The Federal Aviation Administration Employee Retention Act

wve_iii

I figured it would be nice to have a thread to discuss and follow the progress of this bill through congress. Last I saw it was read twice and referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. I found a the GPO copy of the bill here...

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_bills&docid=f:s3416is.txt.pdf

Does anyone know much about the odds of this passing through? Dont know a whole lot about the process but trying to learn more. I wonder if Bush would veto or if it would take enough time that it might come to "Obama's" :)argue:) desk?

Re: The Federal Aviation Administration Employee Retention A

As I remember my old high school civics, if the bill comes out of committee, then is passed by a majority of the Senate, it goes to the President. Then he has 10 days to sign it into law or veto the bill. Doubtful that Congress would override a veto of this bill.

Since we're coming up on the end of the year, Congress could adjourn after passing the bill. If the President doesn't sign it within 10 days, it's dead (pocket veto) and will need to be brought up again in the next Congress.

Either way, the next President won't see THIS bill.

Interesting that Jim Inhofe is the co-sponsor. He's one of the rock-solid right-wing Republicans in the Senate.

When does congress adjourn for this session? If it passes the committee it then will go to the House; if it passes the House, it will then goes to Senate. After passing Senate as stated above, it go to the President to sign or Veto. If it were to be undecided in committee or not pass the House or Senate, it could be reintroduced for next legislation session...not sure if that will happen though.

^^ :laff:

Attachments

• law.gif
    law.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 100

This bill (as a stand alone) will not be voted on, there is not enough time ... instead it is a litmus test being used by the union (NATCA) to test our support (or opposition) in the senate when it comes to fixing the labor dispute. With the elections coming up fast NATCA needs to know who is with us and who will get PAC $$$ ... if NATCA can get say 60 cosponsors on the bill they then have a case to pressure the democratic leadership to get the bill to the floor either as a stand alone or as part of other legislation.

Interesting that Jim Inhofe is the co-sponsor. He's one of the rock-solid right-wing Republicans in the Senate.

He's generally been fair towards NATCA ... plus his home state is HQ for FAA training, the more $$$ the new hires get the more $$$ they spend in OKC.

I just found out you can "open" a thumbnail by simply hovering over it.

Wow, whadda ya know. This day wasn't pointless after all :buck:.

hes also very big into aviation, in a good way

Back