The Beginning of the End for Sun Country.....

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
....Sun Country Airlines employees learned today that their paychecks will be cut in half on Oct. 7 because the airline is suffering from a cash squeeze and will not be asking embattled owner Tom Petters for financial help.

This is the same guy that has been funneling cash into the airline and is now under a federal investigation for a multi-million $$ fraud scheme and by some estimates, billion dollar...

Complete Article - from Star Tribune

I don't know if this was the title of the article, but if I were a Sun Country employee I wouldn't be too pleased with this conjecture, especially from a mod. Let the events play themselves out however they may. It's obviously a stressful time for many in the industry and if I read that title about my airline as we were trying to work through issues, I'd be miffed.

I don't know if this was the title of the article, but if I were a Sun Country employee I wouldn't be too pleased with this conjecture, especially from a mod. Let the events play themselves out however they may. It's obviously a stressful time for many in the industry and if I read that title about my airline as we were trying to work through issues, I'd be miffed.

What, does my status as a mod prevent me from posting anything and having an opinion? I know several people that work there and they are indeed unsettled to say the least.

...And in another article just posted within the last hour the CEO of Petters Group, Tom Petters has resigned from all of his management posts.

...He will no longer be involved in day-to-day operations of Petters Group Worldwide and indepedent operating companies, including Polaroid and Sun Country Airlines.

The main way that the company has stayed afloat in the recent gas/economy crunch has been with the influx of cash from Tom Petters fortune. If that money is not there, they are reducing wages 50% and hoping for it to get better by December it does not look good.

What, does my status as a mod prevent me from posting anything and having an opinion? I know several people that work there and they are indeed unsettled to say the least.

...And in another article just posted within the last hour the CEO of Petters Group, Tom Petters has resigned from all of his management posts.

The main way that the company has stayed afloat in the recent gas/economy crunch has been with the influx of cash from Tom Petters fortune. If that money is not there, they are reducing wages 50% and hoping for it to get better by December it does not look good.

I think you should give him a 24 hour suspension or something..

What, does my status as a mod prevent me from posting anything and having an opinion?

I can relate to what he is getting at. Your position as a mod does put limits onto what you voice and how you voice it.

I don't disagree with your analysis of their situation, I think maybe it's just easier to let the facts speak for themselves.

For instance...If SouthernJets International were about to go into bankruptcy I wouldn't post, "Looks like SouthernJets employees should look for new work." It would be my personal opinion, and it might be true but nevertheless it's conjecture about the livelihood of many.

Maybe it's just Sun Country isn't as well known so it doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Yea, I'm not too happy. I'm now making minimum wage.

My dad and I are both Sun Country Employees.

Such a shame to see this happen to such a great airline, so many great people. We're still holding strong, everybody still had smiles on their faces today.

I can relate to what he is getting at. Your position as a mod does put limits onto what you voice and how you voice it.

This is beyond the scope of the post, but it most certainly does not. I do think a little more about how things will be viewed but it does not put limits on what I can or cannot say.

Rest assured that if I cross that line that you really have no place in determining, Doug would be the first to talk with me.

Yea, I'm not too happy. I'm now making minimum wage.

Such a shame to see this happen to such a great airline, so many great people. We're still holding strong, everybody still had smiles on their faces today.

It is indeed a shame to see it happen. I have flown Sun Country many times and it is a breath of fresh air when compared with the masses over at the Lindbergh Terminal.

As I mentioned I know plenty if people that work including the former Chief Pilot from the fbo where I did my training. He was a former DC-10 FO (I believe) with them then got furloughed. He recently (last year or two) got hired back on as a 73 FO. He was also the DE on my IR Ride. A great person who unfortunatley may end up furloughed again.

I recently spent a decent amount of time around several of the current 36 furloughees. They have only hired two pilots since 9/11.

I hope the company makes it but none of them were too optimistic and weren't keeping their hopes up.

The airline did shutdown for a month or two in 2001 and a lot of people thought it was the end then. It came back when funds were found for it to do so.

This is beyond the scope of the post, but it most certainly does not. I do think a little more about how things will be viewed but it does not put limits on what I can or cannot say.

Rest assured that if I cross that line that you really have no place in determining, Doug would be the first to talk with me.

Mods have an opinion and are privy to all the rights (or lack thereof!) of normal users of the website!

Quote:
Airline leaders say they expect to survive a cash crisis but warned of layoffs or a shutdown as early as Dec. 1 to comply with a 60-day notification law.

article

Good Luck folks and I hope you find the financing to make it through.

Good luck. Its very sad to hear about SY. I have jumpseated on them a couple times and the crews have been nothing but great. We had a few pilots as well as F/As go over there from my airline. I wish you all the best

From Star Tribune:

Sun Country Airlines, facing a cash shortage, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection today.

Petters Aviation, which owns all of Sun Country's voting shares, also filed.

"We were forced to take this action as a result of recent events at Petters Group Worldwide," Sun Country CEO Stan Gadek said in a prepared statement.

The Mendota Heights-based carrier had planned to obtain an operating loan from Petters Group late this year. Instead, the low-fare airline is facing a cash shortage because Tom Petters has been arrested and charged in a federal fraud case.

Sun Country and its executives have not been under investigation by federal agents.

The bankruptcy filing gives the carrier some relief from its creditors as Sun Country restructures in bankruptcy.

Sun Country will continue to fly its regular schedule during the bankruptcy.

Sun Country previously was in bankruptcy and exited in 2002 under new ownership.

Back