The “Umbrella”

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
This is going to be free-form. It might not make sense, will be far more about my selfish emotional needs, maybe you’ll get something out of it, maybe you won’t.

Anyway, I’ve been at SouthernJets since 1998. There are people I loved to fly with, people that I sculpted my leadership skills (or lack thereof) from, people I’ve come to depend on when I have conundrums or even simply run into at the layover hotel, share some old stories and help me feel progress through my career. You know, the people that keep you grounded but cognizant of your career growth. The type of people that you won’t see for ten years, but when you do, it’s like you just flew “yesterday” — or the “Hey man, I did something stupid, this is what the situation was, this is how I handled it, my copilot hates my guts (I think) but I didn’t see any other alternative” that can talk you off the ledge.

As the years go by, there’s been a gradual outflow of these people because of retirements. After SouthernJets offered the “Early Out”, literally 99% of them, save a few, took advantage of it.

And that’s good because circumstance presented them with a great opportunity in a time of grief and rebuilding an industry after turmoil isn’t the funnest thing. I’ve already done it twice and looking at #3 isn’t the most “savory” prospect.

I guess what I’m trying to say is cherish your mentors. Value the people you look up to because one day, they might all (or in my case, nearly all) be gone in the blink of an eye. They will live on, professionally... attitudinally, through you, but still... it really sucks watching your heroes hang it up. A guy who taught me how to properly walk a picket line, another who was the captain during my first engine failure, a guy who had a landing gear failure on an MD-90 that “made everything ok”, pilots who pushed me to do more because they saw potential, a pilot that took me under her wing and mentored me in learning how to do my ”side job” with the airline when the opportunity bestowed itself upon me and I said “there is NO way I can do this”, one that impressed upon me that I need to be more confident with myself because I had issues with never quite feeling that I truly belonged (and sometimes still do), the captain I made fast friends with that we’d make him a home cooked meal, head to the layover hotel and make sure he had at least a family dinner during a PHX layover.

I could tell stories for days, and I will, but perhaps over beers otherwise I’ll type a terabyte of ASCII.

Hope that made sense. Even if it didn’t, it was pure catharsis for me to write. “Thanks” if you got this far. There’s way more but I need to refill my cocktail.

I'm not an airline dude Derg, as you know, but I understand what you are saying. One of the hardest things for me personally was watching a leader I trusted (still do), respected (still do), and who helped me more than I ever deserved (still don't), fall pretty hard. He was my skipper, but made a point to fly with me just about every time he flew, him being a backseater by trade. We meshed well as a crew, and always had a good time flying together. Was always a sigh of relief to see myself flying with him, rather than the usual FNG. Didn't mind them from a training opportunity standpoint, but at month 7 of a deployment of unknowable length, it was also nice to just chill for a flight and know the other guy is doing his or her 50% and not sucking SA or whatever else. Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that the heroes don't always go away like you would want them to. But they left their mark. We remember, and their 30+ years of contributions aren't going to waste. They live on in the rest of us who were fortunate enough to learn from them.

The cycle continues. It’s a bitter sweet feeling. I’ve felt it some in my own life along this journey, and I still have quite a long ways to go. What always gets me is talking with a former student or an FO and they say “yeah it really stuck with me when you said/did XYZ,” I think to myself “did I really say/do that?” amazed that I could be someone that people look up to. As many times as that’s happened I still look up to people, and it’s difficult when people I look up to are no longer there. It’s one of the most beautiful bitter sweet parts of this industry though. Thanks for sharing @Derg. You are someone a lot of people look up to. It’s thanks to this community I have made a few really good friends along the way.

Last edited:
Just signed a retirement poster in the office. I havent been here long but that was one guy i looked up to as a good guy to have over the atlantic 600 miles from anything and one of your pax in the back is going crazy because a combination of zanex, molly, and heroin convinced him ants were under his skin.

Real ants man. Theyre there. Real ants man. Theyre under my skin. .... Ants!

I’ve gone through the same thing, with the exception that they aren’t al leaving on the same day. All those guys that made you the competent, compassionate leader/professional that you are end up leaving way before you want/think you need them to.

“Well who the hell is in charge of keeping this place awesome and proficient and professional?”

“...It’s you.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im all ears. Sitting on another conf call <yawn>. Always enjoy reading your free flow....

It's a bit more jarring when it happens all at once; but those people aren't dead and are still there for you, in perhaps a less prominent role. No one thinks they're ready to have the torch passed to them, but it usually works out just fine.

Very true Derg. You don’t realize all the “those were the good days” experiences until they’re gone and people start asking you the questions you used to ask.

One day you wake up to realize “oh s4!t, looks like I’m the ‘old man’”.

It’s like that awkward transition from 24 to 27, when you realized your not a kid anymore and you’re like “when the heck did that happen?”

The guy that wrote the “Copilot X” stories nailed it on the head. One day your eating at Waffle House at 3am because you spent the night drinking, and it seems like the next day you were driving past Waffle House at 3am because you were going to work.”

It happens quick.

And, hilariously, they think they’re never going to be the old guy in the room either. I’ve got news for them! :)

Back