The Streak is Over: ASA offers Voluntary Furloughs

Trip7

The F word hits ASA for the first time in its history. Effective immediately, no recalls expected until Jan 2010. Hopefully involuntary furloughs do not follow.

lol. . .yeah - no one saw this coming right?

The real hammer hasn't fallen yet, and I'm not speaking anything else as it's really best to keep this type of information and more importantly the speculation out of the public realm.

lol. . .yeah - no one saw this coming right?

The real hammer hasn't fallen yet, and I'm not speaking anything else as it's really best to keep this type of information and more importantly the speculation out of the public realm.

Well, YOU'RE no fun. :)

How much are your reserves flying? I'm just trying to get a gauge of how the other DCI carriers are doing compared to PCL just in case all this "downgrade" stuff isn't just bluster.

Well, YOU'RE no fun. :)

How much are your reserves flying? I'm just trying to get a gauge of how the other DCI carriers are doing compared to PCL just in case all this "downgrade" stuff isn't just bluster.

Yeah Surreal is the only one I know who thinks their airline's info is G14 classified.:D

To answer your question, I've heard some of our reserves haven't flown in months. Especially on the 200. My 200 IOE instructor said scheduling is pulling line FOs off flights and pairing a reserve guy who hadn't flown in a while with an IOE instructor to get them back up to speed.

Rob they're not asking for any amount of volunteers specifically, just saying if you want it its there. COMA lines were also extended from a max of one month to one year.

The big rumor out there right now is that "the hammer" will come down after new years with everyone not furlough protected by the contract being furloughed. Hopefully it will not come to that.

To answer your question, I've heard some of our reserves haven't flown in months. Especially on the 200. My 200 IOE instructor said scheduling is pulling line FOs off flights and pairing a reserve guy who hadn't flown in a while with an IOE instructor to get them back up to speed.

Not sure about the Delta side, but I know on the NWA side our reserve CAs are flying about 30-40 hours a month, so we're not that bad yet. In fact, I flew more this month than any other month, and I've still got 6 reserve days left to go. I flew almost as much last week as I did in September.

The big rumor out there right now is that "the hammer" will come down after new years with everyone not furlough protected by the contract being furloughed. Hopefully it will not come to that.

Wow. Let's hope not.

The reserves have been well used in the last two months. At least one very junior reserve pilot posting on this thread broke guarantee this month.

The voluntary furlough offer is a sick joke the company. Who in their right mind would take that when the company is also offering year long LOAs???

On the bright side, at least the company is doing something to mitigate furloughs.

BTW, I wouldn't consider the so called streak over until the furloughs are involuntary.

The reserves have been well used in the last two months. At least one very junior reserve pilot posting on this thread broke guarantee this month.

The voluntary furlough offer is a sick joke the company. Who in their right mind would take that when the company is also offering year long LOAs???

On the bright side, at least the company is doing something to mitigate furloughs.

BTW, I wouldn't consider the so called streak over until the furloughs are involuntary.

To me a furlough is a furlough. At least its just voluntarily right now. Maybe they are offering the involuntary furloughs for those who could not bid a COMA line and still want time off. I'd imagine they're not going to give an unlimited amount of 1 year COMAs

Yes, in full disclosure I have broken MMG this month.

I'm sorry I'm not all giddy at the prospect of being put out of work.

Glad to hear people getting to fly plenty this month. I've only heard on 200 guys not flying for months. The 700 is staffed pretty lean. After all the "200 is much shorter reserve" hooplala during indoc turns out the 700 was the quickest way to a line. Out of 210 pilots line awards went all the way to #185. Granted the lines were spread out with none over 75hrs and several senior FOs bidding RSV.

It's because SH is a chicken #### who can't come out and say it. Everyone knows that no one will take the voluntary F's if there are still COMA's and LOA's on the table. This is a way of creeping into the hot bath rather than just hopping in. They've been doing it all along and the soap gets lathered in January. The memo has been sent. Hard part's over. Now all SH's gotta do is copy and send it again without the "voluntary".

Protected by the contract? I don't think it matters. It's a way to make those "protected" feel that way. If they need to furlough more they will, Delta did it, AirTran did it...who's to say ASA won't. I'd like to think that they wouldn't but who knows.

I'm on the 200 and have come close to breaking 75 two months in a row. And have come close many other months. It's the CMF option, but those who don't have that option don't fly too much.

I don't think that SH is a chicken _____. He may be prepping us for the inevitable but at least our jobs aren't taken lightly. I'm glad we have the management we have because most other companies aren't so lucky. I like Brad Holt alot too. He's done alot to the airline the past year. I hate to say it but the recent ASA MEC letters have led me to believe that the union isn't doing much, if anything at all to keep us around.

I'd like to know how many they need to take COMAs. I'd much rather take a COMA for a year then be "F"ed for one. At least then I can have some medical insurance that won't cost a fortune for that time. But at the same time I don't want to take a year COMA and get "F"ed six months in. I'd rather use that time to acquire some more flight time. I don't think I'll come back if we get called back. I'm thinking about getting out of the industry and going to Law school or something. I especially won't come back to ASA if they only fly for Delta. I want nothing to do with that company.

Yeah Surreal is the only one I know who thinks their airline's info is G14 classified.:D

Not even close.

I just don't see the point in speculating on our management's potential decisions on an internet web forum that is available for non-company eyes.

I have no issue discussing and speculating on our respective futures on a private, secure, accountable crew room located elsewhere.

I just don't necessarily see any benefit in having everyone and their mother being able to join in on the speculative fun. At least that is the theory that I subscribe to when it comes to my company, if others want it some other way - so be it - and they'll get the continued involvement by anyone who clicks on their threads.

Further, it's difficult to speculate on our respective futures when it seems we have in our midst enough shiny eyed giddy joy regarding the prospects of people being put out of work. Sorry, I can't share in that "enjoyment."

Glad to hear people getting to fly plenty this month. I've only heard on 200 guys not flying for months. The 700 is staffed pretty lean. After all the "200 is much shorter reserve" hooplala during indoc turns out the 700 was the quickest way to a line. Out of 210 pilots line awards went all the way to #185. Granted the lines were spread out with none over 75hrs and several senior FOs bidding RSV.

I've accrued 29hrs of *credit* this month...about 10hrs of which were accrued through the 4hrs of min credit for ready reserve assignments. So i've flown about 19hrs this month on the -200. I am also call me first. I would hardly call that "flying plenty".

Back