The Christmas Meltdown

I’m starting to believe this is absolutely a thing. Reserve pilots have ALL gotten smart and started setting up their schedules to pick up premium pay on off days. Not only is it paid above guarantee, but it removes long call days. There are zero reserves available ever, leading to even more premium time. I bid reserve and have no intention of flying a reserve trip this month. The only thing that is going to break the cycle is several thousand more pilots or several thousand fewer departures per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, last month ended with 125 hour line 4 days on call, few GS trips and banked another 2 days and spent 20 nights in my own bed. People are so deathly afraid of reserve (usually because of a regional), so they avoid the some of the greatest QOL. Granted you need GS’s to be going for it be effective, or willing to work on weekends etc. I only pull it off every few months, then won’t work GS’s anymore and just bare minimum.

Yup, last month ended with 125 hour line 4 days on call, few GS trips and banked another 2 days and spent 20 nights in my own bed. People are so deathly afraid of reserve (usually because of a regional), so they avoid the some of the greatest QOL. Granted you need GS’s to be going for it be effective, or willing to work on weekends etc. I only pull it off every few months, then won’t work GS’s anymore and just bare minimum.

For the life of me I don’t know why more people don’t bid reserve right now. There are a handful of downside items, but they’re usually situational. Fine with me. I get the most of the days off I want and fly whatever days and trip lengths I want even when I’m not angling for green slips.

For the life of me I don’t know why more people don’t bid reserve right now. There are a handful of downside items, but they’re usually situational. Fine with me. I get the most of the days off I want and fly whatever days and trip lengths I want even when I’m not angling for green slips.

Yeah and when I have friends who bid reserve they don’t know how to bid. You tell them this and they’re confused, then bid 4 on 3 off all month. I just stopped trying to tell my friends. They just do whatever they want to do. I swear they are deathly afraid of being on call.

Back