They say you haven’t had a career in aviation til..... part dos/deux

mattc206

The last photo I posted was the picture after my 767 checkride back in March. I usually don’t post anything til after my line check. A weird tradition and superstition of mine, WELL, let me tell y’all something.

They say you haven’t had a true career in aviation til your laid off, your company has gone bankrupt, your company has merged with another, or your flying has been whipsawed to another company.

For myself and some colleagues this last year we saw our regional flying whipsawed to another company but some of us were fortunate enough to land a job at mainline. Myself included, til “unprecedented events” happened and the company decided to retire 3 fleet types which equates to about 79 tails - the 767 included which I flew and now, not unsurprisingly - I received my lay off notice in the last 24 hours - effective early July with an unknown recall date.

What’s next for me? With an unknown recall date, I don’t know the answer myself. Some of the factors that would influence my decision whether to stay in Canada or come back stateside - are out of my hands and only time and circumstance will choose the answer to this question.

Hopefully soon we will all be back to normalcy, precented times and on layovers on beaches having some tacos, jarritos, margaritas and a corona- hold the virus haha and posting #ThoughtsFromTheTracks and #FeelingsFromTheFlightLevels

I have to admit to y’all, I REALLY struggled to find a trademark profound quote or #LifeLessonsWithMatt with y’all in this situation but I leave y’all with:

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.”
― Haruki Murakami”

You never can tell whether bad luck may not after all turn out to be good luck. -Winston Churchill

With the current events-it reaches us all, both aviation and non aviation, regional or major. Charter or Medevac. Instructor or student. Ops or atc. We are all in this together, So that being said, as I’ve always said, my messages are ALWAYS open to y’all. To chat. To vent. To listen or to host zoom virtual happy hours. We all in this together my great JC friends and I thank you for reading this far And of course thanks to Doug for creating this community, it has helped so many of us in our careers. .
804435F5-08BC-4C39-B9E9-6260F885343D.jpeg

sorry bro, best of luck, hopefully this turns around sooner than later. As someone who spent a lot of time in Canada in my previous job and love the people and culture...let us know what we can do to help!

I wish I had something profound to say. I like the quotes you mention and especially your life lessons bit.

I am sure most of us have had pitfalls in this business and most of us see things differently after we get through the tough going.

Sorry the road is getting more bumpy for you. At where I work we are facing a RIF, and we don't know who is getting shown the door, or when notices will be issued.

Hope you find something that works out!

Back