn't see my $75 commision.

Shall I even get into the phoney FAA endorsement for the banner tow endoresement you charge everyone $2500 for? I checked with the FSDO and they even told me it was a fraud, and all you had to do is give us training and put us on your waiver. Training that should be free as we are employees. I got that answer right from the FAA's mouth so don't think you can decieve me by saying otherwise. I have been doing pipeline patrol and flown 180 hours in the last 5 weeks. About 120 of that was training. Thank God I don't have to pay for training for every job I work at. This last one would have cost me a bundle, but thankfully I finally got in with some good decent people.

So far we're up to $3275 I got screwed on. Who did who a favor? I did you a favor just by not taking your sorry butt to court. But after reading all the newspaper stories about how you have lost this very same fight so many times, and skipped out on your bill, I could see no sense in paying attorney fees just to have you skip out on what you owe me. I know I would have won, just like so many others before me, and if I would have thought for a second you would actually pay up it would probably be a lawyer that was sending you an e-mail instead of me. So don't tell everyone 911 is what hurt you. It didn't hurt anyone else to the degree you're talking about. Instead, why not tell the truth and tell everyone you are a fraudulant ripoff and your legal fees are what is eating up all your money.

I thank God that Kurt got ahold of me before moving down there. Even in the couple days he was there, he could see something wasn't right. Does the name Todd ***** (censored) ring a bell? I haven't found him yet, but I will and I'm sure he and the other pilots that took you to court and won would be interested to hear you sold your business and bought a house in the Bahamas.

So back to the point, if you thought you were doing me a favor you're either intentionally lying, which would be natural to you by now, or you are so far in denial that only psychiatric therapy would help you now.
END EMAIL

Sorry, I know this is a lengthy post. I just want to get the word out there about this company. I know school just got out and there are a lot of new pilots looking to start their career. I know there are many out there that are like I was, and will jump at the first thing they can get. I know it seems like something will never come along, but this company is below nothing. It is not a pilot job, it is a scam for money. I wish you all the best of luck in finding a job that you are happy with. Be patient, research companys you plan on working for, and something will come along. Keep the faith brother! LOL

Daniel Cramer
(406)925-1452

You're going to regret that, Daniel.

Muah ha ha ha ha ha.

Naw, my phone automatically doesn't accept calls from Private numbers or Unavailable. So if someone wants to prank call me it has to show up on my caller ID, then I can prank them back...Muah ha ha ha ha ha...lol If someone wants to call me regarding this company then it is well worth it to get the word out and help someone.

I appreciate the post, because we have all had our fair share of bad aviation experiences, but IMHO I don't think the site was built on identifying bad places to work for.

It IS about educating, but there may be liability issues for Doug & libel when companies names are named.

-2 pts for posting a "job available" that wasn't actually an available job.

I was looking into this when I was in Orlando doing training. I heard from several sources to stay FAR away. Generally, when ANY company wants you to pay for some sort of training, check out or endorsement, run away. Personally, I wouldn't even instruct at a school that wanted me to rent an airplane to get checked out, and there are plenty of those around.

Yeah, living in Daytona for a while, I heard nothing good about this guy. Sorry for your bad experience, but congrats on the new pipeline job! :)

-A-

Yeah, living in Daytona for a while, I heard nothing good about this guy. Sorry for your bad experience, but congrats on the new pipeline job! :)

-A-

Thanks. How do you like Daytona? That was the dirtiest darn town I ever lived in. Prostitutes on every corner, bums in the alley, and drugs everywhere. I was glad to leave.

I flew 10 hours in 3 months in Florida when I was with his company. When I started here a this pipeline job 5 weeks ago I had 460 hours, I now have 630, and it's all solo pic time in a 172. I know it's not jet time with the regionals, but it's a fun job, you get great experience cause all the flying we do is mostly just above the powerlines (we have an faa waiver allowing us to fly low to find leaks). The people are great, and I make what FO's at the regionals are making. They aren't looking for pilots right now, but in the future they may. So if you have at least 450 hours pm me and I'll give the contact information.

Daytona, FL? Seemed like an average beach town when I lived in central Florida, nothing too bad but parking.

Daytona, FL? Seemed like an average beach town when I lived in central Florida, nothing too bad but parking.

Thats where everyone goes on vacation and spring break so you think it would be clean, but if you live there and have to travel down Ridgewood Ave to work, mainly around Madison Ave, you'll see what I'm talking about. Atlantic, where all the tourists go, is clean, but Ridgewood is a real hole. I lived right off Ridgewood, a couple miles down from Madison, but had to drive it to work, and there are a lot of scuzzy people around!

DAB has actually cleaned up since I was there in 90-94. It's just a normal beach town, as Dough said. And, yes, this company (not sure if it's the same guy or not) has been doing this forever. Sorry you found out the hard way!! I thought everybody knew to avoid jobs in FL, especially low-timer jobs outside of freight!!:eek:

N. Scottsdale is beautiful, but my oh my do we have our massage parlors and strip clubs in S. Scottsdale!

Doesn't necessarily mean that Scottsdale is a bad place. Especially if you need a back rub or a "can a brother getta" table dance! :) :sarcasm:.

I had a friend go down to Florida for a very similar sounding job. I think it was the same guy. My freind got 1/2 of his money back but this guy should be put out of business :banghead:

They ripped me off for $1500 back in 2003. STAY AWAY!!!!!! (the only reason it wasn't 2500 is that I was able to stop payment on a check before it could be paid out)

What's the old saying... "I wouldn't pi$$ on him if he were on fire."

A hard aviation lesson was learned for me that day.

Rich

another reason to get your CFI, instruct at a place like Riddle, and move on to bigger and better things

another reason to get your CFI, instruct at a place like Riddle, and move on to bigger and better things

Instructing isn't for everyone, that why there's other options. I get so tired of people putting pressure on new pilots to become CFI's as if it's the only way to get your hours. Thats why there are some #####ty instuctors out there. Because instructing isn't for them, but they do it anyways cause all they hear is "It's really the only way, tough it out, and build your hours". There are too many intructors out there that care only about building time, and I for one wasn't going to be one of them. Then for some reason, the people who know better than to instruct when they know it's not what they are good at are looked down upon. I still believe that it's better to get out there and start flying the plane and building your experience than sitting next to someone watching them do steep turns all day. I'm not knocking instructors, and there are some great ones out there, I was fortunate enough to have one of them. But I do think it would help if the time requirements were higher so you don't get fresh graduates screwing over students just to build time.

Let me add to that, just incase someone misunderstands me and thinks I'm bashing instructing.

If you're good at instructing, great! Instructing is a great way to start your career (not just build time). If your not good at instructing, don't do it. Find something else, and let the students be taught by someone who can teach. There is no shame in not being a good "teacher". There is also no shame in not being an instructor.

I still believe that it's better to get out there and start flying the plane and building your experience than sitting next to someone watching them do steep turns all day.

I don't think I've ever heard an actual instructor say something like this. It's always the ones that don't or haven't instructed and have no clue what the job is about.

Back