The student perspective

BE90_Driver

Many have asked what kind of experience that TAB may provide. ERFly posted a very good summation on the TAB experience under the "too good to be" thread I believe. I know who ERFly is. I believe that he will make an excellent F/O on the Saab for Colgan and I wish him well in that endeavor.

The truth is the training side, i.e. the ground instruction, the 121 Indoc class, CRM. All of it was some of the best training I've ever had. For the initial ground we had a furloughed DAL FE who knew his stuff. Although he's no longer with program, I really learned alot from him. My CRM was taught to me by a 40 year vet who flew for Pan Am and my 121 was taught to me by a UAL pilot who was very involved in the pilot's union. The point is, that there is a wealth of experience to be had.

Unfortunately, the program also has WAY too many problems. Mostly due to the piss poor management of the company. Here's the most recent example. Several of my former peers there were grounded so that their (TAB EXPRESS AIRLINES) 1900 ground school could be completed. First of all it was for their start up airline and second I believe it's wrong to penalize (ground) those who have no intentions of investing or flying for your company; especially since many of them have been there at least a year; which makes it before their idea to start an airline. What makes thier side project any more important than students still enrolled in the older curriculum trying to get out? They shut the primary training for a week to cater to a select few.

I feel that TAB was worth the turbine time and LOFT flights as well. But the management needs a major overhaul. As far as what to expect upon completion. Bills for overages which are supposed to be covered, stated in my contract at least, yet I still got billed money for an "all inclusive" program. Also no solid job options. Yes Colgan at 500 as well as American Eagle; but as of this posting TAB has not placed anyone with Eagle. I have nothing against Colgan either. I know several people flying for them now who are happy; but Chuck Colgan et al. can't seem to make up their minds about PFT. As for Mitch Mitchelson, he would rather have you spend money for their airline which equates to this, 25,000 for 250 hours 1900 time. That's what they offered me when I finished. No thanks.
If it sounds like I'm bitter it's because I am. I feel like I got raked over the coals and that TAB did not deliever a product it advertised. I tried to be diplomatic but it seems that when you try to look out for your money, your investment it only makes it worse.

Please understand this is my opinion of my experience. I encourage those interested to visit DeLand and speak to other students, away from Steve or Al and "refered" students after the tour to get a true sense of TAB. Despite the negative's I ranted about I still believe I came away with some solid training despite the b/s of the management. Oh well, at least when I finally achieve my goal of flying the the line this type of stuff will be old hat for me!

BE90 driver

BE_90, what is the "pilot training academy"? it appears to be a seperate flight school from tab but they have the same address?? and their website looks like tabs old one. if you don't know what i'm talking about the website is www.ptaflorida.com. i noticed they list one of tabs king air's as their own. are there two schools operating out of that building now?

Yeah, that is kinda confusing. Clearly the Pilot Training Academy website ( http://www.ptaflorida.com ) is what used to be Tab Express' Pilot Training site (now http://www.tabexpress.com/pilottrain.htm ), back when I was naive and thinking "Wow, that looks like a really good deal!"

confused.gif

Say, I just realized both TAB Express and Regional Airline Academy are located in DeLand, FL, both have aircraft decked out in red/white/blue color schemes, both train in Pipers, both are seemingly PFT operations for Colgan Air (well, one after flying for Tab), and both require their students to play dress-up in silly pilot uniforms! ... Coincidence? I think not!
grin.gif

i was thinking that maybe tab renamed the ab-initio protion of their program but the airplanes aren't the same as tabs singles or twins. plus there is no mention of tab on the website at all. i'm guessing maybe there are a few people trying to start a flight school and are temporarily using tabs building or just getting their mail there or something. maybe friends of the owner.

In regards to your questions:

1. I honestly do not know what PTA is. However their website looks suspiciously like the old TAB Express website. Perhaps it is the company of one of the former chief pilots. He left TAB to pursue his own business (CAE Avaition) and was supposed to take over the primary training aspects for TAB so they could focus on the King Air training and airline. But again, I'm not sure who they really are.

2. As far as operating out of one building yes and no. The money stays put at DeLand Aviation I would imagine. But you would have to fly out of the alternate facility down the ramp, I believe closer to RAA and Skydive DeLand. As I mentioned, when I completed the program there was talk of having all of our primary instructors teach at our former chief pilot's company. Again, the logic being that TAB could focus on the turbine time, etc. and crank students out more efficiently instead of the current, and bogged down system they have now. I must point out that you were still going to be a TAB student, had to wear a TAB uniform and still answered to Mitch et al. despite completing your ratings through someone else's company. Again this is based on the assumption that PTA and CAE Aviation are the same company. But I am not sure if they are or not.

3. As for 737 aviator. He's correct. It's the same old website converted for this PTA company. As for the other remarks. I did not mind wearing a uniform. And it sure as hell was not "play dress-up in silly pilot uniforms." But he is intitled to his opinion. I respect that even though I do not agree with his last comment, whether it was in jest or not. I worked hard to achieve my goals and ratings just like every other aviator out there.

4. As for the DC-3 who knows what that's all about. Of the cargo drivers I know, it's tough to get on with a company who operates them as they require high minimums, or so I am told anyway.

I hope that this is somewhat helpful and I am sorry for not getting back to you all sooner.

BE90,

You're absolutely right, that was inappropriate of me. I apologize if I came off as being rude, which I was. It was meant in jest. I will say that I'm not a big advocate of the idea of wearing uniforms as a student: I feel it's something that ought to be earned once you've achieved a position as a professional pilot. Personally, it doesn't seem logical to be wearing uniforms in Cessna trainers. Nonetheless, you obviously have no choice in the matter. If I were attending a good school that had that policy, that certainly wouldn't be a deterrent. I can understand that they really want to create an atmosphere of professionalism, and use it as a means of aiding in a student's discipline. I'm sure it's encouraging for a lot of students to add stripes to their epaulets as they attain more certificates and ratings.

Again, totally my bad, and good luck to you.

thanks for the info BE90. i familiar with (CAE) and Aeilion(sp)? not sure how to spell his name. what you said makes perfect sense. i'd be willing to bet tab is contracting out there ab-initio to Aeilions' company who probably changed there name. when he first started that it was intended to be a time building program for foreign students.

I'm a relatively new student here at TAB and I AGREE with BE_90 on the problems with management. Even though I knew that the VP of OPs started 3 simulator companies It bothers me on why 3 companies he started and left(?). No one can give me a straight answer on what happened to them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The training department is under going a major overhaul (who knows if it for the good or not). But time will tell, it kinda sounds like a good thing or maybe a wolf in sheep's clothing.
All of the Training Captains are very experienced knowledge regular people. I kinda expected the miltary style hard nose instructors when I came in. And so far my training has been very rewarding as little I have flown due to Florida's notorious summer weather. Other than that I have no complaints with the training captains themselves, they are all reasonable people and understand the frustrations of learning an aircraft as powerful and complex as a kingair.

The airline is just waiting for the FAA to stop acting like a government agency and do some work. That was my only real concern about attending TAB was the outlook for a job when I graduated. Since TAB just gives you a CMEL you really have to be top notch to find a job with 250 hours. Even though most of that is turbine, it's still low time. Hopefully the airline will be up and running by the time I finish the program. If it isn't I can go back to my first job and be miserable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/insane.gif
Well, at least my old job paid well enough that if I needed to, I could rent something for time building

And if you can try and come to florida on DCA's free airfare and stop over in deland (it's 30 mintues away from DCA) and compare the two. I met a guy who did just that, arranged the flight home so he could spend the afternoon here at TAB. OF course each school will dis the other but, keep an open mind.

Howdy I_wanna_Be_ATP, Welcome to Jetcareers!

You only get a CMEL, thats not that great. If you want to build time as you said you did, why not get your Flight Instructor ratings and Flight Instruct like most of the other pilots in this world, instead of trying to find some shortcut. You must be Made of money or something! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Back to the student's perspective. If anyone has gone through or is enrolled in the New Program where you do not have to be a flight instructor (PFT) please PM me or post. The program is regarding... Fly for TAB Express for four years and have the cost of your flight training REFUNDED! (I am not sure what the exact program is called.)

[ QUOTE ]
(PFT)

[/ QUOTE ]

PFT is the devil and if you do it you are likely to be treated like a scab for a long long time!

Back