"The RJ v.s. The 737"

ClipperPilot

\"The RJ v.s. The 737\"

When if anything, do you guys think that the 737 will see its fate by the RJ? It looks like things might be heading in a direction everyone is forseeing as of now, what used to be half filled fatboys taken over by the sleek RJ. I actually like the 737 very much, but even with factors such as economical flights, wouldnt the airlines hop right on this, if they already hav'nt? Whats holding them back? Am i way off base or in the clouds here, caus i dont have an IR hehe.
wink.gif

Re: \"The RJ v.s. The 737\"

Here is a little nugget of info to think about...

Mesa airlines who flies as FRONTIER Jet express and uses 50 seat CRJs out of DEN to fly to places such as OKC, TUS, SAN, ICT, and OAK is now using a 737-200.

737s replacing RJs? Perhaps the industry upturn is on its way?

The 737 is a FRONTIER 737 that just recently finished its service with Frontier. I am now wondering who is flying it. I doubt there are too many Mesa pilots that are current and know how to fly a 737 so they must be contracting out Frontier pilots for the flights. Its flight #ers are Mesa flight #ers too.

I'm not an expert here or anything, but I think if anything forces the 737 out it will be the A-318 and A319. Probably a little more expensive though.

It probably depends on the 737.

Like a 737-200 and a 737-800 are two different aircraft entirely.

In my humble opinion, the 737-800 is more of a smaller 757 than a superstretch "FLUFF".

Alas, the problem with the 737 is that Boeing more or less created a 737 that could fly anywhere, but still keep the (lack of) comfort of a 737 with a longer stage length.

I don't know what Airbus did differently, but man o man, what a comfy ride. In my humble opinion, the only aircraft more comfy (in coach) than an Airbus is an American Airlines Super-80 with the "More Room Throughout Coach" configuration.

Well it's a proven fact that the new 737 (Next Gens) can fly higher, farther,cheaper and faster then the entire A320 family.

As for the A318 and A319 Boeing created the B-737-600,700 to compete directly with them. And the 737-800,900 to compete directly with the larger A320,A321.

And if Boeing has it's way it's going to stretch the 737-900 into an ER version (extended range) able to carry 220 people in order to compete more directly with the inroads the A321 has made in the 737 market.

Thus killing any hope of the B-757 being saved from the chopping block but oh well... thats for another thread.

P.S. Yes Boeing has there stamp firmly on my ass but the A320 series would definately be my favorite Airbus aircraft so I'm like not totally bias.

Also I think Boeing should seriously think bout coming out with a replacement for the B-737. I think they have done all they can with 1970's technology and design.

Boeing will not replace the 737 as long as Southwest is flying them.

[ QUOTE ]
Boeing will not replace the 737 as long as Southwest is flying them.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are probably right because isn't that one of the only planes they use?

[ QUOTE ]
You are probably right because isn't that one of the only planes they use?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not "one of" the only planes... THE only plane.

Heard the 737 is not a very comfy fit for some pilots. Why is that? Will a dude 6'3"/210 (give or take.. more give than take right now
wink.gif
) have a problem down the line?

Eek! If I had a choice between flying a 737-900ER and another aircraft type on a transcon, I'd choose the other aircraft type!

I've come to the realization that engineers marvel at the technical performance of the aircraft, as do the bean counters at the airline, but no one seems to think whether or not the cabin is comfortable for that long of a flight.

[ QUOTE ]

Well it's a proven fact that the new 737 (Next Gens) can fly higher, farther,cheaper and faster then the entire A320 family.

As for the A318 and A319 Boeing created the B-737-600,700 to compete directly with them. And the 737-800,900 to compete directly with the larger A320,A321.

And if Boeing has it's way it's going to stretch the 737-900 into an ER version (extended range) able to carry 220 people in order to compete more directly with the inroads the A321 has made in the 737 market.

Thus killing any hope of the B-757 being saved from the chopping block but oh well... thats for another thread.

P.S. Yes Boeing has there stamp firmly on my ass but the A320 series would definately be my favorite Airbus aircraft so I'm like not totally bias.

Also I think Boeing should seriously think bout coming out with a replacement for the B-737. I think they have done all they can with 1970's technology and design.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 7E7 will be intended to fill the niche between the longest 737 series and the 757 (gone) & 767-ER (probably the only 67s being built by 2005). That is, if the 7E7 even gets built.

I hate to say it, but between coach in a 777 and coach in an A340, I'd take the 340, tho I suppose it might depend on the airline. I flew an SAS A340 to Copenhagen last year and it was nearly as comfortable as the time I got to ride free in 1st Class on a Delta 757 from ATL to SEA (sorry Doug). Maybe the new 777-300ER will be the best of them all.

Back